OT: NFL moved Browns Bills game

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To Ford field due to inclement weather and heavy snow…

I personally think this is incredibly lame. SMH it’s freaking football. Fans def get cheated.
They're afraid of losing to the Browns because the Browns have the better running game lol.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I personally think this is incredibly lame. SMH it’s freaking football. Fans def get cheated.

They were showing why earlier on ESPN. this storm is supposed to be potentially huge and it means they have to deal with trying to make it possible for people to attend the game which means making sure roads are passable, parking lots clean of snow etc. It's a huge amount of work for a football game. They also said after the 59-0 debacle in New England Oct 18 2009, where the Pats beat the Titans, the NFL made some rules changes to try and avoid that sort of thing again.

The competition committee decided after that while they were still willing to play games in snow they weren't going to play in REALLY bad snow if it was avoidable because the caliber of the game wasn't worth the cost to make it viable for fans.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were showing why earlier on ESPN. this storm is supposed to be potentially huge and it means they have to deal with trying to make it possible for people to attend the game which means making sure roads are passable, parking lots clean of snow etc. It's a huge amount of work for a football game. They also said after the 59-0 debacle in New England Oct 18 2009, where the Pats beat the Titans, the NFL made some rules changes to try and avoid that sort of thing again.

The competition committee decided after that while they were still willing to play games in snow they weren't going to play in REALLY bad snow if it was avoidable because the caliber of the game wasn't worth the cost to make it viable for fans.

Ehhhh still dumb imo… Football is meant to be in the elements the only time I agree to stop or move is in lightning.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh still dumb imo… Football is meant to be in the elements the only time I agree to stop or move is in lightning.

Running around in a metal helmet during lightning what could go wrong ?

Yeah I love to watch snow games too but I get the logic the cost to make it possible for fans to attend is huge and then there's the whole question of is it wise to use resources for a football game when you have a huge storm that might put everyday lives in danger.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should say @Russ Smith I should be pleased since Allan is my starter :)

The story on the Pats game was fascinating it had been so long I'd forgotten. The storm was a freak one not forecast, the Titans(Vince Young) had not expected it. In warmups the players were all falling over and expecting the game to be suspended as the field was unplayable. The Pats went into the lockerroom and came out with long spikes on, the Titans didn't have them and couldn't get them. One player said it was like were playing on ice and they weren't it was completely unplayable for us.

OBviously they have more warning than that for this game but that game changed the NFL's policy because the game was one of the most lopsided in NFL history and they decided they REALLY wanted to make sure it never happened again like that

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever think about the people trying to get to the game in that kind of weather?

Honestly no but that could be due to my ignorance being a desert kid my whole life. The girl I dated for years is from Buffalo and made several trips out there. Their attitude Toward inclement weather is pretty blasé. As a casual fan across the country outside looking in just seems like they’re equipped to handle it if anybody is they drive vehicles made for the snow etc. But def a thought to consider.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

They were slated for 3-6 FEET. While I’d have loved to have seen what that looked like, it’s likely (a) few fans should’ve travelled to the game; and (b) depending upon when the storm was going to be at its height, it may have just ground things to a halt. We are talking the potential of 72 inches in a 24 hour period. That’s an insane sheet of white coming down nonstop.

Last year we went to Brian head to ski. Was supposed to get 4 inches over the three days there and we got 41 inches. And that was over 3 days. And THAT was an insane amount of snow. Now almost double it in a third the amount of time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Honestly no but that could be due to my ignorance being a desert kid my whole life. The girl I dated for years is from Buffalo and made several trips out there. Their attitude Toward inclement weather is pretty blasé. As a casual fan across the country outside looking in just seems like they’re equipped to handle it if anybody is they drive vehicles made for the snow etc. But def a thought to consider.
There is a big difference between inclimate weather and a veritable avalanche pouring down on you from the sky.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up just between Buffalo and Cleveland. They are used to snow in that area. And a lot of it. They average over 8.5 feet of snow a year in that neck of the woods. But they are not used to anything like they are predicting this weekend.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running around in a metal helmet during lightning what could go wrong ?

Yeah I love to watch snow games too but I get the logic the cost to make it possible for fans to attend is huge and then there's the whole question of is it wise to use resources for a football game when you have a huge storm that might put everyday lives in danger.
Well now none of the Bills fans will be able to attend... so why not just keep the game in Buffalo, and ban fans from the stadium? No parking lots to clear, no concession stand workers having to get to the game, etc. Sure, they need to clear the field enough for the game and get the team busses to the stadium... but that's gotta be less work than flying everyone to Detroit and holding a game at a stadium where no one was scheduled to be this weekend. :shrug:

...dave

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well now none of the Bills fans will be able to attend... so why not just keep the game in Buffalo, and ban fans from the stadium? No parking lots to clear, no concession stand workers having to get to the game, etc. Sure, they need to clear the field enough for the game and get the team busses to the stadium... but that's gotta be less work than flying everyone to Detroit and holding a game at a stadium where no one was scheduled to be this weekend. :shrug:

...dave
You underestimate the number of people necessary to work a game, crowd or not. And you still have to worry about them all making it to and from the stadium. Likely talking about at least 200 people or more.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The wildcard is that predictions aren't perfection.

I'm from a couple hours outside of Buffalo, but not in that heavy of the snow belt

Plenty snowy though.

These places can handle snow and handle a lot of it. If you haven't lived in that area, you probably can't really understand.

High school soccer season just finished up. Very common for the state tournaments to have snow.

A 6" storm is solid, but not really doing life.

Get a foot or two and you'll have an impact, but probably working through it

I've been in a couple massive storms, including a six footer.

During those you just hope you don't lose power, have your food collapse, damage to there house, etc.

Things grind to a halt

Plowing takes forever. There is also the issue of where do you put the snow that is being cleared. It's not easy to manage.

If they get 6 feet, it's not romantic. People will die, services will fall short, first responders, utility companies, etc will all be very stressed.

The last one it took us 3-4 days to get out driveway plowed and it felt like going down a high sided slide with the snow higher than the car

Buffalo plays in orchard park, which is a little bit of a drive outside buffalo. They pull people in from all over for games - including workers.

If they get 6', then there absolutely shouldn't be a game - that's ridiculous.

The issue is, they may only get a foot or the timing may hit different where things could have worked out - the difficulty of forecast is the only thing that makes this a tough call

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey, c’mon, we Cards fans should understand since too much snow robbed us of the ‘48 title!
You must be registered for see images attach

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Aren't there reports of up to 5 feet of snow? You can't play in those kind of conditions...
It’s more about having fans driving to and from the game in white-out, can’t see 2 feet in front of you, roads not plowed and dangerous conditions. NFL and fans would love the spectacle but it could seriously lead to multiple fatalities via car accidents. Unless you’ve had to drive in conditions like that, you can’t understand.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
The wildcard is that predictions aren't perfection.

I'm from a couple hours outside of Buffalo, but not in that heavy of the snow belt

Plenty snowy though.

These places can handle snow and handle a lot of it. If you haven't lived in that area, you probably can't really understand.

High school soccer season just finished up. Very common for the state tournaments to have snow.

A 6" storm is solid, but not really doing life.

Get a foot or two and you'll have an impact, but probably working through it

I've been in a couple massive storms, including a six footer.

During those you just hope you don't lose power, have your food collapse, damage to there house, etc.

Things grind to a halt

Plowing takes forever. There is also the issue of where do you put the snow that is being cleared. It's not easy to manage.

If they get 6 feet, it's not romantic. People will die, services will fall short, first responders, utility companies, etc will all be very stressed.

The last one it took us 3-4 days to get out driveway plowed and it felt like going down a high sided slide with the snow higher than the car

Buffalo plays in orchard park, which is a little bit of a drive outside buffalo. They pull people in from all over for games - including workers.

If they get 6', then there absolutely shouldn't be a game - that's ridiculous.

The issue is, they may only get a foot or the timing may hit different where things could have worked out - the difficulty of forecast is the only thing that makes this a tough call
should shave read your post before I posted, could’ve saved some time. Where are you located? Luckily, it’s going to miss us here. Good luck to you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson