Our Achilles' heel

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Devonte Wyatt? One of my vendors emailed me today to watch him in the Georgia game tonight.

he's good too, smaller than Davis but quicker. he's not nearly as powerful though everyone raves about his get off at the snap but with Davis he just pushes the center back into the backfield on lots of plays even when doubled, Wyatt just isn't as strong as Davis.

Honestly I think the best pro prospect in their DL is probably Davis' backup Jalen Carter, he's "only" 310 but very talented he's on a soph so not draft eligible yet. If I recall Davis is 99, Wyatt 95 and Carter 88 for uniform numbers.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
O-line is getting old as well. Pugh, Beechum and Hudson are all at least 32. DJ will be 29 next year.

Dline is a little better with Allen, Lawrence, and Dogbe all young players. But JJ is 32, C. Peters is 33, and J. Phillips is 29.

Both lines are probably going to have to be completely revamped in the next few years (unless they're all using the CP3's plant diet thing), and our Franchise's success will depend on Keim's ability to do so successfully. No doubt about it.

Except for Hudson, I'm pretty down on this o-line anyway, so the sooner the better I think.
For the stature of our QB, center is huge and probably more so than other teams. Having a guy like Kyler has its advantages and its disadvantages... as long as he's our starting QB, money has to be invested to have an elite center in my opinion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there's my guy actually getting a sack and fumble if they don't change it to incomplete

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously you could just draft Georgia's entire DL, like I said Carter is the best pro prospect but Carter, Davis and Wyatt are all NFL players likely starters for years. Cook at RB not as good as big bro Dalvin but draftable. I love Pickens the WR but he had a serious knee injury he's still recovering from. And the TE Bowers is a stud as a true freshman.

And the best player on the field for either team is Will Anderson.

And Bryce Young is awfully impressive too

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'm talking about the broad scope of things and for me it's a very mediocre DL, and the guards on our OL. I get our secondary play with our CBs on the vapor depth mode and I get Simmons running around in the Vance Joseph complex system but we simply do not have any studs on the line of scrimmage. Watt will help because he's still above average but we have nothing up front which can compete at a high level if we are not scheming our arses off. Zach Allen I guess is a Mauro 2.0 when at his best but we sure do not have a Dockett or a Campbell, and you need that when you are playing for anything that matters

I think those 11 wins really come down to Hudson boosting the offense but he cannot do everything

Knowing what to draft after you have your QB seems really simple to me after years of watching Professional Football, you have to own the trenches
I don’t get all the Zach Allen hate. Without naming Watt and a DE from the Steelers and searching the internet, can you name ONE DE in a 3-4 that you think is better than Zach Allen? The 3-4 DE is not supposed to lead the team in sacks or tackles. He’s supposed to contain, draw double teams, and keep the OL off the LB’s and Safeties. I think Zach Allen has had a really good year. To compare him to Josh Mauro or beyond insulting.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he’s no spring chicken and missed time this year. Tough to build around him.
Oh I agree. I think the Cards SB chances are this year and next. They will likely need to blow it up if they don't get close in the next two years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously you could just draft Georgia's entire DL, like I said Carter is the best pro prospect but Carter, Davis and Wyatt are all NFL players likely starters for years. Cook at RB not as good as big bro Dalvin but draftable. I love Pickens the WR but he had a serious knee injury he's still recovering from. And the TE Bowers is a stud as a true freshman.

And the best player on the field for either team is Will Anderson.

And Bryce Young is awfully impressive too
Absolutely. It was awesome to see Davis in on short yardage situations on the goal line. He abused his man for GAs touchdown. The hole he created was massive. He is my number 1 player that I want to see drafted by the Cards. (unless we win the SB and draft 32)

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don’t get all the Zach Allen hate. Without naming Watt and a DE from the Steelers and searching the internet, can you name ONE DE in a 3-4 that you think is better than Zach Allen? The 3-4 DE is not supposed to lead the team in sacks or tackles. He’s supposed to contain, draw double teams, and keep the OL off the LB’s and Safeties. I think Zach Allen has had a really good year. To compare him to Josh Mauro or beyond insulting.
Let me know when teams are double teaming Zach Allen and teams are game planning around him. I have the same opinion of him as when Mauro was in his prime... a solid starter but not a dominant player and that's the gist of my observation

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Several O-line guys have played until an advanced age. This is less common on the D-line. The current D-line is poor. Phillips’ signing was based on one good year and that was a major mistake. I thought Allen was a mistake. He’s worked hard and is now marginally adequate but no better. Peters best days are behind him. Russ is correct. The rest of the line is made up of lower draft picks that we’re only moderately effective in college. Watt was what they needed but should have been protected by situational use and wasn’t. They must get a run stopper who can collapse the pocket to anchor the middle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. It was awesome to see Davis in on short yardage situations on the goal line. He abused his man for GAs touchdown. The hole he created was massive. He is my number 1 player that I want to see drafted by the Cards. (unless we win the SB and draft 32)

It is true he's a 2 down player right now but as he said when asked about not playing on 3rd downs "It's my job to get us TO 3rd down". In other words if I do my job on first and second down, we get to 3rd down and let the Dawgs go after the QB. I never saw the final stat but after 8 game GA was averaging alllowing 2.4 yards per carry and it was like 1.6 when Davis was on the field. It was fun to see him in the game on offense and the blocking FB on that play was Carter also a DL.

Bama's entire offense was designed around trying to get Davis tired or off the field, all the lateral stuff in the first half, the hurry up etc. I think it actually played a large role in Bama not scoring more in the first half, they were of course missing WR's, so they kept getting into 3rd and average to long situations and then trying to convert and with some exceptions they couldn't punch it in.

I love the Georgia LB too Nakobe Dean, he's too small to play LB in our current system I suspect but I think he's going to be a very productive NFL player.

Bama is just loaded too Neal the OL is a top 10 pick, they have another tackle who will probably move to guard in the NFL. I love Robinson the RB as a later pick. And next year the battle for first pick both Bryce Young and Will Anderson are going to be in the running.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Several O-line guys have played until an advanced age. This is less common on the D-line. The current D-line is poor. Phillips’ signing was based on one good year and that was a major mistake. I thought Allen was a mistake. He’s worked hard and is now marginally adequate but no better. Peters best days are behind him. Russ is correct. The rest of the line is made up of lower draft picks that we’re only moderately effective in college. Watt was what they needed but should have been protected by situational use and wasn’t. They must get a run stopper who can collapse the pocket to anchor the middle.
Lawrence and Zach Allen are key guys as long as you don't pay them a ton. They would both really benefit from having a dominant player nest to them. Kinda like the Justin Pughs of our defensive line but young and hopefully affordable long term. Also both are pretty scheme diverse which is helpful.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Keim has put a lot resources into the interior OL but it’s never reached the level of satisfaction. I’m still scarred from thinking Cole/Pugh off-season would solidify the Rosen era.