OT: Purdy likely out next season

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you eschew drafting a QB because you signed Jimmy Garapolo.
Exactly. This is something no one in the Cards organization (and apparently few on this board) seems to comprehend.

Quarterbacks have to be able to stay on the field. Jimmy G cannot be signed as a long term starter. You could sign him and pick your long term QB and the young kid will get 4-6 weeks of i season tutoring before Garapolo gets hurt and he has to go in. He could be signed as starter b in Miami to split time with Tua as at least one will always be hurt.

This is especially true with backup QB’s and has ruined multiple Cardinal seasons/eras. This is why Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton and Colt McCoy should have never been considered by us, especially with the states of their respective teams’ o lines.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If only that were true. I didn't say anything about other players. This is a front office/organizational thing.
Look no further than SF at the beginning of the year. Jimmy G had just taken the team to the NFC championship game in 2021/22 and he was benched for Lance to start the 2022/23 season. Only because Lance got hurt, did Jimmy G come in. Lots of people were saying Jimmy G gave them the better chance to win but they went with Lance because of the draft investment.
Just one example of many of teams placing a higher emphasis on draft investment over actual production.

Yes but that's a different situation. Jimmy G's contract was expiring and Lance was drafted specifically to replace him. They had to give him the chance to start.

That's not the same situation in Purdy vs Lance. And I don't think Shanny would bench the better QB that has the obvious respect of the team if that was the situation.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's very rare in NFL QBs though. In fact, the only NFL QB that I can find that actually had it and came back to play was Jake Delhomme... and he came back only to have that awful game in the playoffs where we picked him off approximately 780,000 times. He was never himself.

Rob Johnson had the surgery and never played again, despite attempts at comebacks in training camps.

The way the QB throws the ball is considerably different than that of pitchers. Obviously medical science has evolved since 2008, but I'm not liking the chances for a guy that's a 7th round pick and might not be able to come back and throw to a bunch of All-Pros by the time roughly two years go by.

It's been a long time since Delhomme though. 16 years in medical terms is a lifetime. It's super common in baseball now, 10-20 guys a year have it. They seem to come back ok.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are you defining as failure?

Not pitching again?
Not pitching at same level?

Combination of both, and it's not my definition. I read it in an article on a recent signing by the Toronto Blue Jays.

The difference between QBs and pitchers comes from Carr on the NFL Network.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's been a long time since Delhomme though. 16 years in medical terms is a lifetime. It's super common in baseball now, 10-20 guys a year have it. They seem to come back ok.
As I said, there may have been some evolutions in the science, but in all honesty, I'm still not sure, as I recall a sports science article I can't currently find from a few years back explaining how the different throwing motions between the sports make it a completely different situation.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think that pitchers getting it and coming back okay is the same as an NFL QB.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I said, there may have been some evolutions in the science, but in all honesty, I'm still not sure, as I recall a sports science article I can't currently find from a few years back explaining how the different throwing motions between the sports make it a completely different situation.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think that pitchers getting it and coming back okay is the same as an NFL QB.

I can agree it's different, but I would have thought it worse for pitchers to come back from than QB's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose