OT Urban Meyer to retire after Rose Bowl

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
The only place I could see him coaching is possibly Notre Dame, maybe Texas, but only if he gets his health back under control, a big if. OSU is his dream school so his medical issues must be pretty serious for him to walk away.
No way he should go to the pro's, he's a mentor and motivator of kids, not really an X & O's guy. I do think he's consider the Browns if everything aligned, I just don't think he'd succeed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I needed some comedy relief today.

You must be so proud. What a glorious coach, what a glorious program. Typically, I don't give two farts about Ohio State. but, this legend. This paragon of character you had there, wow. I am so envious.

I mean the guy allows you to say, "We aren't as bad as Penn State."

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do he did that thinks he help AH kill people?

You think a control freak like Urban Meyer had no clue what Hernandez was like?

Why did Meyer tell an NFL team "No way" when it came to drafting Hernandez?

And, if he really felt that way, then why did he keep Hernandez' troubles as quiet as possible? In fact, why not rescind his scholarship if he was so awful? Wins are more important than anything?

I mean, the guy was consistent. Gang bangers, wife beaters, just keep it quiet, winning the stupid games are way more important. Hey, Meyer was no phony. Win at all costs. You know what you get with him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You think a control freak like Urban Meyer had no clue what Hernandez was like?

Why did Meyer tell an NFL team "No way" when it came to drafting Hernandez?

And, if he really felt that way, then why did he keep Hernandez' troubles as quiet as possible? In fact, why not rescind his scholarship if he was so awful? Wins are more important than anything?

I mean, the guy was consistent. Gang bangers, wife beaters, just keep it quiet, winning the stupid games are way more important. Hey, Meyer was no phony. Win at all costs. You know what you get with him.
First off, I'm not even a big Urban Meyer fan. He's a good coach, sure, but that's all the farther it goes with me.

I just think it's absolutely preposterous to try to hold him accountable for an ex-player murdering somebody. Are you holding Nick Saban responsible for Ruben Foster beating his girlfriend? Is it Tom Osborne's fault Lawrence Phillips ended up in jail?

Let me guess, you're a Gator fan?

Do you have this vitriol for Joe Pa? He was told about Sandusky and did nothing. There's a direct connection there not some crazy conspiracy theory that Meyer is responsible for Hernandez's behavior. Are you mad at Hernandez's parents or just Urban?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"
Rolling Stone had some harsh criticism of Hernandez's Florida years with Meyer:

Hernandez left home in January 2007, taking early graduation to enroll at Florida and be eligible for spring football. But he was miserable and overmatched his first year there and told friends on the phone he wanted to quit. Meyer brought him in for face-to-face meetings, reading Scripture in his office each morning. He assigned Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin All-American linemen, to baby-sit Hernandez, and detailed Tim Tebow, the truest of believers, to be his life instructor. But even Tebow couldn’t save him from himself once Hernandez got a few beers in his system. The pair went out that April to a bar near campus, where the underage Hernandez had an argument with a waiter and punched him in the head as he walked away. Michael Taphorn suffered a ruptured eardrum, but didn’t press charges on Hernandez, telling the cops he was talking to Florida coaches, according to a police report. The matter seems to have been settled quietly out of court, which was fine with Gainesville cops and the DA. They treated the punch-out as a juvie offense, giving Hernandez a deferred prosecution on the hush.

"We didn’t hear that story till much, much later – the police didn’t file a report," says a local reporter who was covering the team. As a sophomore, Hernandez was benched for the season opener, meaning he’d likely failed drug tests over the summer. But Meyer denied it, saying he "wasn’t ready to play," again giving cover for bad behavior. "Meyer kept us at such a distance," says the reporter, "or flat-out lied, that we couldn’t verify a pot suspension."

Hernandez would fail other drug tests, according to reports, and should have faced bans for up to half a season, per school regulations. Instead, he didn’t miss a single snap, though he was seen hanging out with a crew of thugs at a local bar.".......

WhoTH is crazier. Meyer or Hernandez?

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2...da-new-england-aaron-hernandez-enough-already

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm not even a big Urban Meyer fan. He's a good coach, sure, but that's all the farther it goes with me.

I just think it's absolutely preposterous to try to hold him accountable for an ex-player murdering somebody. Are you holding Nick Saban responsible for Ruben Foster beating his girlfriend? Is it Tom Osborne's fault Lawrence Phillips ended up in jail?

Let me guess, you're a Gator fan?

Do you have this vitriol for Joe Pa? He was told about Sandusky and did nothing. There's a direct connection there not some crazy conspiracy theory that Meyer is responsible for Hernandez's behavior. Are you mad at Hernandez's parents or just Urban?

There is nothing lower than Joe Paterno and his cover up of Sandusky at Penn State. That was the ugliest, most immoral, occurrence in the history of sports.

Gator fan????? --- um, no.

Hernandez' dad died when he was a teenager. From a hernia surgery. Not too surprisingly, he embraced the dark side. Everyone knew he was a problem. His family. His friends. His coaches. Even Belichek. Do you know the only reason he was in the Boston area at the time of the last murder, was because Belicheck told him to stay there that offseason? Because AH had scared Belicheck with some things he had said right after the end of the previous season?

Obviously, the tragedy is not all on Meyer. And, I admit I basically said it was. So many people blew it on AH.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
"
Rolling Stone had some harsh criticism of Hernandez's Florida years with Meyer:

Hernandez left home in January 2007, taking early graduation to enroll at Florida and be eligible for spring football. But he was miserable and overmatched his first year there and told friends on the phone he wanted to quit. Meyer brought him in for face-to-face meetings, reading Scripture in his office each morning. He assigned Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin All-American linemen, to baby-sit Hernandez, and detailed Tim Tebow, the truest of believers, to be his life instructor. But even Tebow couldn’t save him from himself once Hernandez got a few beers in his system. The pair went out that April to a bar near campus, where the underage Hernandez had an argument with a waiter and punched him in the head as he walked away. Michael Taphorn suffered a ruptured eardrum, but didn’t press charges on Hernandez, telling the cops he was talking to Florida coaches, according to a police report. The matter seems to have been settled quietly out of court, which was fine with Gainesville cops and the DA. They treated the punch-out as a juvie offense, giving Hernandez a deferred prosecution on the hush.

"We didn’t hear that story till much, much later – the police didn’t file a report," says a local reporter who was covering the team. As a sophomore, Hernandez was benched for the season opener, meaning he’d likely failed drug tests over the summer. But Meyer denied it, saying he "wasn’t ready to play," again giving cover for bad behavior. "Meyer kept us at such a distance," says the reporter, "or flat-out lied, that we couldn’t verify a pot suspension."

Hernandez would fail other drug tests, according to reports, and should have faced bans for up to half a season, per school regulations. Instead, he didn’t miss a single snap, though he was seen hanging out with a crew of thugs at a local bar.".......

WhoTH is crazier. Meyer or Hernandez?

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2...da-new-england-aaron-hernandez-enough-already
That article is pure speculative horse crap.

He'd likely failed drug tests over the summer, pure speculation denied by the coach. Who was the "local reporter"? Cite the reports or show the reports where he failed drug tests. Oh, that's right, they couldn't verify the reports.

What is the "reporter's definition of thugs versus yours, mine, or anybody else definition of a thug.

I'm sure I could walk onto any campus and find players I think to be hanging out with a crew of thugs.

Hell, from reading that article, I blame Tim Tebow, lol.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article is pure speculative horse crap.

He'd likely failed drug tests over the summer, pure speculation denied by the coach. Who was the "local reporter"? Cite the reports or show the reports where he failed drug tests. Oh, that's right, they couldn't verify the reports.

What is the "reporter's definition of thugs versus yours, mine, or anybody else definition of a thug.

I'm sure I could walk onto any campus and find players I think to be hanging out with a crew of thugs.

Hell, from reading that article, I blame Tim Tebow, lol.

Contact the author and ask him. I am just a messenger. Everyone is 'speculating". Meyer seems to have done the same with Zach Smith. Just speculating.

"Speaking extemporaneously about news of Meyer’s retirement on his ESPN Radio show with Stugotz on Tuesday, Dan Le Batard mentioned that he shares — no, shared — an agent with Meyer, but that “during that mess, my agent bailed — my agent got out of that because he wasn’t taking advice. He was just doing the same thing he always does — being smug, arrogant Urban Meyer. He got into this mess because he taunted the media with arrogance about that entire incident. That’s how it started, and people started following up.”

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
That is the pattern with Meyer. He's a self serving piece of trash that cares more about how program image and his own image that he created a culture of cover up and enabling bad behavior

When mixed with the environment in Gainesville his program was a complete, toxic mess

Paterno was guilty much of the same, although blown to a higher level with the systematic sexual abuse of children

Baylor had this with Briles and Bliss and a what seems like University level awfulness

It's not uncommon that these coaches are egotistical, self serving jerks. They can't just wash their hands and absolve themselves from the fallout of the culture they foster

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
As for the Zach Smith deal, he’s a piece of crap.

But the reporting on that by ESPN and McMurphy was so sensationalistic and flat out false on many fronts.

I play poker once a month with a group of guys that includes the mayor of Powell, the town where all this ‘occurred’. He told me exactly what happened and let’s just say what was reported was extremely shoddy at best.

I know what Trump means when he says fake news. I won’t say fake news but highly sensational, one sided, stretch the truth to max, try to create a story, news is pretty accurate.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
And, I’ll repeat, I’m indifferent when it comes to Meyer.

Those who were around knew I couldn’t stand Tressel because he was the guy who was the biggest hypocrite. He portrayed this squeaky clean image that the media ate up and he/his program was dirty as hell.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As for the Zach Smith deal, he’s a piece of crap.

But the reporting on that by ESPN and McMurphy was so sensationalistic and flat out false on many fronts.

I play poker once a month with a group of guys that includes the mayor of Powell, the town where all this ‘occurred’. He told me exactly what happened and let’s just say what was reported was extremely shoddy at best.

I know what Trump means when he says fake news. I won’t say fake news but highly sensational, one sided, stretch the truth to max, try to create a story, news is pretty accurate.

To be clear, you're admitting UM is a piece of crap in the Zach Smith deal, right? Because the rest of your post seems to attempt to exonerate him of it.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
To be clear, you're admitting UM is a piece of crap in the Zach Smith deal, right? Because the rest of your post seems to attempt to exonerate him of it.
I'm not exonerating or blaming Meyer in the Zach Smith situation.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not exonerating or blaming Meyer in the Zach Smith situation.

So, what? You're pretending you can't know if he did anything? Because, sensationalist journalism aside, we know he lied about knowing and we know he didn't do anything about it when he did know. Joe Paterno he ain't--that's another level of burying bad deeds--but bury some he did. And if he was Joe **** the rag man at Chico State, he'd have been fired and never would have worked again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose