OT: Purdy likely out next season

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But do you draft one at the top of the draft?

Wherever Jimmy G goes, he's not signing a placeholder contract.
If you're not drafting one at the top of the draft, you're making a mistake.

The most likely good QBs in this draft are Young, Stroud, and Levis. Statistically the chances that any other QB from this class is even a mediocre starter is very slim.

The Texans would be plum fools to skip this opportunity.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Knew it as soon as they showed the replay. That was a brutal karate shop coming down on his arm that was coming up. Great play by Reddick.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No matter what the narrative, he was going back to the bench next year anyways. Trey Lance will be the starter if healthy. Too much invested
I really doubt it. Lance did not look good at all last year, wasn't seen too much this year. Purdy was Jimmy G without the turnovers and with a much more accurate deepball. Purdy had completely won the locker room.

You don't bench a genuinely good QB just because you invested a lot of picks into another guy. All that matters is getting your guy.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No matter what the narrative, he was going back to the bench next year anyways. Trey Lance will be the starter if healthy. Too much invested

I don't think that's the case. Other player's don't give a crap about where you were drafted.

If Purdy was the better QB in practice and he had their trust you can't just put Lance in because he cost more. The players wouldn't stand for it. They might go along with it but it would affect performance, attitude, moral etc

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you're not drafting one at the top of the draft, you're making a mistake.

The most likely good QBs in this draft are Young, Stroud, and Levis. Statistically the chances that any other QB from this class is even a mediocre starter is very slim.

The Texans would be plum fools to skip this opportunity.

Yes, but I think Jimmy G is unlikely to be the placeholder for that choice.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he has a choice. The Texans would be nuts to not draft a young QB.

If I'm the Texans I'd be tempted to trade out for a haul that includes a 2024 1st round pick and roll with Jimmy unil next year. There are no sure things in this QB class.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If I'm the Texans I'd be tempted to trade out for a haul that includes a 2024 1st round pick and roll with Jimmy unil next year. There are no sure things in this QB class.
Waiting on a QB for next year is how a team is perpetually bad. Draft one ASAP, and move on quickly if that guy doesn't work out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Waiting on a QB for next year is how a team is perpetually bad. Draft one ASAP, and move on quickly if that guy doesn't work out.
Doesn’t even guarantee there are “sure things” in next years class either. Add in the fact it’s not even guaranteed Houston will finish with such a high pick against next year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he has a choice. The Texans would be nuts to not draft a young QB.

I'm confused. We are talking about Jimmy G., right?

If so, he's a free agent, and there will certainly be more secure and lucrative options for him than being a placeholder for the Texans' QBOF.

Carolina, Jets, Commanders, Vegas...

Don't think Jimmy wants to go from being SF's red-headed stepchild to that of the Texans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They likely bring in Bobby Slowik as the OC. Jimmy G already knows that playbook.

There's no upside in drafting an undersized longshot just because you can.

Were we right to draft Rosen? Did that make us better?

Are you glad we have Kyler? Or would you rather have waited a year for Herbert?

What matter is drafting the right QB. None of these guys scream franchise QB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Doesn’t even guarantee there are “sure things” in next years class either. Add in the fact it’s not even guaranteed Houston will finish with such a high pick against next year.
I remember how excited scouts were for the QBs in the Geno Smith draft and no QBs went in the first round that year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They likely bring in Bobby Slowik as the OC. Jimmy G already knows that playbook.

There's no upside in drafting an undersized longshot just because you can.

Were we right to draft Rosen? Did that make us better?

Are you glad we have Kyler? Or would you rather have waited a year for Herbert?

What matter is drafting the right QB. None of these guys scream franchise QB.
Again, forecasting draft classes a year out is a losers strategy.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, forecasting draft classes a year out is a losers strategy.

You don't need to forecast. All you need to do is know this one isn't very good. I wouldn;t want to draft one of these guys at #2. Would you?

If you need to role with Jimmy G until that changes then I don't see Ryans having a problem with that.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. Other player's don't give a crap about where you were drafted.

If Purdy was the better QB in practice and he had their trust you can't just put Lance in because he cost more. The players wouldn't stand for it. They might go along with it but it would affect performance, attitude, moral etc
If only that were true. I didn't say anything about other players. This is a front office/organizational thing.
Look no further than SF at the beginning of the year. Jimmy G had just taken the team to the NFC championship game in 2021/22 and he was benched for Lance to start the 2022/23 season. Only because Lance got hurt, did Jimmy G come in. Lots of people were saying Jimmy G gave them the better chance to win but they went with Lance because of the draft investment.
Just one example of many of teams placing a higher emphasis on draft investment over actual production.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jimmy G did not take that team anywhere.

That team took Jimmy G to the NFC Championship game.
LOL. It's the same point I'm trying the make with Purdy. With that defense and running game, almost anyone could have continued to drive that train.
Hence my assertion that Lance would be back as starter next year no matter what.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Poor dude. It's not a guarantee he recovers from something like this either. Could go from being the darling of the league for a few weeks to out of football.
Naw. This surgery happens in baseball pitchers yearly and they come back better than before. It's not like the old days where they're done and or never the same again. He'll be back in a year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw. This surgery happens in baseball pitchers yearly and they come back better than before. It's not like the old days where they're done and or never the same again. He'll be back in a year.
Not always the case. Many pitchers never make it back to pre-Tommy John level, and even fewer get better than before.

As a Dback Fan, well aware of this.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Not always the case. Many pitchers never make it back to pre-Tommy John level, and even fewer get better than before.

As a Dback Fan, well aware of this.
Point is, the recovery from that surgery is alot higher than you think. Again, years ago that was not the case. I believe he'll be back and performing at a high level.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's very rare in NFL QBs though. In fact, the only NFL QB that I can find that actually had it and came back to play was Jake Delhomme... and he came back only to have that awful game in the playoffs where we picked him off approximately 780,000 times. He was never himself.

Rob Johnson had the surgery and never played again, despite attempts at comebacks in training camps.

The way the QB throws the ball is considerably different than that of pitchers. Obviously medical science has evolved since 2008, but I'm not liking the chances for a guy that's a 7th round pick and might not be able to come back and throw to a bunch of All-Pros by the time roughly two years go by.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose