OTAs ??

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The US sucks in comparison to the EU when it comes to vacation time. It's just a fact. This is coming from a federal employee, too.

One of the reasons I've stayed in the military, I work substantially less than private sector unless I'm deployed.

If the average American truly understood how boned we get compared to the EU, I think their would be significant change.

Hell, some experts argue for a 12 hour work week. If you think about it, the vast majority of the day, most workers are just trying to "look busy".

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I've stayed in the military, I work substantially less than private sector unless I'm deployed.

If the average American truly understood how boned we get compared to the EU, I think their would be significant change.

Hell, some experts argue for a 12 hour work week. If you think about it, the vast majority of the day, most workers are just trying to "look busy".

I worked more 12-18 hour days in four years in the Air Force then I have ever worked in 23 years as a cop or in 4.5 years in the private sector. and that would have averaged out to probably less than $3 an hour back then... None of it while deployed either... lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I worked more 12-18 hour days in four years in the Air Force then I have ever worked in 23 years as a cop or in 4.5 years in the private sector. and that would have averaged out to probably less than $3 an hour back then... None of it while deployed either... lol

Really depends on your job and WHEN you were in.

The vast majority of my career has been during a period with major wars going on, so senior leadership is much more likely to give you tons of time off when you aren't prepping for deployment.

With my BAH here in Los Angeles area, I make pretty good money as an E-7.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ehhh hardy all of Europe has us whipped.... I’ve been all over Europe and spoken to many

Yep Their taxes are ridiculous. Not to mention the cost of goods in general. I had "friends" who would come and stay with my neighbor for 2 weeks every year. They would always bring two HUGE suitcases empty. They would cram them full of shaving supplies, general toiletries, make-up and so much more. They said the cost of them in the United Kingdom was exponentially higher. That even paying they over weight fees on the bags they would fill would still be way cheaper then buying it in the UK.

Part of that is the conversion.

When I was in England I was driving down the road and saw some value meal at McDonalds that was 12 pounds....the conversion was 2.5 dollars to a pound at the time. That means we pay 30 dollars for a value meal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Really depends on your job and WHEN you were in.

The vast majority of my career has been during a period with major wars going on, so senior leadership is much more likely to give you tons of time off when you aren't prepping for deployment.

With my BAH here in Los Angeles area, I make pretty good money as an E-7.
I have experienced the same as an E-6 in the Air Force. Really just depends on the job. Some places we were routinely working 12 hour shifts and lately I generally don't even pull a full 8 hour shift.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have experienced the same as an E-6 in the Air Force. Really just depends on the job. Some places we were routinely working 12 hour shifts and lately I generally don't even pull a full 8 hour shift.

I do around 9 hours a day, sometimes less.

I'm in Recruiting so I don't get as many 4 days though :(.

Only 3 1/2 years left and I'm out!

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part of that is the conversion.

When I was in England I was driving down the road and saw some value meal at McDonalds that was 12 pounds....the conversion was 2.5 dollars to a pound at the time. That means we pay 30 dollars for a value meal.
$30 is pretty good when you consider the choices that English cooking provides. :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be nice if PFF or some other source posted a 32-team cmparison of how they handle OTA's - i.e. do any of the teams have a "secret" sauce" for the way they handle drill-length & number of sessions, how they teach the rooks the playbook, how much work tyey give vets vs. rooks etc.

What do, say, Belichick's teams do differently that the other teams do or don't do?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
1. Length of service does not make you unskilled. I consider someone with a college education to be "relatively skilled," and plenty of companies start you off at the baseline regardless of previous experience. Having to wait a year to be qualified for two weeks off (10 days) is insanity.

2. Sick days are unaccounted for in this data set, as far as I can see.

3. Juza is Italian, if I am correct. Italian workers are entitled to four weeks of legally mandated vacation each year, and they have 10 national paid holidays. So, after 10 years of service, we're sitting a week behind the starting baseline for the European Union.

4. I couldn't even get unpaid time off to go to a close friend's wedding.

5. Sick time is often bucketed into PTO, so you can't take all of your time off because you might get sick.

6. Most states do not require companies to pay out unused vacation or sick time.

7. Companies are 100% in control of when you can take paid time off or sick time, and can penalize or deny it.

8. Going back to #1, I worked as a contractor for a company who had a rigid policy on time off. Even if you were a Vice President with 25 years of experience, you got 5 days off year one. No wonder they were mainly built off of contractors.

I can talk about this more than I've hated our running back situation.
College graduates are unskilled in most cases.
You sound like you’re bitter over student loans or something

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
College graduates are unskilled in most cases.
You sound like you’re bitter over student loans or something
College grads are at least relatively skilled compared to say, the average McDonalds worker. But, no. I graduated with no student loan debt.

But, I'm tired.
Tired of being told in March that there's a hiring and wage freeze across the company only to be brought into a next day meeting bragging about record profits and EBITDA.
Tired of knowing how every single one of my days off will be used for the year when I hit January 1st.
Tired of job openings touting their "generous" two weeks of time off, plus four holidays.
Tired of healthcare that covers basically nothing but an annual physical and then anything else isn't covered until you've spent a month's paycheck first.
Tired of being told upon hire that the hours are 9-5 with an hour lunch, but then in your review you're told "the boss really expects our employees to be here at least 8-6," and Sheila from accounting reports you leaving the office building for lunch and not eating at your desk while working more.
Tired of being asked why I wasn't more responsive to emails at 7 PM on a Saturday.
Tired of being told "there's always more work" by multiple bosses.
Tired of being told "you should just be happy you have a job" when questioning any of it all.
Tired of American workplace culture.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
College grads are at least relatively skilled compared to say, the average McDonalds worker. But, no. I graduated with no student loan debt.

But, I'm tired.
Tired of being told in March that there's a hiring and wage freeze across the company only to be brought into a next day meeting bragging about record profits and EBITDA.
Tired of knowing how every single one of my days off will be used for the year when I hit January 1st.
Tired of job openings touting their "generous" two weeks of time off, plus four holidays.
Tired of healthcare that covers basically nothing but an annual physical and then anything else isn't covered until you've spent a month's paycheck first.
Tired of being told upon hire that the hours are 9-5 with an hour lunch, but then in your review you're told "the boss really expects our employees to be here at least 8-6," and Sheila from accounting reports you leaving the office building for lunch and not eating at your desk while working more.
Tired of being asked why I wasn't more responsive to emails at 7 PM on a Saturday.
Tired of being told "you should just be happy you have a job" when questioning any of it all.

Biggest difference between Europe and US is if your boss emails you at 7pm on Saturday you can ignore it until 9am Monday and he can't do crap about it.

You probably won't get promoted, but he can't fire you.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

But, I'm tired.
Man you're working in the wrong industry. My job isn't anything like that, and my company has a great appreciation for their employees. Even the hourly staff get 40 hours of vacation after 90 day's. They're paid $20 buck an hour to start, and great benefits.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man you're working in the wrong industry. My job isn't anything like that, and my company has a great appreciation for their employees. Even the hourly staff get 40 hours of vacation after 90 day's. They're paid $20 buck an hour to start, and great benefits.
You’re a lot luckier than a lot of Americans.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

But, I'm tired.
Sounds like you work for a poo company
Might be time to move on

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah there’s some okay things about my industry and some really bad things, but my post was actually a conglomeration of my own experience and others’. So many people in this country have it really bad and some of those people even talk about how bad they have it with a badge of honor.

Sounds like you work for a **** company
Might be time to move on
This isn’t my current company being referenced. In fact, due to Covid, my last company all but shuttered, and I’m in final negotiations for a new job at the moment. But these are common problems for the American worker, and that’s just for those “lucky” enough to have an office job.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah there’s some okay things about my industry and some really bad things, but my post was actually a conglomeration of my own experience and others’. So many people in this country have it really bad and some of those people even talk about how bad they have it with a badge of honor.

This isn’t my current company being referenced. In fact, due to Covid, my last company all but shuttered, and I’m in final negotiations for a new job at the moment. But these are common problems for the American worker, and that’s just for those “lucky” enough to have an office job.
Good luck on the negotiations!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Move to Wisconsin if you can. There is a shortage of workers here and company's are will to pay extra to get people here. We're moving 8 people here from Puerto Rico in two weeks just to get workers.

I've heard good things about Wisconsin and the job market. My nephew graduated from Milwaukee School of Engineering and walked right in to an $80K a year job in construction management in Milwaukee, his sister got a job in LaCrosse Wisconsin in Social Work immediately after graduating from Winona State. My brother in law is the manager of a Piggly Wiggly there and he can't find any help, more openings than applicants.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Huh?!

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average private sector employee with just one year of service does get 2 weeks of paid vacation, not counting sick days or the 10 federal holidays. After 5 years it's about 2.5 weeks, and after 10 it's around 3 weeks.

...dbs
Huh?!

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average private sector employee with just one year of service does get 2 weeks of paid vacation, not counting sick days or the 10 federal holidays. After 5 years it's about 2.5 weeks, and after 10 it's around 3 weeks.

...dbs
I've been at UPS here in Louisville for 28 years, I topped out of vacation weeks on year 24 with 7 weeks & 2 days off each year. 37 days of vacation so I'm good there. It kills me to hear others complain about this job. I always tell them this when I hear complaints. "We could take a whole month of vacation off straight & still have 3 weeks left which is more than the average worker". Some people just wanna complain for any reason lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

But, I'm tired.
I have 7 weeks & 2 days of vacation each year here at UPS, plus they pay for our insurance but that was negotiated by the Teamsters local 89 years ago. My health insurance covers everything pretty much 100% & the dental covers 2 teeth cleanings per year. I can't complain but others that work here do & I have no idea why? I feel for others that get little vacation time & not much in the form of health insurance. I've worked my ass off for this company to get to this point though for the last 28 years. It is the biggest UPS facility in the world right here in Louisville & there's 12 total.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What do you do precisely and what are your skill sets?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What do you do precisely and what are your skill sets?
I work in Digital Marketing, primarily for large, Fortune 500 companies. In fact, the job I'll be starting on Monday or so is the largest agency in the world. So, I have a digital ad tech/analytical background with a creative side as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose