OT: Thank God it wasn't twice in one week

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I know there are a number of other "double Cards" fans (baseball and football) on the board.

It would have been bad had the Cards simply lost 2 games after being up 3-2. But when they actually got a lead in the 9th on an unlikely HR and the Mets started rallyingin the 9th, I was having Monday night flashbacks. To have 2 victories snatched away within days would have been a lot to swallow.

Again, sorry for the baseball topic, but I knew this was probably one place where there would be a few people who were sharing the ulcer I was getting last night.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The similariy between the BB Cardinals last night and the FB Cardinals of Monday night was that I considered the Mets to be the best team in MLB and the Bears to be the best team in the NFL.

The difference was in expectation levels (though not in a way that you'd expect).

I was more willing to accept the outcome of last night's game should the Mets had won, because I felt the BB Cardinals had gotten much farther than I ever expected them to and would have been outplayed in a close game by the better team.

By the end of the Bear game, I didn't feel that way at all, because we had more to prove (and was on the way to proving it). That's what made this loss far more difficult to take.

OP
OP
C

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I had similar expectations overall, but that perspective changed a little in the 9th inning.

Had the Mets come out and won 4-1, 7-3 (name your score) I would have been disappointed but like you say, not on the same level. To get a lead in the 9th and then have it slip away, however, that would have been a bitter pill, regardless of expectations.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As a fan of both Cardinals I like to compare the two franchises. The baseball Cards are the exact opposite of their football namesake.

This is their 17th NL Championship and they have more World Series wins than any other team besides the Yankees. This will be the 8th WS for the Cards in my lifetime.

The baseball team is at the top of the league every year in attendence. Their merchandise is available everywhere.

But the biggest difference is in player performance. When St. Louis signs a guy he turns into a "player". Just look at Spezio and Preston Wilson both rescued from the scrap heap so to speak and both contributing to the postseason run.

On the other hand when Arizona signs a guy he immediatley grows 10 thumbs and two left feet.

Fortunately I saw signs of that changing Monday night. Francisco's effort on the punt return for a TD for instance. He didn't get the guy but he didn't quit and moving the blocker out of the way while running at full speed for a diving attempt at Hester really impressed me.

The Cards start getting that kind of performance from more of their mid-tier players and the days of 5-11 will be over.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yeah I got Cards squared too, and when Chavez made that catch I'd of bet my house the Cards lose that game, I was throwing things in my basement just ticked and hating Rolen when he airmailed that ball over Pujols.

You know what though, this years version of the Cards baseball team reminds me some of the Cards football team, the only difference is the baseball team knows how to win and has been there before.

The football team will get there, it's comming and sooner rather than later, we are more talented by far than many even expect, MNF people saw that, I can't tell you how many people who know I'm a Cardinals football fan have told me that was an amazing game and that they now think the Cardinals are for real.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave