Our Achilles' heel

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm talking about the broad scope of things and for me it's a very mediocre DL, and the guards on our OL. I get our secondary play with our CBs on the vapor depth mode and I get Simmons running around in the Vance Joseph complex system but we simply do not have any studs on the line of scrimmage. Watt will help because he's still above average but we have nothing up front which can compete at a high level if we are not scheming our arses off. Zach Allen I guess is a Mauro 2.0 when at his best but we sure do not have a Dockett or a Campbell, and you need that when you are playing for anything that matters

I think those 11 wins really come down to Hudson boosting the offense but he cannot do everything

Knowing what to draft after you have your QB seems really simple to me after years of watching Professional Football, you have to own the trenches

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the broad scope of things and for me it's a very mediocre DL, and the guards on our OL. I get our secondary play with our CBs on the vapor depth mode and I get Simmons running around in the Vance Joseph complex system but we simply do not have any studs on the line of scrimmage. Watt will help because he's still above average but we have nothing up front which can compete at a high level. Zach Allen I guess is a Mauro 2.0 when at his best but we sure do not have a Dockett or a Campbell, and you need that when you are playing for anything that matters. I think those 11 wins really come down to Hudson but he cannot do everything

Knowing what to draft after you have your QB seems really simple to me after years of watching Professional Football, you have to own the trenches

I agree with what you are saying. I wanted to draft an OG round 1, but I think we need an interior DL first. OGs are easier and cheaper to find in free agency too.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Achilles heel is mistakes. The games we won were games where we basically played a clean game.
We simply can have critical penalties on big gains. We can take double digit loss sacks over and over. We can’t have turnovers. One mistake can cost you the game. Ten mistakes and you’re doomed.
We can’t continue to be playing behind the sticks.
One other thing. Kyler is going to have to pick and choose his big play chances. He’s going to have to recognize his secondary receiver a lot sooner than he has. He has to realize a boring first down is more valuable at times than a 20 yard completion.

Play mistake free football and we can beat anybody.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beside Hudson and Beachum, Humphries has questionable strenght and need to play great tecnique to be adequate, yesterday was manhandled by Dunlap, Pugh is in decline and offer little push
We need two guards, a free agent and 1st round rookie
If Humphries still play crap, Beachum at left tackle and Jones at right tackle

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beside Hudson and Beachum, Humphries has questionable strenght and need to play great tecnique to be adequate, yesterday was manhandled by Dunlap, Pugh is in decline and offer little push
We need two guards, a free agent and 1st round rookie
If Humphries still play crap, Beachum at left tackle and Jones at right tackle
This was Humphries worst game of his career so it is easy to knock him (rightfully so) but he has had a pretty good year overall.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying. I wanted to draft an OG round 1, but I think we need an interior DL first. OGs are easier and cheaper to find in free agency too.

yep he will likely be gone but Jordan Davis of Georgia would be a godsend to our run defense. Not a good pass rusher but a massive guy, like Big Davis massive. But most mocks have him off the board well before we'll pick.

Leal from A&M was the top rated DL preseason, experts say he didn't have a great year but they still love him, I didn't see A&M play all season so no opinion, he's much smaller 290 and more athletic than Davis.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep he will likely be gone but Jordan Davis of Georgia would be a godsend to our run defense. Not a good pass rusher but a massive guy, like Big Davis massive. But most mocks have him off the board well before we'll pick.

Leal from A&M was the top rated DL preseason, experts say he didn't have a great year but they still love him, I didn't see A&M play all season so no opinion, he's much smaller 290 and more athletic than Davis.
I'd trade up for him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would. If it costs us a 2nd round pick, we would have just wasted that on a small school player that wouldn't do anything for us anyway...
Jordan Davis cannot play on passing downs. Did you see him against a high-octane offense against Bama in the SEC Championship? He looked out of shape & exhausted, now imagine seeing that every week in the NFL.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'd trade up for him.

Absolutely not.

I would. If it costs us a 2nd round pick, we would have just wasted that on a small school player that wouldn't do anything for us anyway...
I lean towards "not" as well.

He plays roughly 50% of the snaps for Georgia. And although he does those 50% well, you need the interior players to collapse a pocket, not just consume RB's in your specified area.

I'd take a first and second rounder but then I would also get upset knowing that Keim sucks at drafting line talent. Even Hump is a middle of the road tackle.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm talking about the broad scope of things and for me it's a very mediocre DL, and the guards on our OL. I get our secondary play with our CBs on the vapor depth mode and I get Simmons running around in the Vance Joseph complex system but we simply do not have any studs on the line of scrimmage. Watt will help because he's still above average but we have nothing up front which can compete at a high level if we are not scheming our arses off. Zach Allen I guess is a Mauro 2.0 when at his best but we sure do not have a Dockett or a Campbell, and you need that when you are playing for anything that matters

I think those 11 wins really come down to Hudson boosting the offense but he cannot do everything

I think you make an excellent point here, maybe in a 3-4 alignment you really need a Dockett or Campbell type player who commands constant double teams to allow the other two DLine players and LBs to make plays. Presently this defense has no one like that. There is no player on the team that can disrupt a Oline like these two did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Davis cannot play on passing downs. Did you see him against a high-octane offense against Bama in the SEC Championship? He looked out of shape & exhausted, now imagine seeing that every week in the NFL.

I wouldn't trade up for him but if you look at the snap stats I'd say part of the problem with our run defense is we have no depth and we play guys too much right now, so having a guy like Davis who is hard to block in the run game can pay dividends. In the Bama loss it wasn't run defense that was the issue it was their pass defense and as you said, he wasn't on the field for that.

he's just a mammoth individual he's not a pass rusher at all, but he's an immovable object on run defense. he's not my first choice I want an OL, a CB, or even a WR(as I've said I love Drake London) but Davis would sure help our run defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't, but I will get to see him tonight.

This Cards defense can go from being above average to dominant if they can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade up for him but if you look at the snap stats I'd say part of the problem with our run defense is we have no depth and we play guys too much right now, so having a guy like Davis who is hard to block in the run game can pay dividends. In the Bama loss it wasn't run defense that was the issue it was their pass defense and as you said, he wasn't on the field for that.

he's just a mammoth individual he's not a pass rusher at all, but he's an immovable object on run defense. he's not my first choice I want an OL, a CB, or even a WR(as I've said I love Drake London) but Davis would sure help our run defense.
You don’t draft these types of guys in the 1st round man. That’s just horrific investing.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
O-line is getting old as well. Pugh, Beechum and Hudson are all at least 32. DJ will be 29 next year.

Dline is a little better with Allen, Lawrence, and Dogbe all young players. But JJ is 32, C. Peters is 33, and J. Phillips is 29.

Both lines are probably going to have to be completely revamped in the next few years (unless they're all using the CP3's plant diet thing), and our Franchise's success will depend on Keim's ability to do so successfully. No doubt about it.

Except for Hudson, I'm pretty down on this o-line anyway, so the sooner the better I think.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t draft these types of guys in the 1st round man. That’s just horrific investing.

And you don't get him after the first round.

he's not my first choice as I said but this team has to get younger on the DL and we have to improve our run game. if there's not an obviously better OL, CB, WR etc he'd definitely be on my list.

Now if he slips out of the first round it's going to be because of his weight. He was clearly bigger against Bama and he's admitted it said he won't be tonight so it will be interesting to see.

Bama played hurry up specifically to try and keep Davis off the field. When it got a passing down he'd come off, if they converted, which they usually did, they'd go hurry up so Georgia couldn't put him back in the game. Was very smart coaching. The general feeling is Georgia will probably try to play him in some passing downs tonight so that strategy doesn't work.

Will be interesting to watch. He won both the Bednarik and Outland Trophy this year he's a very impactful player, but primarily on the run, which we suck at defending.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should add one reason Jordan Davis doesn't scare me is I'm assuming JJ Watt will be back next year, he won't play a full season probably but Watt is like the ideal role model for a guy like Jordan Davis, and Watt is a natural leader, he'd be an amazing influence on a kid like that. Kid get in the weight room with me and I can make you a star.

yagetonemoreyear

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He plays roughly 50% of the snaps for Georgia. And although he does those 50% well, you need the interior players to collapse a pocket, not just consume RB's in your specified area.

I'd take a first and second rounder but then I would also get upset knowing that Keim sucks at drafting line talent. Even Hump is a middle of the road tackle.

Yesterday Hump looked like John Bonham snare drum after a 3 hour drum solo.

I don't care how thin they are, how many pro Bowls he has, what his PFF grades are, they should have sat his fat lazy ass. it was just pathetic watching it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ideally yes and so far he is not a pass rusher. That said, he's about as good a run defender as there is in college football in recent years at that position. he didn't win the Outland and Bednarik because he's big, he won it because he's a dominant interior lineman.

As always you never know but you watch the games and see how often he's doubled its' pretty impressive. I think it was a game against Kentucky they went for it on 4th and 1, less than a yard actually. They double teamed Davis, he split the double team hit the RB in the backfield for a 2 yard loss. When they showed the replay you can see one of the guys blocking him is literally holding his jersey the other has his arm. The announcer said they double teamed him, both guys held him and they still lost 2 yards on the play. Now it was UK not Alabama but that's a special kind of human in terms of run defense.

I know you're supposed to draft BPA not need so taking a mountain run defender because your run defense sucks is against the grain, and again he's not my first choice, but I do think he will probably have a good NFL career. At some point whatever team drafts him is going to play us and people are going to be saying damn we can't block that Davis guy how come we never have someone like that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave