Overall Takes from the Saints Game

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
1. Our offense was fired up this night compared to other games. Everyone seemed to be playing and executing on a higher or faster level. But why is that? Who or what made the difference?

2. We finally got a few breaks, and even calls, going our way at a couple needed times. I know you make your own breaks, but still they have to present you with the opportunity. We got some opportunities vs the Saints that we hadn't gotten earlier in the year. And we cashed in on them!

3. Kyler looked good and it IS amazing is naturally accuracy at throwing the ball. He still threw a step behind his receivers when they were crossing the short middle a couple times. That hurts your drives, and maybe due to being so small in the pocket and having to throw through such thin windows when he can't throw over the linemen. I don't know really, but he seems set and they seem like easy throws compared to other longer throws he threads the needle on so well.

4. Our D has really saved us so far, but still they give up way too many points each game. It's like they are just letting the other teams have those shorter gains, burning up the clock, and marching down the field in hopes they make a mistake or someone makes a saving play before they reach our end zone.

5. It seems our D players are pretty fast and get to the ball quickly, but they miss way too many tackles when they get there after allowing them to catch all those short passes. I think that D only works if you are going to make the quick tackle on the spot. If you miss, you are so isolated, that the receiver can run free for nice gains.

6. Very entertaining game for our fans in attendance. They deserve a good win to enjoy in our stadium. I'm happy for you all that support the team each week by going to the games.

7. One last take, Murray had more players open to throw the ball to. I wonder if Hopkins presence got the receiving corp to run faster crisper routes and better targets for Murray to hit. Something made them look better Thursday night, and get more open than in the other games.

Big weight off everyone's shoulders!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's incredible the difference Hopkins makes.

Is is possible that Hopkins is the only teammate who like... inspires (or something) our QB1? Does Hop elevate Murray? Is that how great is Hopkins? Because K1 is a different QB when #10 starts and is healthy.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Is is possible that Hopkins is the only teammate who like... inspires (or something) our QB1? Does Hop elevate Murray? Is that how great is Hopkins? Because K1 is a different QB when #10 starts and is healthy.
This is true. He is just so good at every facet. Either he is open or he creates a holding penalty. He is so shifty that he more often than not forces the defender to hold. He extends so many plays in one way or another.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really think Kyler looked that good. 200 yards with as many possessions as we had is not good.

Was the offense better yes, was it anything to get excited about, no. Quite simply it was not good enough to win most games.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he is almost always a viable target to throw the ball to via his ability to get open and win contested catches, and since Kyler tends to lock onto a receiver that is a pretty darn important quality to create success.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such a fun game to be at in person. The entire crowd was electric once we took over the game. The open roof helped. Felt like a real football game.

It was a nice change seeing a penalty flag and not knowing which team it would be called on. Usually, we just throw our hands up and wait for them to blame something on us. It was refreshing to hear holding calls, false starts, etc called on the Saints.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really think Kyler looked that good. 200 yards with as many possessions as we had is not good.

Was the offense better yes, was it anything to get excited about, no. Quite simply it was not good enough to win most games.

Yup

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

When we run the ball so successfully, you wouldn't expect that many passing yards. This is better in my opinion being more balanced and not having to throw so much. Being ahead in a game helps that stat. And I think Murray looked so much more confident in the pocket, expecting to find a receiver to throw to rather than have to bail out and run every down. But that's just one fool's opinion as usual.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
7. One last take, Murray had more players open to throw the ball to. I wonder if Hopkins presence got the receiving corp to run faster crisper routes and better targets for Murray to hit. Something made them look better Thursday night, and get more open than in the other games.

Big weight off everyone's shoulders!
I’m thinking the saints were down their three starting CBs…

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A win is a win. The defense won this game. Not Kyler and not Kliff.
Yes it was nice to see increased motion. Kyler did make some quicker decision on passes in the flat. Still don’t understand why he takes a 6 yard loss rather than flip the ball out of bounds.
Three picks with two going to the house almost gaurantees a win. Yes we kind of went prevent when we established a lead. It’s the same damn thing teams do to us in the fourth quarter when we are behind a bunch.
I doubt we win this game without two pick sixes and that is something you can never count on.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A win is a win. The defense won this game. Not Kyler and not Kliff.
Yes it was nice to see increased motion. Kyler did make some quicker decision on passes in the flat. Still don’t understand why he takes a 6 yard loss rather than flip the ball out of bounds.
There picks with two going to the house almost gaurantees a win. Yes we kind of went prevent when we established a lead. It’s the same damn thing teams do to us in the fourth quarter when we are behind a bunch.

The offense still scored 28 points. That is pretty solid considering.

There's always mistakes and improvements to be made, even on the very best of teams don't have perfect drives all the time.

Think credit should be given all-around. Massive home loss streak, national TV, team headed for a crash and played well considering. First real sign of life all year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offense still scored 28 points. That is pretty solid considering.

There's always mistakes and improvements to be made, even on the very best of teams don't have perfect drives all the time.

Think credit should be given all-around. Massive home loss streak, national TV, team headed for a crash and played well considering. First real sign of life all year.
I get it. But take those 14 points off the board……

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get it. But take those 14 points off the board……
And add in what our offense might have done if we forced a punt, or got tackled at point of interception. We don't know. But we do know we scored 28, which is almost as much as any high point last year.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still think our Offense will be better, next week when we have had some real practice time with Nuk, Robbie Anderson and Dortch/Moore. And Conner and Hudson can play.
On Defense we need to trade for a NT if Lawrence can't play. Both sides of the ball moving in the right direction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA