Oubre Out for the Year

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You're right, Oubre doesn't have the body of work for that kind of deal. But by year 2 of a 4 year deal, his 20 million probably won't even be top 60. Right now there are 51 players making 19 Million or more this season. Also, he's only 23 and even a short stretch of starter success like he's had will likely attract several bidders.

There's 32 teams right? If he makes top 60 or crazily enough top 30 I would think he would be the best player on a couple of teams at 30 and second best on some teams at 60.. I don't know I think that.. That's a lot of eggs in one basket.. I'd prefer Ayton and Booker over him.. and I'm really hoping that our next draft pick will be more valuable than him.. I think we'll need that to be one of the better teams or a very pricey free agent..so that means at best our hopes are he will be the fourth best player on our team but we might pay him around the first or second best? That makes me think we might get into cap trouble down the road to retain our players..

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I'm not saying Oubre's worth 20m but he is in a really good negotiating position. Playing great, energy, huge part of the recent wins, wants to be here, helped with damage control when Sarver was being thrashed, fan favorite and the suns so far have played like garbage without him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's 32 teams right? If he makes top 60 or crazily enough top 30 I would think he would be the best player on a couple of teams at 30 and second best on some teams at 60.. I don't know I think that.. That's a lot of eggs in one basket.. I'd prefer Ayton and Booker over him.. and I'm really hoping that our next draft pick will be more valuable than him.. I think we'll need that to be one of the better teams or a very pricey free agent..so that means at best our hopes are he will be the fourth best player on our team but we might pay him around the first or second best? That makes me think we might get into cap trouble down the road to retain our players..

I don't know why you did the top 30 thing, I don't see that happening even if he gets a max deal. At 20 per, he will be overpaid at the start of his contract but with just a little improvement and the growing cap, it should be a reasonable deal by the time he's nearing a new deal. At this point, I worry less about a possible cap problem well down the road than I do building a winning culture right now.

Also, look around the league and you'll see a LOT of teams that don't have a top 30 player. They obviously aren't distributed evenly and even if they were, I'm not ready to place a ceiling on Oubre. He's just 23 and only recently been promoted to starter and given a free hand to showcase his skills.

I figure as a starter for us he's probably playing like a top 100 player and given that he's improved pretty steadily each year, I like his chances of moving into the top 50 in a year or two. But even if that doesn't happen and it turns out to be a huge overpay, it will expire right around the time that Booker, Ayton and Bridges hit their primes.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre had surgery today. He is expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see any way he isn't getting 20mil+

5yrs 100 or 4 yrs 84 would be my guess. Let's not do a JJ on KO. Give him what he has earned and let him help us cultivate this new attitude I have seen the last month or so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I really don't think he's getting that much , I honestly think 4 year 60-65mil is all it's going to take , this year is packed with big name free agents and as of right now baring moves there are only 12 other teams that can afford that deal for oubre , most of which will be focused on bigger names or resigning their own players like the 76ers, Lakers, clippers , knicks, Dallas. Other teams on that list aren't in a big need for a SF. I only see a few teams there that would try to get him but since he's a RFA that complicates it for other teams so I would bet they don't have to pay him 20 mil

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not saying Oubre's worth 20m but he is in a really good negotiating position. Playing great, energy, huge part of the recent wins, wants to be here, helped with damage control when Sarver was being thrashed, fan favorite and the suns so far have played like garbage without him.
I agree! This is a valuable intangible.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I've heard Oubre valued at around $12 million per year on a 4 or 5 year deal.

I would shoot for $15 million. I think that is the most reasonable considering his deficiencies.

Someone on the radio said he'd likely get the MLE (10m). It would be great to land Oubre for 10-15. I can't see that happening unless his agent is incompetent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Oubre remains the Suns' third-best player, they are probably a .500 team at best. To get to the playoffs, they'll have to add someone better than Oubre. So the yardstick for him is either the third-best player on a .500 team, or the fourth-best player on a playoff team. That's where the market will be set.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Oubre remains the Suns' third-best player, they are probably a .500 team at best. To get to the playoffs, they'll have to add someone better than Oubre. So the yardstick for him is either the third-best player on a .500 team, or the fourth-best player on a playoff team. That's where the market will be set.

exactly. he can't be the 3rd bets player if this team is ever serious about competing. whoever the pick this year or whatever we get for our pick this year needs to be the third piece of the Ayton-Booker-3rd guy triumvirate. Oubre is a great fourth, but a really mediocre 3rd piece of the puzzle and we should pay him accordingly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
exactly. he can't be the 3rd bets player if this team is ever serious about competing. whoever the pick this year or whatever we get for our pick this year needs to be the third piece of the Ayton-Booker-3rd guy triumvirate. Oubre is a great fourth, but a really mediocre 3rd piece of the puzzle and we should pay him accordingly.
Why can't that guy already be on the roster? We have quite a few young guys that still haven't reached their peak/prime. Oubre is one of the players on the roster that still has room to grow and Bridges still has a lot of room for growth as well. To talk about the other players on the roster as if they are finished products is simply a false narrative.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why can't that guy already be on the roster? We have quite a few young guys that still haven't reached their peak/prime. Oubre is one of the players on the roster that still has room to grow and Bridges still has a lot of room for growth as well. To talk about the other players on the roster as if they are finished products is simply a false narrative.
I think both Oubre and Bridges are destined for the “super role player” category. Draymond Green is in that category of player. Lots of other really good players were like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both Oubre and Bridges are destined for the “super role player” category. Draymond Green is in that category of player. Lots of other really good players were like that.

I think Oubre could be headed for stardom but I'd agree that Bridges is more likely destined to become an impact role player. But that's only if he can add some beef and keep his quickness. Last night for example, Barnes just out-muscled him all over the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree, the Suns could well have their impact players already on the roster.

They need the straw that stirs the drink which is likely a point guard and a starter at power forward. I'm not sure these players need to be All-Star level players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've heard Oubre valued at around $12 million per year on a 4 or 5 year deal.

I would shoot for $15 million. I think that is the most reasonable considering his deficiencies.

If you can get him for 12 a year I would freaking jump up and down.

I think him and Bridges are going to be really good role players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see Oubre ending up like our version of Lamar Odom, in a way. I wouldn't say he was a star with the Lakers but he was a key piece to what they were able to accomplish. Depending on the game and playoff matchup he was either their #3 or #4 option behind Kobe and Pau but trading spots on the pecking order with Bynum and Artest.

I'm not comparing their game or play style just their importance. Oubre and Odom do share some similarities but they're also quite different.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get him for 12 a year I would freaking jump up and down.

I think him and Bridges are going to be really good role players.

This would be a bargain for sure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I could see Oubre ending up like our version of Lamar Odom, in a way. I wouldn't say he was a star with the Lakers but he was a key piece to what they were able to accomplish. Depending on the game and playoff matchup he was either their #3 or #4 option behind Kobe and Pau but trading spots on the pecking order with Bynum and Artest.

I'm not comparing their game or play style just their importance. Oubre and Odom do share some similarities but they're also quite different.

Young Lamar Odom would’ve been a nightmare in today’s game. I remember him seldomly being “locked in” but when he was he was force. He set the tone in game 1 of the WCF with a 20/20 game in 2010.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Finished products? No one is saying that. Projected limited ceilings? I think that’s fair. Before Bridges was even drafted everyone said his upside was elite 3-D guy. Nothing this year points in any other direction. He likely should be an elite #4 once he reaches his peak. I think the same could be said of oubre given his age and experience. And those aren’t bad things, having two elite level #4 guys might mean we don’t have to have a Durant or lebron level #1 on our team. JJ is the only player that i think could ascend to a #3 due to his athleticism, handle, aggressiveness, and willingness to create for others. But I’d be lying if two seasons into his career I’m questioning the likelihood of that coming to fruition.

So what we are seeing is this:

If Zion, I think we have:

Elite #1: Zion
Lower end #1: Booker
Elite #2: Ayton
Elite #4: oubre
Elite #4: bridges
Who knows: JJ
Who knows: whatever PG we get for package around TJ and picks

That’s pretty damn great.

If Morant, I think we have:

Elite #2: Morant

That’s pretty damn great too.

If we package this year’s pick with TJ, JJ, and picks for something:

Elite #2: whatever we get in trade

That’s pretty damn great as well.

In any of the scenarios we end up with 2 #1 or #2 guys and 2 #4 guys. No real 3rd bananas, but that’s okay becasue our 3rd banana will likely be the equivalent of an elite #2 on most other teams. And the two elite level #4s gives us incredible depth.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think we need to sign Oubre even if we go north of 15 millions a year. Hopefully he'll not slack off but keep being a leader for us. If in a couple of years we have to sign big checks to Ayton and hopefully one or even two other guys (Bridges, hopefully Jackson, perhaps a top 3 rookie if they get the pick right this summer), we might have to make some tough choices, but right now we need to ride the wave, valley boys.

During the summer or by trade deadline next year they might need to let one of the wings go. I like the potential of Bridges and Jackson, and I prefer Oubre over Warren, so for me I would try to package Warren and something for an actual NBA PF or a PG. I don't even care about his age and the timeline, just get us winning with the core of Ayton and Booker and the kiddos. No need to ship out Melton and Okobo if we don't have to. When we draft so young guys we have to be patient and thorough with player development, or we should just sell draft picks and sign whatever ship wreck we can gather. It seems so obvious. We can still get a starting PG (read that part, James Jones), without having to cut the rookies. Off course, they should prove in the summer and before training camp that they've worked hard and taken steps.

Ok, go Suns...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Finished products? No one is saying that. Projected limited ceilings? I think that’s fair. Before Bridges was even drafted everyone said his upside was elite 3-D guy. Nothing this year points in any other direction. He likely should be an elite #4 once he reaches his peak. I think the same could be said of oubre given his age and experience. And those aren’t bad things, having two elite level #4 guys might mean we don’t have to have a Durant or lebron level #1 on our team. JJ is the only player that i think could ascend to a #3 due to his athleticism, handle, aggressiveness, and willingness to create for others. But I’d be lying if two seasons into his career I’m questioning the likelihood of that coming to fruition.

So what we are seeing is this:

If Zion, I think we have:

Elite #1: Zion

That’s pretty damn great.

If Morant, I think we have:

Elite #2: Morant

That’s pretty damn great too.

If we package this year’s pick with TJ, JJ, and picks for something:

Elite #2: whatever we get in trade

That’s pretty damn great as well.

In any of the scenarios we end up with 2 #1 or #2 guys and 2 #4 guys. No real 3rd bananas, but that’s okay becasue our 3rd banana will likely be the equivalent of an elite #2 on most other teams. And the two elite level #4s gives us incredible depth.

You honestly think Morant has the same potential as Ayton?!?!?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave