OT: SMH-Junior Seau's Family Suing The NFL

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is like someone suing McDonalds for gaining weight from eating their food.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Think of all the old Hollywood stuntmen who will be suing like crazy, if this madness works in their favor.

I mean.. it's pretty much the same thing, You agree to use your body as a crash test dummy, in exchange for $$

Eff all these greedy eh-holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems like a justifiable lawsuit to me. Seriously, how could anyone expect problems to ensue from frequent savage blows to the head. Why aren't they suing Pop Warner (or some other level)?

Steve

Do you have the picture of Seau with someone holding a gun to his head to play or are you just playing the snark card?

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
I look at it this way: companies have to provide safe work environments for their employees as stipulated by OSHA. Even if I agreed to waive my rights for a lot of money the company is still liable. Since the NFL isn't governed by normal labor laws I think this lawsuit is perfectly legitimate.

Bottom line paying a lot of money doesn't absolve a company from providing a safe workplace.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way: companies have to provide safe work environments for their employees as stipulated by OSHA. Even if I agreed to waive my rights for a lot of money the company is still liable. Since the NFL isn't governed by normal labor laws I think this lawsuit is perfectly legitimate.

Bottom line paying a lot of money doesn't absolve a company from providing a safe workplace.

And when firefighters sue because they're shocked to discover that smoke inhalation can be dangerous down the road, will you say the same thing? I'm not sure how culpable the NFL is here. I'm not saying they're not culpable, just saying I'm not sure.

If they've intentionally held back facts or opted to go with less safe equipment or if they've helped foster an environment where excessive risks are taken for granted, then maybe there's legitimate cause for a lawsuit (I'm speaking about my version of common sense, not a comment about how our legal system will view it). But, when it comes across as if the players had no reason to suspect they were engaging in high risk actions on the field, I think it crosses the line.

Steve

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Goldberg ? Osborne ? is that you ?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely BS lawsuit!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I see no problem with the lawsuit at all. If they win, they simply must subtract any income Seau made due to playing in the NFL from the settlement. Heck, they might end up owing the NFL :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when firefighters sue because they're shocked to discover that smoke inhalation can be dangerous down the road, will you say the same thing? I'm not sure how culpable the NFL is here. I'm not saying they're not culpable, just saying I'm not sure.

If they've intentionally held back facts or opted to go with less safe equipment or if they've helped foster an environment where excessive risks are taken for granted, then maybe there's legitimate cause for a lawsuit (I'm speaking about my version of common sense, not a comment about how our legal system will view it). But, when it comes across as if the players had no reason to suspect they were engaging in high risk actions on the field, I think it crosses the line.

Steve

The 2nd part of your post is the key. Seau's family is claiming the NFL knew much more about this stuff than they let on to the players.

It'd be like someone knowing a standard operating procedure for a fireman was extremely dangerous, but not telling the firemen it was because it was bad for business.

That's the allegation here that they knew for years players were risking long term health by playing with concussions.

I have no idea if they really did or not, but nothing would surprise me with that much money at stake.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
As has been stated, if the NFL knew, in advance, years ago, that the game could be made safer - only to then choose, knowingly, not to advance safety equipment/rules/detailed warnings to its employees, a legitimate lawsuit exists.

Don't forget that people were once told, in adverstisements, that "doctors preferred" a certain brand of cigarettes. At the same time this was going on, the tobacco companies knew the harmful effects and addictive qualities of tobacco/nicotine.

People these days seem so quick to assume greed on the part of an employee, or his family, yet so slow to assume greed on the part of the company.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
it's simply a knowledge of the safety risk of the players in the 1970s/1980s/1990s versus the knowledge of the league in the 1970s/1980s/1990s. They should be equal.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bwhahahahahahaha, you Sir, are all that is WRONG in this Country.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score

Yeah, let's protect those poor businesses from any sort of responsibility!

As stated earlier in the thread, the family will have to prove that the NFL was negligible. I don't think that is a frivolous law suit and I'd love to hear why you think it is.

I love that you think I'm whats WRONG with this country.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

As stated earlier in the thread, the family will have to prove that the NFL was negligible. I don't think that is a frivolous law suit and I'd love to hear why you think it is.

You are admitting that people should take ZERO responsibility for their own actions, and I think it's BS.

No one in their right mind would play this game and not know that using your body as a human battering ram could cause considerable bodily injury.

Your way of thinking opens up a huge can of worms for any company, that puts it's employees in harms way.. Firemen/Police .. Stuntmen etc..etc..

It's assumed that when you sign on to a hazardous gig like the above, your risking life and limb, You don't have a gun to your head when you choose your career path, and suing your employer when the inevitable happens, is complete BS.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm ok with it and I am now suing the Cardinals for emotional distress due to the losing streak this season

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are admitting that people should take ZERO responsibility for their own actions, and I think it's BS.

No one in their right mind would play this game and not know that using your body as a human battering ram could cause considerable bodily injury.

Your way of thinking opens up a huge can of worms for any company, that puts it's employees in harms way.. Firemen/Police .. Stuntmen etc..etc..

It's assumed that when you sign on to a hazardous gig like the above, your risking life and limb, You don't have a gun to your head when you choose your career path, and suing your employer when the inevitable happens, is complete BS.

Calling someone especially for that comment to be what is wrong with this country is a joke.

I can agree that you know what you are doing by being in the NFL but standards are in place to keep people safe. Saying his comment is whats wrong with this country is like saying we should re enact child labor laws and allow companies to make you build a highrise while tight rope walking rather than using beams.

Certain things SHOULD be covered. you SHOULD keep your employees safe and provide a safe work envirnment for those people.

Waivers can be used, I am ok with that but if you havent signed a waiver stating you understand the hazards that the employeer doesnt care about that is on you.
Unless the NFL blatently lied to players this is a BS lawsuit but to say companies having to protect employees is whats wrong with this country is a backwards viewpoint. May as well go back to colored drinking fountains.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score

No, I'm saying that someone should have the opportunity to prove that a company withheld information or in some other way was willfully negligible.

If the NFL knew that concussions lead to serious long term issues and did not inform their players then I believe they should be held accountable for that.

On the contrary it seems that you are taking the position that a company should not be held responsible for it's actions.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're assuming someone that has a concussion is capable of making that decision for themselves, fact is they often aren't.

If you watched UCLA beat UA last night(go Bruins) you saw Travis Wear get whacked on the head fouling Ashley on what looked like a fairly normal play. Wear went out, was checking his shoulder which seemed to be sore, went to the lockerroom and then came back in and played again. At halftime he complained his shoulders were numb, they gave him tests and he failed the concussion tests. He openly admitted he didn't believe he had a concussion because he didn't have a headache or feel sick, it was just what he thought was a "stinger".

What they are claiming is the NFL knew for ages that putting players in who had concussions was dangerous to their long term health. And that the NFL got around liability by letting the players decide if they were ok or not, knowing they weren't in any condition to make such a decision.

It's quite similar to drunk drivers, how many drunk people are coherent enough to admit they shouldn't be driving? That's why you take that decision out of their hands.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're assuming someone that has a concussion is capable of making that decision for themselves, fact is they often aren't.

If you watched UCLA beat UA last night(go Bruins) you saw Travis Wear get whacked on the head fouling Ashley on what looked like a fairly normal play. Wear went out, was checking his shoulder which seemed to be sore, went to the lockerroom and then came back in and played again. At halftime he complained his shoulders were numb, they gave him tests and he failed the concussion tests. He openly admitted he didn't believe he had a concussion because he didn't have a headache or feel sick, it was just what he thought was a "stinger".

What they are claiming is the NFL knew for ages that putting players in who had concussions was dangerous to their long term health. And that the NFL got around liability by letting the players decide if they were ok or not, knowing they weren't in any condition to make such a decision.

It's quite similar to drunk drivers, how many drunk people are coherent enough to admit they shouldn't be driving? That's why you take that decision out of their hands.

So you guys are saying that Football players, Boxers etc.. Had every reason to believe they were going to leave their selected profession, no worse for the wear?

Ok, as you were.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you guys are saying that Football players, Boxers etc.. Had every reason to believe they were going to leave their selected profession, no worse for the wear?

Ok, as you were.
As you were.

'"We were saddened to learn that Junior, a loving father and teammate, suffered from CTE,'' the family said in a statement released to the AP. ''While Junior always expected to have aches and pains from his playing days, none of us ever fathomed that he would suffer a debilitating brain disease that would cause him to leave us too soon."

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As you were.

I guess we can all agree to disagree, I just don't see how anyone can pin this on the NFL.
I couldn't care less what the NFL did or didn't know/withhold etc.. Anyone slightly smarter than a rock knows that a violent game such as football, will ultimately knock some screws loose.

It's as ludicrous as people suing tobacco companies when they get lung cancer... Wahhhhh, I inhaled smoke into my lungs for 40 years and no one told me it was bad!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave