Our Future Lockdown Corner: Brandon Browner

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Just saw that he has declared for the NFL draft...

He is an absolute stud, but played for Oregon State and did not get much publicity, except on the west coast.

He is a RS Sophmore who stands at 6'4, last season he had 6 picks and was named Pac-10 freshman of the year. This season he was a Thorpe award candidate and also was honorable mention all-conference.

This is a very good CB class with Rolle, Miller, Jones, Browner, and Rogers.

Browner should be a 1st rounder, but depending on the combine and workouts one of these guys might fall to early in the 2nd. If we do not take a corner #1 and one of these guys are on the board when we pick at #44 it would be a huge gift. Of course the possiblility of one of these guys being at #44 is highly unlikely, but just a thought.

I would love to get DeAngelo Williams and of of those corners. That would make my draft no matter who else we selected after.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Interesting. Any relation to Joey?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Wow. This guy sounds freakish (in a good way).

Why would he come out early? Seems like if he stayed he could of been a top pick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Browner will be a pro bowler, at FS. he's fast enough to play CB but he's so tall I think he'll have problems with the changing of directions. He's very physical I think he's a natural to move to FS.

Great bloodlines, that family has produced some real studs. If he slips to the 2nd round I'd be all over him, I have a feeling he's going in the mid first round between 15-20.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
but he's so tall I think he'll have problems with the changing of directions. QUOTE]

this is my main concern as well. though i really haven't seen him play, so my concern is conjecture at best.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
he is a 6'4 cb? WOW! Thats a little big to play CB. Does he have the speed and the hip turn?

He might be a better safety

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but he's so tall I think he'll have problems with the changing of directions.
Most likely you're right. But what if...

What if he could turn his hips and change directions with the best of corners. Imagine what we'd have - a big guy who could cover the more dominant big wideouts in the league.

Certainly worth checking out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

What if he could turn his hips and change directions with the best of corners. Imagine what we'd have - a big guy who could cover the more dominant big wideouts in the league.

YEah to be fair I think the best cover CB I've seen was Deion and he was 6'2" I think.

Browner converted to CB when he arrived at Oregon State he was primarily a WR in HS although he played DB. So he's probably still improving. I just remember seeing him as a freshman and thinking he'd make a nice FS some day.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

if he could we'd have the defensive equivalent of randy moss (at least from physical talent standpoint).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Taylor was a true 6'3" and was still a good NFL corner. You have to remember these 6'4" WRs don't cut as well either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Bobby Taylor was a true 6'3" and was still a good NFL corner. You have to remember these 6'4" WRs don't cut as well either.

that's a good point. but as good as taylor was, he was never considered a true lockdown corner, and if we're drafting one in the top 10 picks in the draft, that's what i'd hope to get rather than a guy with bobby taylor-type potential. maybe i ask for too much . . .

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I dont think, outside Deon , there has ever been a true "lock down" corner in the NFL. And hell Deon's legend grew so much over the years that even he garnered too much respect that some QB's wouldnt even throw that way.

CB's are made and lost based on their front 4. I dont care how good any CB is he is only as good as his pass rush. No one, i repeat no one, can cover a speeding, 6'3 wr, for 10 seconds and stick to him like glue.

That is why, at #8, as much as i think Rolle, Miller, and Jones are solid players, I do not want a CB. Macklin, Starks, and Hill played pretty well last year. Dont spend a high draft pick on a CB!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How aout Aneas Williams? I always liked him etter than Deon and people threw at him less I think...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA