OT: Players and injuries

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know this seems completely out of the blue.

LeBron James' has had a long relatively injury-free career. I have a theory. If you watch LeBron James running gait, he runs on his toes. His heels do not strike the floor first. This is a discussion going on in the distance running world right now. Runners who learn over time--you have to develop the foot and lower leg muscles to do it--to land on the balls of their feet rather than heel strike first, have significantly less injury issues.

I notice that Ricky Rubio has an exaggerated heel strike when he runs. His slight frame probably helps him though.

Many contend that if kids did not have highly padded shoes or went barefoot more, they would not heel strike first.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes sense about landing on your toes or forefoot. After having a sore knee I started trying to land on my forefoot when walking. I must say I think it helps because it seems to act as a shock absorber lessening the impact.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It makes sense about landing on your toes or forefoot. After having a sore knee I started trying to land on my forefoot when walking. I must say I think it helps because it seems to act as a shock absorber lessening the impact.
Out of curiosity, I tried both ways. Because I was born with no arch
in my feet (flat footed), I find that I land on both my toes and heel.

I, too, have a sore (left) knee, but that is osteo-arthritis which, I
think, came from decades of driving cars with stick shift. Of course
I also have arthritis in my back, neck, jaw, hands and thumb.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I tried both ways. Because I was born with no arch
in my feet (flat footed), I find that I land on both my toes and heel.

I, too, have a sore (left) knee, but that is osteo-arthritis which, I
think, came from decades of driving cars with stick shift. Of course
I also have arthritis in my back, neck, jaw, hands and thumb.

Getting older sucks. I guess there is no way around it. :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It beats the alternative! :)

Well, I guess I will get back to walking on my toes.

It would seem like they could make a shoe to accomplish the same thing without all the effort. Maybe they do.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know this seems completely out of the blue.

LeBron James' has had a long relatively injury-free career. I have a theory. If you watch LeBron James running gait, he runs on his toes. His heels do not strike the floor first. This is a discussion going on in the distance running world right now. Runners who learn over time--you have to develop the foot and lower leg muscles to do it--to land on the balls of their feet rather than heel strike first, have significantly less injury issues.

I notice that Ricky Rubio has an exaggerated heel strike when he runs. His slight frame probably helps him though.

Many contend that if kids did not have highly padded shoes or went barefoot more, they would not heel strike first.
I remember in little league, in the 70s, they wanted us running on the balls of our feet...soccer, too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I remember in little league, in the 70s, they wanted us running on the balls of our feet...soccer, too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My previous post about stepping on both the balls and heels of my feet
pertained to walking. I just tested it while running. You are right. It is
much better to run on the balls of your feet.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can’t do it for long unless you build up the h muscle endurance. There are some YouTube videos about it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got posters talking and testing how to best land while running. If that isn't a sign that the offseason is too long I don't know what is.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got posters talking and testing how to best land while running. If that isn't a sign that the offseason is too long I don't know what is.
Its better than talking about Antonio McDyess and the Denver debacle, or Horry and the suspension, or Rick Robey.