PAC12

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The conference gets crapped on quite a but...some deserved, some not. No matter what happens in the night cap, 3 of the elite 8 teams will be from <best Bill Walton voice> the conference of champions.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith UCLA didn't beat the Zags on the court on Saturday but they sure had a part in beating them tonight.

IN part I guess but honestly I don't think any team in the country would have beaten Baylor last night. They were unguardable and they have much better rim protection than UCLA does. That's the reason the UCLA run was so amazing, when Jalen Hill left the team, with Smith out injured, they lost their 2 biggest and longest players and they lost more than half their shot blocks. To get to the FF with Cody Riley as your C on defense and Jaquez as the PF was pretty remarkable.

I don't think we would have beaten Baylor but I think it would have been closer, we would have slowed the game down and tried to frustrate them. Gonzaga just tried to run like they'd done all year, but Baylor was better at it.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IN part I guess but honestly I don't think any team in the country would have beaten Baylor last night. They were unguardable and they have much better rim protection than UCLA does. That's the reason the UCLA run was so amazing, when Jalen Hill left the team, with Smith out injured, they lost their 2 biggest and longest players and they lost more than half their shot blocks. To get to the FF with Cody Riley as your C on defense and Jaquez as the PF was pretty remarkable.

I don't think we would have beaten Baylor but I think it would have been closer, we would have slowed the game down and tried to frustrate them. Gonzaga just tried to run like they'd done all year, but Baylor was better at it.

Gonzaga looked flat, tired and dead legged. I think it was due to the UCLA game. I agree 100% that nobody would have beaten Baylor last night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAC-12 is hiring George Kliavkoff as new commissioner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PAC-12 is hiring George Kliavkoff as new commissioner.

Interesting hire. Prepping for the crush of gambling and hopefully getting the PAC in front of more eyes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting hire. Prepping for the crush of gambling and hopefully getting the PAC in front of more eyes

It certainly seems the PAC-12 has learned their lesson. They need national sports coverage.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With OU and Texas exploring a jump to the SEC, the PAC 12 needs to be ready to make a move to scoop up teams.

Assuming OU and Texas leave, the Big 12 will likely collapse. How will the rest of the dominos fall? I haven't taken into account any academic considerations in my thoughts.

WV: natural fit with the ACC.
Kansas and Iowa State: natural fits for the B1G.
K state: They'll be lucky to tag along with Kansas.
Texas Tech, OSU, Baylor, and TCU: I think the Texas schools try stick together with OSU and the PAC 12 makes the most sense as a landing spot, but I don't think the PAC 12 is keen on private religious schools like Baylor and TCU joining. But the PAC 12 may be forced to swallow that pill.

With a PAC 16, you get two pretty clean divisions. The original PAC 8 teams and a South Western division comprised of Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Texas Tech, OSU, Baylor, and TCU.

Future expansion within the rapidly growing region could come from UNM, UNLV, Nevada, BYU, Boise State, Colorado State, and SDSU to name a few. But these schools all have differing issues like academics, religion, undesirable TV markets, or uncompetitive football programs.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is talk of an alliance between the Big Ten, ACC and PAC 12.

This could be an interesting alternative to teams splitting off and going elsewhere.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There is talk of an alliance between the Big Ten, ACC and PAC 12.

This could be an interesting alternative to teams splitting off and going elsewhere.

All working together to combat the SEC, but none really offer enough to really win that fight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All working together to combat the SEC, but none really offer enough to really win that fight.

I'm interested in seeing what it looks like. Those three conferences control a lot of teams and buying power if they can find a way to make it work.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this alliance could spur the PAC 12 to expand to 14 to match the ACC and Big 10 and eventually all 3 to expand to 16. I could see some inter-conference scheduling based on prior year's finish with 1v1, 2v2...14v14.

If the PAC 12 goes to 14, I think OK State and Texas Tech are the obvious choices. 16 is where it gets interesting and you could see a Houston level up.

The schedule would be tight. Right now, PAC 12 schools plays 8 conference games and 4 non-conference games. So you could fit an ACC and BIG 10 match-up based on prior season's position which leaves 2 games for non-power 5 schools and USC and Stanford can still play Notre Dame.

It could work. You would get a couple big headliners each year, but also some real stinkers. ASU vs Wake Forest or Duke sounds pretty bad.

If it hurts the SEC and helps the PAC 12 get a better TV deal then, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this alliance could spurn the PAC 12 to expand to 14 to match the ACC and Big 10 and eventually all 3 to expand to 16. I could see some inter-conference scheduling based on prior year's finish with 1v1, 2v2...14v14.

If the PAC 12 goes to 14, I think OK State and Texas Tech are the obvious choices. 16 is where it gets interesting and you could see a Houston level up.

The schedule would be tight. Right now, PAC 12 schools plays 8 conference games and 4 non-conference games. So you could fit an ACC and BIG 10 match-up based on prior season's position which leaves 2 games for non-power 5 schools and USC and Stanford can still play Notre Dame.

It could work. You would get a couple big headliners each year, but also some real stinkers. ASU vs Wake Forest or Duke sounds pretty bad.

If it hurts the SEC and helps the PAC 12 get a better TV deal then, I'm all for it.
The only thing that will hurt the SEC is the SEC itself and they are the best run conference.

I am not so sure the PAC needs to expand and depending on this alliance they may not need to. I don't see the benefit of Tech or OK State. They need the PAC more than the PAC needs them. Texas going to the SEC only solidifies their home state recruiting edge and it will be battle royale with A&M.

Tech and OK State don't bring game changing eyes to the TV equation. Once you factor in time zone difference for a CA game, it gets worse

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to rush into this. The critical thing is getting the TV thing settled, especially with the PAC12 Network.

I'm not sure about the expansion part but fixing relatively low fan viewership of PAC 12 games compared to a conference like the SEC is a must.