Over-hyped guys you don’t like

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think this is total crap.

people said the same things about Kyler.

tyreek hill is almost the same size and is a top 5 WR.

If you can produce at an elite level at Alabama you will do well in the nfl.

Hill is 20 pounds heavier and ripped.

Kyler plays a position where you can usually see the hits coming and get down or get out of bounds. His injuries so far have been ankles or pulls, save the one hit at the end of the 49er game where he basically had to try and make the play. WR's by the nature of the position often have their back to the guy who's hitting them. Yes you can get hit hard at QB and get hurt, happens all the time but WR's who catch 100 balls a year are going to take more hits.

I think he'll be a good pro it's just very hard to project how good because he's so unusual. It's also unusual he didn't run for anybody. He's claimed in the past he can run with and even beat Ruggs, but his teammates say in the timed spring runs he ran 40's in the 4.3 to 4.5 range. Alabama is a bit notorious for having fast 40 times, none of the guys in recent years have been as fast as their stated spring 40 times. Even Ruggs who ran 4.27 at the combine had supposedly been clocked under 4.2 at Bama in spring 40's. So if Smith ran 4.3, yeah he's really fast, if he ran 4.5 and their tendency to be faster than reality, he's not as fast as you might like.

He was terrific at Bama in the SEC I think it'd be a huge surprise if he's not a good NFL Wr, and the comp is Harrison and again there's really only been 2 guys in recent history that remind me of Smith, harrison and Isaac Bruce and both were great.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Tyreek Hill was 20lb heavier

Kyler Murray is 45lbs heavier. Kyler. Murray. 45lbs...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But they are outliers. Betting now and again on a player being an outlier can result in success, doing so over and over will likely be a disaster.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Penei Sewell

I worked out with him last August. He was dating a cheerleader, who is the daughter of a friend. He is small and has no engine.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyreek Hill was 20lb heavier

Kyler Murray is 45lbs heavier. Kyler. Murray. 45lbs...

Ok what about Marquis Brown? He weighs 170 and has managed to play almost every game in the last 2 seasons without being broken in half.

This whole thing is ridiculous - if he was likely to get hurt in football, he would have been already after catching 120 balls last season with sec defenders - 1/3 of which become nfl players hitting him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok what about Marquis Brown? He weighs 170 and has managed to play almost every game in the last 2 seasons without being broken in half.

This whole thing is ridiculous - if he was likely to get hurt in football, he would have been already after catching 120 balls last season with sec defenders - 1/3 of which become nfl players hitting him.

Brown HAS been injured. He's also 5'10...which means he is more densely built than Smith who is 6'2...and even then....Brown weighed more than Smith!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

THAT said I don’t think Devonta has Marvin’s feet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brown played 11 games and only had 46 receptions at that weight.

He came back last year at 185lbs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brown played 11 games and only had 46 receptions at that weight.

He came back last year at 185lbs.

Marquis Brown has played in 30 of 32 eligible games.

Smith can easily put on 15 pounds too. To say this is overblown is a tremendous understatement.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Fitts is the real thing. Will have a very good career.
No so sure about the receivers.
Chase - skipped out on the 2020 season to protect his draft stock, big red flag
Smith - 170lbs is bone thin
Waddle - Andy Isabella except he played for Alabama which gave him more exposure

Farley - This guy is Brandon Williams all over again, he has two complete seasons as a cornerback. Thats it, two.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hollywood brown is 180lbs. He’s also 5’9. If you can’t understand the difference between 166 stretched over 6’1 compared to 180 stretched over 5’9 I don’t know what to tell you.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Marquis Brown has played in 30 of 32 eligible games.

Smith can easily put on 15 pounds too. To say this is overblown is a tremendous understatement.
Never say that about a cat who hasn’t been able to do so previously. It’s not a given.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Fitts is the real thing. Will have a very good career.
No so sure about the receivers.
Chase - skipped out on the 2020 season to protect his draft stock, big red flag
Smith - 170lbs is bone thin
Waddle - Andy Isabella except he played for Alabama which gave him more exposure

Farley - This guy is Brandon Williams all over again, he has two complete seasons as a cornerback. Thats it, two.

Except Brandon Williams was just an athlete, while Farley actually played really well.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Smith will get bigger. He’s never going to big but he’s exceptional. Nobody could cover him.
In today’s NFL, his size isn’t as big an issue.
He’s not going to be around at 16 anyway and the only Wr I would trade up for us Chase. He’s AJ Green/ Julio type talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith will get bigger. He’s never going to big but he’s exceptional. Nobody could cover him.
In today’s NFL, his size isn’t as big an issue.
He’s not going to be around at 16 anyway and the only Wr I would trade up for us Chase. He’s AJ Green/ Julio type talent.

He's 4 inches shorter than either one of them and much smaller than Jones.

He's really good, has a chance to be a star but he's not the athletic freak those 2 were entering the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose