OT NFL is considering alternate sites for SB just in case

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to concerns the rising Covid rates might trigger new rules in Los Angeles, the NFL is reaching out to other sites. Apparently ATT Stadium where the Cowboys play has already been contacted. Wonder if they will contact Arizona too?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Due to concerns the rising Covid rates might trigger new rules in Los Angeles, the NFL is reaching out to other sites. Apparently ATT Stadium where the Cowboys play has already been contacted. Wonder if they will contact Arizona too?

Glendale the SB next year. Since there’s no absolute guarantees of making the playoffs next year I would pull the trigger on a switch right now.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler's never lost in ATT, so we just gotta get there!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

California health secretary: The Super Bowl is coming to Los Angeles

While the NFL has backup options in the works if the need arises to move next month’s Super Bowl, the California Health and Human Services Secretary said Wednesday to expect the game to go on as planned in Los Angeles.

“I want to be clear, the Super Bowl is coming to Los Angeles,” Dr. Mark Ghaly said, via Ashley Zavala of FOX 40.

Via Jeremy B. White of Politico, Ghaly said state and local officials have remained in contact with the NFL as the state and county see rising numbers of COVID-19 cases. California announced on Wednesday that they would extend an indoor mask mandate through mid-February, which puts the date of the Super Bowl under mask requirements.

“I think Californians are excited to see that event occur,” Ghaly said, “and the work is to be sure that, as it is moving forward as planned, the mitigation strategies that create safety around that event are in place.”

The NFL released a statement on Wednesday about their contingency planning while also stating they fully intend to play the game at SoFi Stadium next month.

We plan on playing Super Bowl LVI as scheduled at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, February 13,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said. “As part of our standard contingency planning process that we conduct for all regular and postseason games, we have contacted several clubs to inquire about stadium availability in the event we cannot play the Super Bowl as scheduled due to weather-related issues or unforeseen circumstances. Our planning process for the Super Bowl in Los Angeles is ahead of schedule and we look forward to hosting the Super Bowl there to culminate another fantastic NFL season for our fans and clubs.”

An imposition of attendance restrictions would seemingly be the biggest potential threat to Los Angeles hosting the game at this point. Mask mandates have continued on in NFL stadiums this year depending on the rules of local authorities.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
The NFL isn’t moving the Super Bowl. That game takes months/years for host cities to plan. I’m sure in an emergency situation (like sofi stadium was somehow destroyed), they’d do what the have to do, but the league stands to loose HUGE money if they move it 5 weeks out. My speculation is the NFL is posturing because they are trying to squeeze LA for a little more juice. The league pretty much comes in like the FBI is portrayed in movies when dealing with local jurisdictions.

“Hello, we are the NFL.”

“Nice to meet you NFL, we are the City of Los Angeles.”

“Uhh, you’re now the City of NFL, and we will be calling the shots until we are done. Here’s a small list of demands we expect to be met immediately.”

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL isn’t moving the Super Bowl. That game takes months/years for host cities to plan. I’m sure in an emergency situation (like sofi stadium was somehow destroyed), they’d do what the have to do, but the league stands to loose HUGE money if they move it 5 weeks out. My speculation is the NFL is posturing because they are trying to squeeze LA for a little more juice. The league pretty much comes in like the FBI is portrayed in movies when dealing with local jurisdictions.

“Hello, we are the NFL.”

“Nice to meet you NFL, we are the City of Los Angeles.”

“Uhh, you’re now the City of NFL, and we will be calling the shots until we are done. Here’s a small list of demands we expect to be met immediately.”

THey don't WANT to move it but your example isn't how it works here. The Pac 12 is going back to basketball games without fans for now, only family members of players allowed. We don't know for how long. The UC campuses are all remote learning again, you can be on campus, in a dorm but not in the classrooms.

They're trying to "bubble" now so they don't have a massive surge later

The advantage to So Fi(and ours) is that they can open the roof if the weather is good which then makes it outdoors so different rules apply and I'm sure that's what they're banking on.

But as of right now masks are going to be required at the Super Bowl, my guess is if the trend continues they're going to add vaccination and test requirements to that.

The NFL is looking at backup sites because they are concerned California might increase protocols, it's that simple

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
THey don't WANT to move it but your example isn't how it works here. The Pac 12 is going back to basketball games without fans for now, only family members of players allowed. We don't know for how long. The UC campuses are all remote learning again, you can be on campus, in a dorm but not in the classrooms.

The advantage to So Fi(and ours) is that they can open the roof if the weather is good which then makes it outdoors so different rules apply and I'm sure that's what they're banking on.

But as of right now masks are going to be required at the Super Bowl, my guess is if the trend continues they're going to add vaccination and test requirements to that.

The NFL is looking at backup sites because they are concerned California might increase protocols, it's that simple
I understand it is a State of California thing, and I’m not saying the State is wrong in its approach. I just can’t see the league pulling the trigger and moving the game 5 weeks before kickoff. My point was to illustrate how the league operates when dealing with the host cities/what their expectations are. It would be a huge loss for both sides.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand it is a State of California thing, and I’m not saying the State is wrong in its approach. I just can’t see the league pulling the trigger and moving the game 5 weeks before kickoff. My point was to illustrate how the league operates when dealing with the host cities/what their expectations are. It would be a huge loss for both sides.

Of course it would I'm just saying they are not approaching other cities now to get leverage against California, they're doing it in case California ups the regulations. california doesn't want to lose the game either but this state has been pretty consistent throughout the pandemic they have not let complaints or threats change their minds and I doubt they will now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the regular season, the games went on in spite of increased protocols, right? I don't think anything was really enforced other than wearing masks even when events of over 10,000 in Los Angeles County were supposed to have vaccine mandates, proof of negative tests, etc. I know the Antelope Valley Fair canceled rather than trying to figure out the logistics of screening guests because the increased protocols were announced only two weeks before their event was to take place. So, if the NFL games haven't been subject to increased protocols during the regular season, why wouldn't they get a pass for the Super Bowl?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the regular season, the games went on in spite of increased protocols, right? I don't think anything was really enforced other than wearing masks even when events of over 10,000 in Los Angeles County were supposed to have vaccine mandates, proof of negative tests, etc. I know the Antelope Valley Fair canceled rather than trying to figure out the logistics of screening guests because the increased protocols were announced only two weeks before their event was to take place. So, if the NFL games haven't been subject to increased protocols during the regular season, why wouldn't they get a pass for the Super Bowl?

Because the SB is a whole other thing. This OC Register article explains it better. Regular games are a 1 day thing maybe a weekend thing, the SB is a week long thing the impact on the site and the interaction of people at the site is MUCH larger. Note I do think the game will be played for the reason I cited they can open the roof. I guess the real concern would be if it's going to rain where they have to close the roof and I think that's why the NFL is saying they have a contingency in case of weather or unforseen events. They don't mean in case of a hurricane IMO, they mean if it looks like it's going to rain and we can't open the roof, that's an issue.

---------

California Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said that it’s not just the Super Bowl that brings people to L.A. County, but a week or more of events across the region. He said officials are committed to making sure the events go forward as planned, “that the mitigation strategies that create safety around that event are in place.”
“I know L.A. County is closely in contact with the NFL to make sure that strategies are put in place to ensure that people can enjoy this important event while making sure that we put things in place that allow COVID mitigation to be an important feature of the approach to that game that is just over a month away,” Ghaly said Wednesday.
Earlier Wednesday, the Grammy Awards were postponed indefinitely. They were scheduled for Crypto.com Arena on Jan. 31. Organizers cited health and safety concerns.

The Super Bowl at SoFi Stadium is scheduled for Feb. 13.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yeah, this totally makes sense to me. If California locks down, say, indoor dining, that's a huge wrench in the works for the Super Bowl experience.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No way on gods green earth does LA let the SB leave. Not gonna happen.
Agree, way too much money coming in to allow it to leave. From what I can find they claim it's between $300-500 million coming into the local economy. LA isn't going to let that escape.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "roof" at SoFi Stadium is NOT movable. It's built like a canopy over the stadium, open at the sides. The seating area is considered outdoors, while the concourses are considered indoors.

...dave
Yep. People who have gone to early-season games have complained about the heat because it is basically open-air with no air conditioning in place.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would much rather go just about anywhere over LA. Can’t believe they are making a big deal over Covid still.
My son liked the stadium after visiting it. He said it is way larger in person than what it looks like on TV. He says that big screen is phenomenal. He said you can't believe how massive it is until you see it in person.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "roof" at SoFi Stadium is NOT movable. It's built like a canopy over the stadium, open at the sides. The seating area is considered outdoors, while the concourses are considered indoors.

...dave

I did not know that thanks.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Why does an LA stadium not have the option of an open roof?
Because, as already stated, the sides are open to the sea breeze that rolls through and there is an ETF roof that allows sunlight in....but also doesn't cook the people who can't escape it when it's hot. That ETF attenuates the sunlight.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Wait, what? I just watched the Cal/USC basketball game tonight & there was fans in the stands. Not sold out or anything close to that but it wasn't just family etc etc.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? I just watched the Cal/USC basketball game tonight & there was fans in the stands. Not sold out or anything close to that but it wasn't just family etc etc.

Berkeley is in a different county and hasn't yet gone to that level. Stanford is playing without fans, UCLA played LBSU last night without fans. USC home games will apparently be without fans. It's not clear for how long they're doing it and it appears to be by county not conference.