Oubre Out for the Year

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Probably one of those nagging things....and it helps that the Suns are still in the hunt that matters, the Zion Williamson hunt.

Wouldn't it be crazy to get #1 overall again, and score two franchise players in back-to-back years???

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Im fine with 1 or 2 at this point. Not sure how Zion and Ayton would blend but he damands the #1 pick IMO. Im higher on a Ja, Booker, Oubre, XXX, DA lineup personally.

Of course: XXX, Book, Oubre, Zion, & DA would attract a ton of Free Agents. Could you imagine Kyrie at the PG spot?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Thanks for sucking all the joy out of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, at least he won't be driving up his value any more...his post all star #'s have been strong.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This might make him more affordable, but he's been fun to watch, and I wanted to see him play out the season to prove if it was for real. Pretty sure we re-sign him though.

Yeah, they are a more entertaining team when he plays, but maybe this keeps his price tag at 15M or under? His RFA status cant hurt.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't get my hopes up for for 15m or less. I think hoping for 20m or less is more realistic.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't get my hopes up for for 15m or less. I think hoping for 20m or less is more realistic.

We'll see. His uptick with the Suns would be what you're paying for, because his #'s the last 2 years with the Wiz (12.5/4.5) were certainly not indicative of a 20M a year player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need Oubre back for sure. He has been an integral part of the team.

They have glaring needs at point guard and power forward. Hopefully they can fill at least one need in the draft and the other need through trade and/or free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we need to share Oubre's medical information with other teams? I know he's a RFA and that complicates things some. I'm not sure if we're required to disclose his medical info with another team that inquires about him. I'm not sure if that's something required in free agency at all though, restricted or not. I was just curious if there is anyway we could play this that helps us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we need to share Oubre's medical information with other teams? I know he's a RFA and that complicates things some. I'm not sure if we're required to disclose his medical info with another team that inquires about him. I'm not sure if that's something required in free agency at all though, restricted or not. I was just curious if there is anyway we could play this that helps us.

I'm pretty sure we're required to disclose his medical info although it might be situation driven (probably when the agent requests it). But regardless, doing anything even remotely questionable in an effort to decrease his FA market would be a really bad look for an organization that still has work to do mending the player relationship fences that Ryan burned down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Suns need to be very careful there. They cannot do anything that would create even a tiny appearance of potential impropriety. I would attempt to reach an agreement with him now.

I think some of us (me included) have been really wowed by his 10 game stretch, but I'll be surprised if someone really gives him a 20 mill/per year offer sheet as an RFA. it's a pretty good FA class. And this board tends to over-inflate our own players values contract wise a decent amount.

If I'm the Suns, I try my hardest to get him before FA hits, offering a 4 year 60 million dollar deal. If he balks at that, let him see what he's worth on the market. Anything over 20 million per and you gotta think a lot on that... especially if we end up with the 3rd pick of the draft where he could be replaced by Barrett who's a very attractive prospect at the 3, at a much cheaper cost which would enable us to use the money that would be geared toward Oubre to go to a PG or PF.

But I hope that doesn't come to pass. I really like Oubre's skills and especially the dog in him that he brings to the court. He's got a nasty to him that I don't think any of ours starters do on both sides of the court.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But I hope that doesn't come to pass. I really like Oubre's skills and especially the dog in him that he brings to the court. He's got a nasty to him that I don't think any of ours starters do on both sides of the court.

I think Booker is one of the nastiest players I've ever seen on the offensive end. He wants to drop 50 on you with your mom watching. Oubre is nastier athletically though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we're required to disclose his medical info although it might be situation driven (probably when the agent requests it). But regardless, doing anything even remotely questionable in an effort to decrease his FA market would be a really bad look for an organization that still has work to do mending the player relationship fences that Ryan burned down.

Ok, I was curious how that worked. I didn't mean to imply the Suns should do anything shady to prevent Oubre from getting paid. I know I mentioned elsewhere that Oubre has the same agent as Ayton so if they did something it could blow up in their face in more ways than one. I was just trying to think about how he's being sat and why beyond being legitimately injured. This whole situation reeks of tanking.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anything over 20 million per and you gotta think a lot on that...

I don't think there is much to think about - $20 million plus contracts are basically top 40 players, and Oubre doesn't have the body of work for that kind of deal. As a comp, a guy like Aaron Gordon put up much more impressive #'s, and isn't getting 20 mil per.

I love Oubre and his swag, but based on production and potential, I don't know how much higher I'd go than the 4/60 you mentioned.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Booker is one of the nastiest players I've ever seen on the offensive end. He wants to drop 50 on you with your mom watching. Oubre is nastier athletically though.

that's why I said on both sides of the court.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of us (me included) have been really wowed by his 10 game stretch, but I'll be surprised if someone really gives him a 20 mill/per year offer sheet as an RFA. it's a pretty good FA class. And this board tends to over-inflate our own players values contract wise a decent amount.

If I'm the Suns, I try my hardest to get him before FA hits, offering a 4 year 60 million dollar deal. If he balks at that, let him see what he's worth on the market. Anything over 20 million per and you gotta think a lot on that... especially if we end up with the 3rd pick of the draft where he could be replaced by Barrett who's a very attractive prospect at the 3, at a much cheaper cost which would enable us to use the money that would be geared toward Oubre to go to a PG or PF.

I think we're more likely to overestimate the market than the player himself. I know when I look at him I don't see a player that should be offered 20 million but then I look at Lavine and it starts to seem reasonable. To me, Oubre is already a better player than Zack was when the Kings forced Chicago to match a 4 year deal for 78 million. I'll be thrilled if we can sign him between 12 and 15 per but I won't be surprised if we have to overpay like Chicago did.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was curious how that worked. I didn't mean to imply the Suns should do anything shady to prevent Oubre from getting paid. I know I mentioned elsewhere that Oubre has the same agent as Ayton so if they did something it could blow up in their face in more ways than one. I was just trying to think about how he's being sat and why beyond being legitimately injured. This whole situation reeks of tanking.

I understand Oubre is getting surgery for his thumb injury so this takes away the tanking part of it from my perspective.

We saw Holmes get injured so I don't see why the Suns would rush to bring him back. I was concerned he might have a more serious injury.

Warren has been out for a long while with a bone bruise so this is not new.

I guess I know the least about Tyler Johnson's injury but I see no reason to question it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is much to think about - $20 million plus contracts are basically top 40 players, and Oubre doesn't have the body of work for that kind of deal. As a comp, a guy like Aaron Gordon put up much more impressive #'s, and isn't getting 20 mil per.

I love Oubre and his swag, but based on production and potential, I don't know how much higher I'd go than the 4/60 you mentioned.

You're right, Oubre doesn't have the body of work for that kind of deal. But by year 2 of a 4 year deal, his 20 million probably won't even be top 60. Right now there are 51 players making 19 Million or more this season. Also, he's only 23 and even a short stretch of starter success like he's had will likely attract several bidders.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't see any way he isn't getting 20mil+

5yrs 100 or 4 yrs 84 would be my guess. Let's not do a JJ on KO. Give him what he has earned and let him help us cultivate this new attitude I have seen the last month or so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk