OT: Purdy likely out next season

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
given the trend for pass rushers to swipe at the ball vs tackling the QB --

im surprised this injury doesnt happen more often. the force of a NFL QB throwing a ball forward meeting a Edge players arm going the other direction has to be immense

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what the narrative, he was going back to the bench next year anyways. Trey Lance will be the starter if healthy. Too much invested
I very much doubt that had he stayed healthy. He showed more promise then Trey Lance ever did. JMO Heck even Lance can't stay healthy.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The UCL is a bad injury and a super painful rehab. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes a lot of time.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Really sucks for him..he may never be the same and he is getting paid like the last pick in the draft...would have been up for a huge pay raise with guaranteed money at some point..

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I very much doubt that had he stayed healthy. He showed more promise then Trey Lance ever did. JMO Heck even Lance can't stay healthy.
I'm not questioning which QB is actually better. I just know how these teams operate. There's no way that a top 3 overall pick that they traded a bunch of draft capital to get, was going to sit in 2023 for Mr Irrelevant. I think they realize, like I do, that Purdy's success was much more tied to that defense, run game and coaching than anything else. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Lindley could have made it work. LOL. That last part was a bit of exaggeration but you get my point.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tough break for him but He got his 15 minutes.
The league would’ve figured him out.

Matt Flynn and Scott Mitchell come to mind.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Nah, he's going to Houston.
Not so sure. I think with all the holes on that roster, they'd do better using cap money to sign multiple FA's and then draft a young QB to groom. I think it makes more sense for Jimmy G to end up in Carolina or Tampa Bay, with a team that just needs average QB play.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. I very much doubt Shanahan plays the lesser player because of draft position politics.

(DeMeco connection?)

Had Purdy stayed healthy, Lance may have been a trade chip with the Texans.

And I wonder if Jimmy G, a free agent, could end up with the Texans, which throws a curve into the top of the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
(DeMeco connection?)

Had Purdy stayed healthy, Lance may have been a trade chip with the Texans.

And I wonder if Jimmy G, a free agent, could end up with the Texans, which throws a curve into the top of the draft.
I don't think you eschew drafting a QB because you signed Jimmy Garapolo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Whiners have some bad QB luck

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah the interesting thing is today Shanahan said he thought it was highly unlikely Jimmy G would be back given they had Lance and Purdy. I immediately thought you don't know if Purdy will even play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep I can tell you most 49er fans thought it was Purdy's job to lose and were even dreaming up pipe dream scenarios to trade Lance and get some draft capital back