Overwatch

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
New FPS game from Blizzard that comes out May 24th. Open beta is from May 5-9, or if you pre-order you get an extra 2 days. I got invited to the closed beta and played it a bit during the first wave, but have been playing only this game for a while since it came back online in Feb. It's a class based FPS, similar to TF2, with 3 game modes as of right now and matches consisting of 6 player teams. I never got into TF2, but did play and enjoy FPS games (Battlefield series, CoD, etc).

This is an incredibly fun game so far. It's easy to pick up and play, even if you don't have FPS experience or great aim, because there are heroes that don't require that great aim to contribute to your team. It's launching with 21 heroes on both consoles and PC, and Blizzard plans on releasing new heroes, maps, and game modes at no additional cost. Like I said, it's a closed beta right now for PC, but they will have an open beta, early access period to stress test everything before launch that will include consoles as well.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In Blizzard fashion, the cinematic trailer is pretty sweet:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool trailer. The gameplay looks insanely complicated, though, for someone like me.

#atariforever

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cool trailer. The gameplay looks insanely complicated, though, for someone like me.

#atariforever

It's actually really easy to learn and play, but hard to master and be really good with certain heroes. Besides the movement keys and 2 mouse buttons, you have 3 main keys.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Quite a few of you play on consoles, so I wanted to share this. The game looks quite well, staying at a near constant 60 FPS.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of Team Fortress 2...which I am not a fan of.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Loved the beta. Really wasn't paying attention to it. Played battleborn, didn't like it. Thought I'd give this a try and it really hooked me. Pre-ordered it.

It plays alot like TF2, which for me is great. Loved that game. Plays well and crisp on PC. Even using a controller. It's funny, I tried the beta on both PC and PS4, and the controller works better on PC. The turning on the PS4 version feels off.

It also plays well on lower systems, while higher systems using a GTX 970 or above can easily get 90-110 FPS or above before dips.

There's like 21 characters, so there's tons of different styles. It's broken down into like 4 different classes. Attackers, defenders, support, and something else. But within those classes they all play different.

Personally I liked the big Ape Winston, Junkrat (like TF2 demoman), D.VA, Torborjn (like TF2 engineer), Reaper, Tracer, Bastion.

But there's some really great other ones too.

Tons of fun, and only $39.99 on PC.

Oh and 9.7 million people played Overwatch, which means it had a bigger Beta than Star Wars: Battlefront which had 9.5 million.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Loved the beta. Really wasn't paying attention to it. Played battleborn, didn't like it. Thought I'd give this a try and it really hooked me. Pre-ordered it.

It plays alot like TF2, which for me is great. Loved that game. Plays well and crisp on PC. Even using a controller. It's funny, I tried the beta on both PC and PS4, and the controller works better on PC. The turning on the PS4 version feels off.

It also plays well on lower systems, while higher systems using a GTX 970 or above can easily get 90-110 FPS or above before dips.

There's like 21 characters, so there's tons of different styles. It's broken down into like 4 different classes. Attackers, defenders, support, and something else. But within those classes they all play different.

Personally I liked the big Ape Winston, Junkrat (like TF2 demoman), D.VA, Torborjn (like TF2 engineer), Reaper, Tracer, Bastion.

But there's some really great other ones too.

Tons of fun, and only $39.99 on PC.

Oh and 9.7 million people played Overwatch, which means it had a bigger Beta than Star Wars: Battlefront which had 9.5 million.

The beta was so smooth, it didn't feel like a beta. I got invited last year, but couldn't play until a week before it went down in December. They changed and improved quite a bit along the way, and the development team was pretty great and communicated a lot with the community. They'll also be adding heroes and maps after release, and they will be free. The loot available in game is only for cosmetic things, so you won't be at a disadvantage because of gear or upgrades if you get started late. Really easy to learn, but hard to master, at least for me, on some heroes. I liked Genji, enjoyed playing him, and watching other really good players do amazing things with him, but I was pretty average/bad with him.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a ton of fun, and so glad that there are so many more people playing now. The beta was nice, the open beta even better, and it's still loads of fun for me. 94 score on Metacritic as of this post. I've seen this echoed all over the place, but I haven't been this excited for a game in a long, long time. Blizzard did great.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I loved this game but:

- quickly gets old
- it is only really fun in a casual group, playing solo is not too much fun

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a lot more fun with a group of friends. Solo queue can be rough at times, and that's partly because the game is best when coordinating and attacking or defending as a team. Voice comms make any game much better, otherwise the game can feel shallow. If you get a chance, watch some competitive teams play and/or scrimmage (whenever they make those public).

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This game is a blast. Anyone playing? My gamer tag or whatever you call it is Photossan

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone playing on PS4? I need teammates for my Comp placement matches. I have been gettin screwed thus far. 2 leavers and 1 team that just got destroyed.

You may ask if all that was due to me, lol no I dont think so but I guess you will just have to come play with me and find out yourself!

Friend me! Photossan

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BRR why aren't you playing this game??? :(

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRR why aren't you playing this game??? :(

Well I do not have a playstation so since I cant play with you I am not motivated for it.

In all honesty, im not even sure what the game is, its getting rave reviews but I am still trying to beat far cry primal and afterwards I like it so much I might buy far cry 4. Then Ubisoft is making a open world ghost recon like far cry that I am really interested in and am looking forward to RDR2 coming later this year.

I'm not sure if any other games can really crack my lineup with my limited playtime availability.

I checked a brief video of overwatch and it looks like battleborn, I hated battleborn.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
After my catastrophic placement matches, I finally worked my way up to gold just in the nick of time before Season 3 ended.

Do they redo the placement matches for Comp after every season?

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After my catastrophic placement matches, I finally worked my way up to gold just in the nick of time before Season 3 ended.

Do they redo the placement matches for Comp after every season?

Thus far, yes. Had to re-do placement matches at the start of season 3, but your rank from the previous season heavily influenced where you were placed. Not sure if they'll keep the placement matches to start the season, or they'll change it, yet again.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thus far, yes. Had to re-do placement matches at the start of season 3, but your rank from the previous season heavily influenced where you were placed. Not sure if they'll keep the placement matches to start the season, or they'll change it, yet again.

I'm playing on PC now, because all the cool kids told me that only "newbs" play on PS4 lol.

Fun fact, I am not good at playing games on PC apparently, because I'm pretty good at this on PS4 and I'm embarrassingly bad on PC thus far. :( Which button is my ulta gain?? Damnit where's the Q??? Oh I'm dead... :(

PS4 I wound up at 1600ish in Silver. How did your season 3 turn out SO?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm playing on PC now, because all the cool kids told me that only "newbs" play on PS4 lol.

Fun fact, I am not good at playing games on PC apparently, because I'm pretty good at this on PS4 and I'm embarrassingly bad on PC thus far. :( Which button is my ulta gain?? Damnit where's the Q??? Oh I'm dead... :(

PS4 I wound up at 1600ish in Silver. How did your season 3 turn out SO?

I hate playing games on PC personally. I know it is more accurate and whatnot but I dont want to sit at a computer OR use a keyboard. I'm okay with being a noob on a console. Controllers make it fun for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I hate playing games on PC personally. I know it is more accurate and whatnot but I dont want to sit at a computer OR use a keyboard. I'm okay with being a noob on a console. Controllers make it fun for me.
Agree, the fun factor is wayyyyy higher on console.

Plus the people on PC talk way less and type everything out on the keyboard, which is way less efficient way to communicate in-game, but it's only ever used for stuff like:

"You guys are bad." "get wreked" "OMG newb"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, the fun factor is wayyyyy higher on console.

Plus the people on PC talk way less and type everything out on the keyboard, which is way less efficient way to communicate in-game, but it's only ever used for stuff like:

"You guys are bad." "get wreked" "OMG newb"
2ez

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave