Reaction score
That sucks. He always seemed like such a good guy

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shawn Bradley reveals he's had suicidal thoughts since being paralyzed in bike crash​

In a Dodge minivan just behind him, a young mother was hustling to pick up her child from school. Bradley, who avoids naming the driver, to shield her from public scrutiny, says she bumped him from behind as he drifted left to avoid the [parked] Saturn—his Garmin GPS shows that he instantaneously accelerated to 17 mph—which propelled him toward the parked car. The shifter on his right handlebar caught the Saturn’s rear flank and jerked his front wheel sharply to the right, pulling the bike to a sudden stop and sending Bradley’s colossal body skyward.
Bradley tumbled over the trunk and the driver’s side of the Saturn, and he landed headfirst on the asphalt, his helmet cracking under his 300-odd pounds.
Bradley was conscious as he laid on the ground, and was quickly aware that he couldn't move his arms or legs or even control his breathing. At the hospital, Bradley's wife, Carrie, and her three children learned that the crash had damaged Bradley's spinal cord, and he was now a quadriplegic, with no sensation from the top of his ribcage down.

Man, I hope that he can gain back some of his independence as he alludes to in the article. :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a heartbreaking story. I wish him the best.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My closest friend was undercut in a high school basketball game in 74 and has lived as a quad ever since. I met him at ASU in 78 and I've watched the things he's had to live with from the injury and I can tell you, being in a wheelchair is the least of the problems he faces regularly. I'd be shocked if Shawn wasn't depressed and suicidal at times, hope he and his family can move beyond these challenges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave