UPDATE: Watson Suspended 11 games and fined $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Attorney for the 22 women says there are 4 more not in the civil suit who may join and anticipates more will come forward to pursue criminal charges. Film at eleven...https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...her-charge-cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson
This just further substantiates my claim this was all B$. FTR, I have friends that are attorneys who I have much respect for, but this dude running this circus is exactly what’s wrong with the “system.” This dude is looking for a do over. Res judicata isn’t supposed to be an element of our “system,” but man it unfortunately happens… I guess those 4 additional women must have been living under a rock the last 12 months… it’s now 26 women: none of them ever went to police, but now they’re uniting to stand up to his historical behavior. I told you @Krangodnzr - this was all a circus act.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This just further substantiates my claim this was all B$. FTR, I have friends that are attorneys who I have much respect for, but this dude running this circus is exactly what’s wrong with the “system.” This dude is looking for a do over. Res judicata isn’t supposed to be an element of our “system,” but man it unfortunately happens… I guess those 4 additional women must have been living under a rock the last 12 months… it’s now 26 women: none of them ever went to police, but now they’re uniting to stand up to his historical behavior. I told you @Krangodnzr - this was all a circus act.
Need to get that guys number.
I wanna get in on this cash cow.
Ya see, that one weekend I was in Houston I picked up a couple massage jobs. That's when it happened....it was just all...out there....it was terrible I tell ya!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

there were 26 women all along some of them declined to go forward because they didn't want the publicity. In fact the lawyer Buzbee said at one time he had 30 but several of them didn't want to go forward because he told them they probably wouldn't be able to remain anonymous.

At one point there were 24 involved in suits, 1 of them dropped out citing not wanting to deal with the media. Then the judge announced they could not go forward anonymously if they wanted to pursue the charges they had to go public, 1 more dropped out so it was 22.

So 4 of the 26 either never filed or filed but then dropped because they didn't want to be public.

Kyla Hayes was one of the ones who went public, went on tv. She said the primary reason she went public is she got tired of hearing that the whole reason people thought Watson did it was he's a black man, so she went on tv so people could see she was black too, as were more than half of the accusers. she said I wanted it to be clear to all the people saying otherwise his race has nothing to do with this case.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the pursuit of Deshaun Watson: "We've been very clear with every club, whether the criminal matter gets resolved or not, that the personal conduct policy is very important to us. ... They understand that's something we're going to pursue."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Browns Get Bad News on Deshaun Watson's Legal Issues​

The Cleveland Browns just received a serious body blow when it comes to their new quarterback. The legal issues Deshaun Watson has been facing for more than a year won't be resolved until at least 2023. That means the issues related to allegations of sexual misconduct and assault leveled against him will hang over the franchise for at least another year.

On Tuesday it was reported that Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing 22 women suing Watson for sexual misconduct and sexual assault, and Rusty Hardin, Watson's defense attorney, haven't been able to agree on a number of issues. That has pushed the proceedings back so much that it would violate an agreed-upon moratorium set to last from August 1, 2022, to March 1, 2023.

Watson still has a number of depositions remaining and will have at least six in June alone. There's no way to get everything done and start the trials before the August 1 date. That means they'll all begin after March 1, 2023, just after Watson's first season with the Browns ends.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Browns Get Bad News on Deshaun Watson's Legal Issues​

The Cleveland Browns just received a serious body blow when it comes to their new quarterback. The legal issues Deshaun Watson has been facing for more than a year won't be resolved until at least 2023. That means the issues related to allegations of sexual misconduct and assault leveled against him will hang over the franchise for at least another year.

On Tuesday it was reported that Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing 22 women suing Watson for sexual misconduct and sexual assault, and Rusty Hardin, Watson's defense attorney, haven't been able to agree on a number of issues. That has pushed the proceedings back so much that it would violate an agreed-upon moratorium set to last from August 1, 2022, to March 1, 2023.

Watson still has a number of depositions remaining and will have at least six in June alone. There's no way to get everything done and start the trials before the August 1 date. That means they'll all begin after March 1, 2023, just after Watson's first season with the Browns ends.
Any bets on watsons new contract affecting what they could agree on?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Any bets on watsons new contract affecting what they could agree on?
Yup, dude should have just sucked it up and stayed with Texans until everything was finished...then get traded and receive new contract. He's becoming the poster boy for bad legal representation and career advice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, dude should have just sucked it up and stayed with Texans until everything was finished...then get traded and receive new contract. He's becoming the poster boy for bad legal representation and career advice.

Yeah but remember he wanted out of there before all these allegations came out. At a certain point he probably figured there was no going back.

And it's still not only possible but apparently somewhat likely the NFL will suspend him. They are supposed to meet with him this week so only 2 days left to see if anything happens this week.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Yeah but remember he wanted out of there before all these allegations came out. At a certain point he probably figured there was no going back.

And it's still not only possible but apparently somewhat likely the NFL will suspend him. They are supposed to meet with him this week so only 2 days left to see if anything happens this week.
I understand the leagues “conduct” policy, and the league isn’t the only with such a policy. Many professions have a similar policy. With that said, I have much difficulty understanding what is within the purview of the organization and what is not. IMO it’s a slippery slope. The criminal legal system refused to pickup charges on DW, however the civil actions remain in play (I know that’s shocking; almost as shocking as the quarter billion he became worth over night). I know the allegations are substantial, but that shouldn’t be confused with substantiated. I don’t believe the league should take any further action against him. I think if anything slap him with an 8 game suspension and considered it time served from last year. I am not a DW fan per se, but I am a fan of justice and equality as defined by our constitution. Our legal system isn’t perfect, and this imperfection is equally shared by the defense and prosecutorial bodies IMO. I would rather free 10 guilty men than imprison 1 that was not guilty. It is so easy to make ish up. Conventional wisdom says where there is smoke there is fire, but my experience in life has shown me it’s actually not very hard to create fake smoke in the absence of real fire. The rules and burden of proof are there for a reason. Perfect, no. But is it the best system on the planet? I tend to answer yes to that question.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the leagues “conduct” policy, and the league isn’t the only with such a policy. Many professions have a similar policy. With that said, I have much difficulty understanding what is within the purview of the organization and what is not. IMO it’s a slippery slope. The criminal legal system refused to pickup charges on DW, however the civil actions remain in play (I know that’s shocking; almost as shocking as the quarter billion he became worth over night). I know the allegations are substantial, but that shouldn’t be confused with substantiated. I don’t believe the league should take any further action against him. I think if anything slap him with an 8 game suspension and considered it time served from last year. I am not a DW fan per se, but I am a fan of justice and equality as defined by our constitution. Our legal system isn’t perfect, and this imperfection is equally shared by the defense and prosecutorial bodies IMO. I would rather free 10 guilty men than imprison 1 that was not guilty. It is so easy to make ish up. Conventional wisdom says where there is smoke there is fire, but my experience in life has shown me it’s actually not very hard to create fake smoke in the absence of real fire. The rules and burden of proof are there for a reason. Perfect, no. But is it the best system on the planet? I tend to answer yes to that question.

They haven't done anything yet but all these insider reports have been saying for awhile now they expect he very likely will get suspended.

There's a big difference between enough evidence to convince the NFL he violated their conduct policy, and enough to warrant a trial.

when I saw this thread had been bumped I actually assumed the NFL had announced suspension or no suspension wasn't expecting it to be about something else because I'd been reading the decision would probably come down this week.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think they suspend him. He was already out the entire year, right?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they suspend him. He was already out the entire year, right?

Right but the NFL has already said that won't have any bearing on if they suspend him or not. Technically he was sitting out because he wanted a trade.

he got paid last year, more than 10 million. Houston apparently had him on the inactive list every week so he got paid. So the NFL might consider that in suspending him this year who knows.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right but the NFL has already said that won't have any bearing on if they suspend him or not. Technically he was sitting out because he wanted a trade.

he got paid last year, more than 10 million. Houston apparently had him on the inactive list every week so he got paid. So the NFL might consider that in suspending him this year who knows.
I don't think he gets suspended. If he does, it won't be more than a game or two max.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it will be 4-6 game type of thing. I never trust the NFL to do the right thing but I just think it will be something. Similar to what happened with Big Ben

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I don't think he gets suspended. If he does, it won't be more than a game or two max.
He's gonna get 8 games, IMO. Like Russ already mentioned, he was on the active roster all year, getting paid and then just inactive on game day. This was because the NFL refused to say if they would be placing him on Commissioner's Exempt List, based on lawsuits. That also contributed to him not being traded right away...Any team trading for him couldn't get an answer on that from the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's gonna get 8 games, IMO. Like Russ already mentioned, he was on the active roster all year, getting paid and then just inactive on game day. This was because the NFL refused to say if they would be placing him on Commissioner's Exempt List, based on lawsuits. That also contributed to him not being traded right away...Any team trading for him couldn't get an answer on that from the NFL.
The crazy part is the statement the NFL makes with only an eight game suspension.

Trevor Bauer's suspension even felt like a slap on the wrist.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson accuser: Cleveland Browns contract was a 'big screw you'

Two of Deshaun Watson’s accusers had a similar reaction when they learned of his record $230 million contract with the Cleveland Browns.

“It’s just like a big screw you,” Ashley Solis said on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel airing Tuesday night. “That's what it feels like. That we don't care. He can run and throw, and that's what we care about.”

Another accuser, Kyla Hayes, said, “It was sick to me.”

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What would be ironic is if Baker plays lights out, gets traded to...let's say the Packers and has a good career.

...and Watson doesn't pan out.
I would hope so but some people should go to jail without having a chance to prove it, instead 230 mil

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Deshaun Watson accuser: Cleveland Browns contract was a 'big screw you'

Two of Deshaun Watson’s accusers had a similar reaction when they learned of his record $230 million contract with the Cleveland Browns.

“It’s just like a big screw you,” Ashley Solis said on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel airing Tuesday night. “That's what it feels like. That we don't care. He can run and throw, and that's what we care about.”

Another accuser, Kyla Hayes, said, “It was sick to me.”
They aren't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.