Our Running Game

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Going into the final PS game, it is running game that gives me the most concern. First, the two top RB's have not had enough carries, and while Ward and Eno have looked okay, we know that they are playing with and against backups. So, this week, I'm hoping for the following:
1. We play a NO game. And, I don't mean New Orleans. I mean NO Kyler Murray. We start CS and have him play most of the game, and concentrate on running the ball. IMO, that means we need better guard play. So, I'm hoping that Winters and/or Murray are available. Jones has been filling in, but I think that he's a better tackle prospect. If, Winters or Murray won't be ready for the start of the regular season, I think that we should consider a trade or a FA, if any are available.

Anyone agree?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going into the final PS game, it is running game that gives me the most concern. First, the two top RB's have not had enough carries, and while Ward and Eno have looked okay, we know that they are playing with and against backups. So, this week, I'm hoping for the following:
1. We play a NO game. And, I don't mean New Orleans. I mean NO Kyler Murray. We start CS and have him play most of the game, and concentrate on running the ball. IMO, that means we need better guard play. So, I'm hoping that Winters and/or Murray are available. Jones has been filling in, but I think that he's a better tackle prospect. If, Winters or Murray won't be ready for the start of the regular season, I think that we should consider a trade or a FA, if any are available.

Anyone agree?

I don't think any starters play against NO.

If there was ever a game that was going to jinx you with a major injury it's NO on artificial turf in the last game of preseason.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've said for the last 2 years under KK that this OL is vastly overrated. It drives me insane to listen to these moronic announcers try to explain our slump at the end of last season. It was 100% because once we took Murray's legs out of the equation due to his shoulder injury, our OL could not open up holes for our RB's. And our RB play was average also. We constantly had drives where we started 2 & 3, and couldn't get a 1st down having 2 running plays net us almost nothing. I loved the Rodney Hudson trade, but is that enough? And what happens if he gets injured? Humphries has come a long ways, but I don't think he'll ever be a shutdown LT. Murray's escapability covers up the many times when DJ completely whiffs his man. The rest of this OL group is below average & Beachum is well below average. I do like Kugler, so I'm hoping he can coach this group up enough to get us in the playoffs. We absolutely have to be able to run the ball without 90% of it being from Murray's scrambles.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any starters play against NO.

If there was ever a game that was going to jinx you with a major injury it's NO on artificial turf in the last game of preseason.
I agree. I refuse to believe 2 quarters of” serious” football is going to prepare this team for a real game two weeks later.
if we ain’t ready now we ain’t going to be ready on opening day.
I can see the quotes after the first gamealready.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I refuse to believe 2 quarters of” serious” football is going to prepare this team for a real game two weeks later.
if we ain’t ready now we ain’t going to be ready on opening day.
I can see the quotes after the first gamealready.
I will be shocked beyond words if we can beat TN in the opener. I watched very little of the TN/TB game, but TN's first team dominated TB's. Granted, it's preseason, and that means absolutely nothing. If our O comes out and goes 3 & out a couple of times, then we can find ourselves down 14-0, and TN will then run the ball down our throats. We'll put 7 in the box & then Tannehill will have a field day with our secondary. If we don't score 10 points in the 1st quarter, we're in deep trouble to get embarrassed.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pa, you make it sound like there will be a LOT of money won on 9/12, as long as we give the points. Now, all I have to do is come up with some money to bet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've said for the last 2 years under KK that this OL is vastly overrated. It drives me insane to listen to these moronic announcers try to explain our slump at the end of last season. It was 100% because once we took Murray's legs out of the equation due to his shoulder injury, our OL could not open up holes for our RB's. And our RB play was average also. We constantly had drives where we started 2 & 3, and couldn't get a 1st down having 2 running plays net us almost nothing. I loved the Rodney Hudson trade, but is that enough? And what happens if he gets injured? Humphries has come a long ways, but I don't think he'll ever be a shutdown LT. Murray's escapability covers up the many times when DJ completely whiffs his man. The rest of this OL group is below average & Beachum is well below average. I do like Kugler, so I'm hoping he can coach this group up enough to get us in the playoffs. We absolutely have to be able to run the ball without 90% of it being from Murray's scrambles.

For what it's worth I don't think it was anything to do with his shoulder.

There was an article which I can't find the link to right now that said after the Pat's beat us playing a bunch of zone in week 9 (I think) we faced a far higher percentage of zone defense after that game. Basically teams copied the Pats blueprint to shut down Kylers legs.

