OT NY Times article on Brandon Jennings

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a subscriber thing so I can't seem to cut and paste from it but it's there in today's online version.

The interesting part is that they are claiming between his basketball contract and his new endorsement with Underarmour(he's their first basketball client), he will make 1.2 million. says he signed a 3 year contract but with the expectation after one year an NBA team will buy it out making money for the Italian team.

Says in 5 exhibition games he led the team in scoring about 20 PPG, coach said he kicked him out of practice once and since then he's been well behaved, family is adjusting well, Sonny Vaccaro is a saint(I may have misquoted there).

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Here is the full text of the NYT article:

October 5, 2008
At 19, Plotting New Path to N.B.A., via Europe

By PETE THAMEL
ROME — Brandon Jennings likes fettuccine Alfredo, but he never envisioned eating it for lunch near the Pantheon.
Jennings, 19, is a basketball player, and a trailblazer of sorts. He is the first American to play professionally in Europe directly out of high school. He signed this summer with Lottomatica Virtus Roma, a top team, and he is forging a cutting-edge career path.

Jennings, of Compton, Calif., was unsure about meeting the academic requirements for a scholarship to the University of Arizona after he signed a letter of intent to play there.

Instead he chose to play in Italy, where he will earn $1.2 million this season in salary and endorsements, including a shoe contract with Under Armour. Roma signed Jennings to a three-year deal but has little at risk because his contract must be bought out if he leaves for the National Basketball Association. If Jennings has a strong season with Roma and is among the top 10 selected in next June’s N.B.A. draft, as expected, more players may follow his route. “I think it’s going to change the game a lot,” he said. “If they don’t change the rule, I think you’re going to see more kids test the waters and try to make a name for themselves overseas.”

The N.B.A. changed its eligibility rules for the 2006 draft, requiring players to be at least a year past their high school graduating class before turning pro. That has invigorated the college game and given stars like Derrick Rose, Greg Oden and Kevin Durant, who might have entered the draft after high school, a taste of campus life. The question of how many players will follow Jennings’s path to the N.B.A. lingers at all levels. Sonny Vaccaro, the former sneaker company executive who orchestrated Jennings’s move, said that the families of 12 elite high school players had contacted him. They are intrigued by the notion of going to Europe.

“I think we’re going to have a revolution, and Brandon Jennings, a kid from Compton, is going to start it,” Vaccaro said in a telephone interview.
Jennings’s decision, driven by circumstance and opportunity, is challenging the custom that an elite player must attend college before he pursues his dream of playing in the N.B.A. Playing professionally in Europe suits Jennings’s basketball goals and is far more lucrative than a college scholarship. He was an all-American at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia and was considered the nation’s top point guard.

No one knows the effect that a parade of elite players taking Jennings’s path would have on the college game, and the flow of players to Europe is expected to be a trickle rather than a flood. The N.C.A.A. tournament has thrived even though a generation of stars like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James skipped college for the N.B.A. “I don’t know what’s going to happen in terms of other people,” Myles Brand, the president of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, said in a recent interview. “But I would hope and expect that most would want to go to college, not just to play basketball but to get an education.”

David Stern, the N.B.A. commissioner, is an advocate for having high school players wait a year to enter the league. He said that Jennings would probably have a better basketball experience in Europe than in college. N.B.A. teams have sophisticated scouting systems abroad, Stern said, and 74 international players began last season on league rosters.
“I actually think it’s a pretty cool thing for a kid to do what he’s doing,” Stern said. “There’s a big world out there. If you want to play for Rome as opposed to Arizona, go ahead and do what you think is best. It’s a positive development for kids and for the N.B.A. scouts.”
At lunch near the Pantheon, Jennings spun fettuccine Alfredo on his fork and referred to playing college basketball several times as “the easy road.” Jennings said he regretted that he did not declare his intentions to play in Europe before he left high school. He said he would have received a bigger contract and shoe deal if there had been more hype.

Instead, Jennings, an admittedly apathetic student, signed a letter of intent to attend Arizona and planned to stay there only one season. But he struggled to reach a standardized test score to meet the N.C.A.A. minimum for a scholarship. (He and his mother, Alice Knox, said that his last SAT score was questioned by the testing service and that they still had not received it.) Jennings said he had strongly considered taking the year off, receiving a shoe company sponsorship and working out until the draft. That was until he and his mother heard Vaccaro talking on the radio about Europe as an option for high school basketball players. Jennings called Vaccaro, and about two months later, he was in Rome.

“Going to college was something that I didn’t want to do,” Jennings said. “If I did that and came to the league and I’m not ready, and then I have to wait two years for my turn. Why not come overseas and learn the pro game and be ahead of everybody?”
But his workday is not a stroll in the piazza. The 6-foot-2 Jennings, Roma’s youngest player by five years, is coached by the demanding Jasmin Repesa, who also coaches Croatia’s national team. The team practices twice a day, with skill work and weight lifting in the morning and more traditional practice at night.

Jennings is comfortable because he has three American teammates, and the team’s primary language is English. He lives with his mother and half-brother in a posh apartment provided by the team. Yet during training camp in September, Repesa, whose booming voice could quiet an Oktoberfest beer tent at last call, threw Jennings out of practice one day for not cutting hard in a drill.
“I was like, Man, I got kicked out of practice for that,” Jennings said. “But it was lesson learned, and we moved on.”

That moment was an anomaly. Repesa said Jennings had improved significantly, especially on defense, during his first month. He led the team in scoring, averaging about 20 points through five exhibition games.
Roma’s general manager, Dejan Bodiroga, said he had been impressed with Jennings’s attitude, work ethic and determination. That has coalesced with his natural ability.

“He’s one of the top talents that I’ve ever seen,” Bodiroga said.
So far, Roma seems happy with the result, and Jennings is likely to play plenty of minutes when the 65-game season begins later this month.
Claudio Toti, Roma’s owner and president, said he expected other European clubs to try to lure top American prospects next year.
“Rome opened the door,” he said. “It could be an important signing for young people.”

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The academic thing is pretty important, but getting a chance to play 65 games plus a LOT of practice may be better than 30 games and highly restricted practices in the US - IF HE DOES WELL.

If I was going to showcase him, I'd have him play in France rather than Italy since their style puts a lot more emphasis on athleticism. But if he can play, he should learn more than a one and out in the USA.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
If I was going to showcase him, I'd have him play in France rather than Italy since their style puts a lot more emphasis on athleticism. But if he can play, he should learn more than a one and out in the USA.

Jennings had to go where the money is and in France he wouldnt get the money he can earn in Italy, Spain, Greece or Russia.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it 2 ways. If like me you believe that the 2nd SAT test that wasn't allowed to stand was not his test, then you take the approach he's only in Europe because he got caught and couldn't get into college, he was perfectly willing to pretend to be a student for a year if he had gotten away with the SAT, but he didn't.

So claiming he's a pioneer and all that is nonsense, he's just a kid who had to go to plan B and claiming he wishes he'd declared that earlier in the same article where his mom explains where and when they got the idea(completely contradicting Brandon) is kind of silly.

That said, I don't hate the kid and I'm glad it worked out for him financially. People who are supposed to know say kids overseas often don't get the money they're told they're getting, but it seems like he's got a good situation for his family, and the Underarmour deal means he gets paid money from a US company too so if he does have issues getting paid correctly in Italy, he'll have that money to fall back on.

I just don't like how the article makes him out to be a trailblazer that other kids should follow, most kids simply aren't good enough to do what he's doing, most kids SHOULD concentrate on school so they can get into college and improve, most kids who were as apathetic as he was in school would not get 1.2 million like that so using him as a role model is a bad proposition.

He'll succeed he's too talented not to.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It is hard to blaze a trail that only two or three guys can even pretend to follow. Even at the height of the "straight from HS" period, there were fewer than 10 guys. The novelty of taking guys like Ebi wore off pretty quickly.

Most "straight from HS" guys are not ready to contribute. They get taken as FUTURE stars on the hope they live up to their promise. Most of these guys lack the skills to be much use to the Europeans except as bait for buyouts. They won't produce much more in Europe than in D-League for a while, so I think the Euopean teams will be relucant to sign guys UNLESS if they are SURE they can make money on the buyouts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is hard to blaze a trail that only two or three guys can even pretend to follow. Even at the height of the "straight from HS" period, there were fewer than 10 guys. The novelty of taking guys like Ebi wore off pretty quickly.

Most "straight from HS" guys are not ready to contribute. They get taken as FUTURE stars on the hope they live up to their promise. Most of these guys lack the skills to be much use to the Europeans except as bait for buyouts. They won't produce much more in Europe than in D-League for a while, so I think the Euopean teams will be relucant to sign guys if they are SURE they can make money on the buyouts.

Oh I agree, the problem is just as there were a lot of kids who thought they were ready for the NBA out of HS(Taj McDavid anybody), there will be kids who see Jennings succeed(assuming he does) and say I'm going to do that too.

Vaccaro says something like 10-12 prominent HS players have contacted him about it as an option for them. Like you said I'm willing to bet most of those 10-12 kids aren't good enough to do it the way Jennings apparently can and if they make that decision and bail on school like Jennings did, they'll wind up with no options.

I'm glad Jennings appears to have made it payoff but from some standpoint it would have almost been better for him to completely fail, in terms of the message to kids coming up behind him.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is that the NBA needs a REAL minor league rather than a weird D-League. IMHO, it is a false economy; but the NCAA and the players union seems opposed.

Let's face, there are maybe 50 real NBA prospects each year including internationals, but 1300 college programs filled guys who have no chance of even a workout. A guy can be in the top 5% of all players in the country and not be worthy of even a workout. He can dominate everybody he plays, but it is so hard to be an NBA guy they have no clue as to what it will take.

But making every NBA wannabe go to college is absurd. In baseball, guys can be drafted and play in the minors and decide to go to college instead. Having a real minor league (every team has its own minor league team) and let the teams include veterans would give young players a chance to develop while playing real competition. Some guys would benefit from the extra practice and certainly from playing their natuarl position rather than the needs of their coach.

If the NCAA wants to continue taking advantage of these guys, why not permit guys to be drafted and paid by the NBA and still let them play with their college teams?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the NBA needs a REAL minor league rather than a weird D-League. IMHO, it is a false economy; but the NCAA and the players union seems opposed.

Let's face, there are maybe 50 real NBA prospects each year including internationals, but 1300 college programs filled guys who have no chance of even a workout. A guy can be in the top 5% of all players in the country and not be worthy of even a workout. He can dominate everybody he plays, but it is so hard to be an NBA guy they have no clue as to what it will take.

But making every NBA wannabe go to college is absurd. In baseball, guys can be drafted and play in the minors and decide to go to college instead. Having a real minor league (every team has its own minor league team) and let the teams include veterans would give young players a chance to develop while playing real competition. Some guys would benefit from the extra practice and certainly from playing their natuarl position rather than the needs of their coach.

If the NCAA wants to continue taking advantage of these guys, why not permit guys to be drafted and paid by the NBA and still let them play with their college teams?

I think the NCAA is afraid that something like that will just invite more problems. People often say if you allow NCAA athletes to get paid there won't be any cheating anymore, which IMHO is nonsense. If you let them get paid X, there will always be some school out there willing to pay them 3X under the table to get the kid to their school. No matter where you set the stipend there will always be an OJ Mayo looking to get extra and there will always be someone willing to pay him.

If you allow NBA teams to draft a player and he goes to college and gets paid you still have the issue that they either have to pretend to be college students, or you just admit them as athletes who perform for the college but don't actually attend classes. That's a complete change of the entire system.

There's no perfect answer, Jennings apparently played around with the test and got caught, Derozan in the same situation just used BYU online courses to pad his GPA so he could qualify with a lower test score. There's always someone with an angle to get around the rules and get a kid in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson