Overtime Solution - just for fun

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
A ten minute OT and you must go for two if you score a TD. Two TO for each team and a no two minute warning. Now for the fun part, if still tied after ten minutes you start kicking FGs starting at the 40 yd line. Only a snapper at the standard 7 yards and there is a three man rush to block it but they have to start say 10-15 yards away. A distance that gives them a chance to block it but far enough to make it so the kick will get off unless the kicking team messes up a little or the kick is low. If blocked the defensive team gets two points and wins the game. Or you can do the standard FG try and if blocked the defense gets two points to win the game. Each try moves back 5 yds. for each successful kick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, with all the hand-wringing and complaining about how the Bills offense never got a chance, I thought it would be fun to post ideas, serious or ridiculous.

My ridiculous (but I think it would be really exciting) idea. No coin flip. Both teams offenses start on the opposing teams 25, just like college. But this would happen at the same time.

So picture that Overtime starts. Bills Offense on KC's 25 going against KC's defense, and KC's offense on the Bills 25 going against the Bills D. The ref blows the whistle and whoever scores a touchdown first, wins the game. No 4 downs, just go until someone scores. If the Defense intercepts the pass or forces a fumble, it stops the play and the offense can't snap the ball for 10 seconds.

Can you imagine watching split screen as both teams are trying to score at the same time? Talk about frenetic crazy heart-pounding action! I'd love to see the USFL try it our just for ****'s and giggles.
The easiest solution would simply allow each team have one possession. After that, sudden death.
But if the Bills fans are angry be mad at your team

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could go with eliminating sudden death (give each team a chance to possess the ball).

However, as much as I was happy to see buffalo take the lead with 13 seconds left, you got to admit the better team won. Buffalos defense was completely out of gas.
Both defenses were out of gas. Buffalo would have scored also had they won the toss. Keep it sudden death, but if one team scores a TD on their 1st drive, the other team gets a possession to also score a TD. After that, the next score wins.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
This would be fun but I think would need to start at the 35. That should give both teams enough room.

I'd add in that if either team gets pushed back past the 45 due to pens or sacks they lose.
It’s funny, I thought starting from the 25 because Kyler could scramble backwards for 25 yards and get hurt. I like your idea of losing too many yards costing the game.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just play 15 minutes more and then whoever has won then wins. You can get the ball 20 times. It won’t matter. If for some reason it’s tied there. The kickers kick 52 yard fgs till one makes and the other misses

Oklahoma Card

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is interesting but the real question is, "How often does the team with the first possession score a touchdown?" The only issue I hear (I don't agree with BTW) is that the other team doesn't get a chance if that first TD is scored. Beyond that, everything is "equal".

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Modified College Rules is the answer. College Overtime is very exciting, and allows all three phases to impact the outcome. Offense, Defense, or ST.

Start them at the 40 going in. If the team fails to gain a yard its a 57 yard FG, which is very difficult.

You can still do a coinflip, but the only advantage would be going on defense first so you know what you have to do to win.

It is the only scenario short of just extending the game with the same rules that allows each team an equal chance to have all their player impact the outcome.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if it is still tied,...

you get the idea.

imagine how beat up a team could get trying to win a playoff game and having to play 7, 8, 10 quarters of football.

teams will get creative, take more chances...to get it over.

MLB does it like that dont they?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose