OT: the swag helped save us

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My kids and I were headed home from running some errands a few weeks back. Not too far from our house, we’re all of a sudden rear-ended.

Not something you expect when you’re doing 60 on a state highway, for sure. I move to pull over, when we’re hit AGAIN. At that point, I don’t know what the heck is going. Is this road rage, somebody trying to run us off the road to rob us? Needless to say, your mind runs a mile a minute in something like that.

I floor it; about that time, I hear the engine roaring of the guy who hit us as he pulls to pass us. Looking ahead, I see a semi coming the opposite direction and I realize he’s not going to get over in time. I put us into the ditch as the two trucks collide, come out into a field and coast to a stop in someone’s front yard.

Body shops around here are backed up for weeks, so it was a while before I even got an inspection or an estimate. I was pretty shook at the time of the accident, needless to say, but even more so when the body shop guy showed me the crumple zones and commented that it would have been much worse if not for my trailer hitch.

I’ve used that hitch for hauling bikes but the vast majority of the time it just holds my Cards emblem.

Attachments

• 4669BB35-E82E-443C-B353-73B0EC53A5DE.jpeg
    4669BB35-E82E-443C-B353-73B0EC53A5DE.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Holy crap what happened to the crazy dude?
I haven't heard it officially, but I think he had a heart attack and went rigid, pinning the gas pedal to the floor.

When he hit the semi he was ejected and did not survive. :(

Another crazy thing is that the guy who hit me was 72 and the guy driving the semi was 86 (!!!)

Article in our paper was pretty crap:

It's state law that everyone involved in a fatal accident must be drug tested but they kind of left it hanging.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
OMG!!! That is terrifying! How old are your kids? Are they ok? Glad nobody was hurt but that can cause some mental trauma too.

Reaction score
So your saying, "There's some good can come from being a lifer Cardinals fan!"

Seriously though. . . glad you and the family are OK!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glad you and the fam are okay Dan. That's crazy man. Ol birdie was good for something!

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OMG!!! That is terrifying! How old are your kids? Are they ok? Glad nobody was hurt but that can cause some mental trauma too.
My son is 15 and my daughter is 12. She was really shaken up immediately after the accident, but my father-in-law came and took them home from the accident site and she was okay. My son was all right initially, but he dwelled on it a bit and we talked later about what he was feeling. He was in the backseat so he had a pretty close-up view of the second impact, and he saw the collision, too.

At this point, they're good, I think.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
wow, that is like a scene out of a Final Destination movie! Absolutely chilling.

Very glad to hear you all are safe

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA