Oubre Re-signed

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by TJ, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Except we have a solid roster that can be built upon for the next 2 years. The Knicks are the DIY version of an NBA team, and they aren't very good contractors.

2. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

Hopefully the difference is that we will be a good team and will be able to attract free agents because of that. The Knicks have been relying completely on the fact that they are in a marquee city and nothing more. Free agents want to see that a team has their stuff figured out before they want to sign with you. Hopefully 2 years from now the Suns will appear to have their stuff together.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

we REALLY need Ayton to reach his potential. he's the key. I hope he's got it in him and that Monty can pull it out of him. He's just got so much natural talent and feel for the game. Dude should be a monster by year 3 if he's got that thing inside of him that pushes him to be.

4. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I agree. It all comes down to how good Ayton gets. If Ayton can be the Center version of 3rd year Booker, people will be lining up to play with Book and Ayton.

jlove and Krangthebrain like this.
  5. cheesebeef

they do have the possibility to be a not quite rich man's Shaq/Kobe. I don't think they'll ever reach those heights because both guys could dominate at both ends of the court and Shaq was just the biggest freak of nature ever in the NBA. But if they can be a dynamic duo, a third star (likely a PG of the future) could bring this team to the heights we all desperately want them to reach.

but it's all on Ayton. He's got the physical tools to do it on both ends that Booker just doesn't have.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  6. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Except the Knicks had a gutted, waste heap of a roster that they were trying to lure free agents to join.

We could, potentially, have 2 young, all-star caliber players and a decent supporting cast around them.

But, as we've seen, it will be really difficult to lure in a star free agent if we're not winning games. The team as currently constructed is going to need to perform.

EDIT: Just saw I was a broken record in this response. Glad to see so many on the same page for once.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Gambo just mentioned that in speaking with Oubre's camp, they made it crystal clear that he wants to remain in PHX for the longterm. He has grown very tight with Ayton and Booker and would love to sign his next contract with the Suns.

8. Chaplin

Definitely nice to hear, but now it's time to earn your next contract!

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm thrilled with the Oubre signing but the Suns wouldn't have to make a big splash in free agency in 2 years if they had been able to sign Oubre to a longer term contract.

It will be interesting to revisit this subject in a couple of years. I will go on record that I think Oubre was vastly underpaid on his new contract.

10. cheesebeef

okay... so despite my misgivings with the way we constructed this team, I am looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out. We've got more vets, an ok NBA PG which is a massive step up from complete dog-crap, Oubre's swag back, a new HC who I actually think can make a difference with Ayton if anyone can and hopefully a big growth spurt from Bridges as far as his game is concerned.

I'm looking at the next two years as the training wheels seasons. We haven't done anything to significantly screw up our cap. We got guys who can at least contribute in some way shape or form (Rubio, Saric, Baynes, TJ, Kaminsky) two rookies who might add at least a little something of value and the young core being coached by a legit coaching staff for the first time in their pro basketball careers.

I'm gonna go ahead and call us a 30-33 win team by season's end. Just gotta hope they strike gold in the lotto, hopefully get a PG of the future and the year after they can take another big step, making themselves attractive in the big FA year of 2021.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  11. cheesebeef

me too. I think this will be somewhat similar to Joe Johnson... someone we could have locked up for a long time at a super reasonable salary, but were short-sighted and then were forced into a bad position where they'd either have to overpay for his services or see him walk.

but is what it is at this point...

12. Chaplin

Pretty much where I'm at. We don't disagree. Still want to do a podcast?

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Krangthebrain like this.
  13. cheesebeef

now we should wait for the season, where we'll probably tear each other apart as usual.

14. Chaplin

Yeah, well with what's going on with my personal life, I think Training Camp is a good goal for getting something off the ground... LOL

15. cheesebeef

lol... deal.

hope that just means you're super busy and everything's okay in Chapland.