The same article also broke down how Kliff's scheme is poor against zone defense and his route concepts don't take advantage of the gaps in coverage. In other words, he doesn't use a lot of routes that are known to work well vs zone.

So basically, defenses changed how they played us and Kliff didn't adapt.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will be shocked beyond words if we can beat TN in the opener. I watched very little of the TN/TB game, but TN's first team dominated TB's. Granted, it's preseason, and that means absolutely nothing. If our O comes out and goes 3 & out a couple of times, then we can find ourselves down 14-0, and TN will then run the ball down our throats. We'll put 7 in the box & then Tannehill will have a field day with our secondary. If we don't score 10 points in the 1st quarter, we're in deep trouble to get embarrassed.

Much rides on the Titans game. I know this sounds odd to say but I think that game likely dictates our season because it will indicate if Kliff and Kyler have improved (and Vance to a degree).

The Titans are highly likely to have a winning season. Kliff sucks against winning teams. If we win it hopefully indicates he's made a leap.

If we come out and look completely out coached in game 1 when you have had the most time to prepare for it then it's going to be more of the same.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yep. It's a concern, for a variety of reasons I've covered ad nauseum over the offseason. What many on here scoff about is talk of the running game sans Kyler, which has pretty much been nonexistent. Take away Kyler's legs, and we don't have a running game. Way too easy to shut us down on the ground at that point, without even the threat of Kyler running. We've added a top C but haven't really improved outside of that. Our RB room is the envy of pretty much no other team. Hudson is really going to have to carry this run game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth I don't think it was anything to do with his shoulder.

There was an article which I can't find the link to right now that said after the Pat's beat us playing a bunch of zone in week 9 (I think) we faced a far higher percentage of zone defense after that game. Basically teams copied the Pats blueprint to shut down Kylers legs.

The same article also broke down how Kliff's scheme is poor against zone defense and his route concepts don't take advantage of the gaps in coverage. In other words, he doesn't use a lot of routes that are known to work well vs zone.

So basically, defenses changed how they played us and Kliff didn't adapt.

I don't know why but I actually taped that game when NFL network replayed it and I still have it. If you watch that game remembering it was the first game after the Seattle game where Kyler hurt the shoulder, you can see him over and over massaging the shoulder, working his arm like it's tight. on the sidelines they were working on the shoulder. He had only 5 runs in the entire game despite multiple times where the announcers said they were surprised he didn't just run it.

I recall in the game thread multiple people were saying should Kliff pull Kyler because you could see he was playing hurt. ThaT was the game I think people forget late in the week there were reports that Streveler was taking most of the reps and that NE was actually trying to find film of him from Canada because they thought there was a very real chance he was going to play.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Much rides on the Titans game. I know this sounds odd to say but I think that game likely dictates our season because it will indicate if Kliff and Kyler have improved (and Vance to a degree).

The Titans are highly likely to have a winning season. Kliff sucks against winning teams. If we win it hopefully indicates he's made a leap.

If we come out and look completely out coached in game 1 when you have had the most time to prepare for it then it's going to be more of the same.
I think you’re highly underrating the Titans. They may very well be the best team in the AFC. It would be a huge upset for the Cardinals to go in there & win. It’s a horrible matchup for us. Titans have the best play action in the NFL & we struggle mightily in that department.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you’re highly underrating the Titans. They may very well be the best team in the AFC. It would be a huge upset for the Cardinals to go in there & win. It’s a horrible matchup for us. Titans have the best play action in the NFL & we struggle mightily in that department.
The Titans defense is a trainwreck.

It's hard to win when one side of the ball isn't good.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Their a good team, especially offensively, and well organised. But I wouldn't put them in argument for best team. There are a lot of questions about their defense.

They are indeed a very good team though and there is a middle ground where we get beat 27-24 but play well enough to be hopeful.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

They aren’t winning in the postseason with how bad their defense is.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Eno Benjamin, might be the best RB on the team? ASU fans shouldn't give an opinion. :)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Eno Benjamin, might be the best RB on the team? ASU fans shouldn't give an opinion. :)
My understanding is that is wasn't Eno's running abilities that were in question but it was his pass pro/blocking that he had trouble picking up, so hopefully he has improved in that aspect.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like Kugler, so I'm hoping he can coach this group up enough to get us in the playoffs.

We've been hearing that for a while now and the Oline has not improved like we all were expecting it to

We absolutely have to be able to run the ball without 90% of it being from Murray's scrambles.

This can't be said enough

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA