OT: Matt Stafford

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were running an obscure stat last night on NFL network. It said that he is 0-16 in his career when playing a team that is 5 games over .500

Doesn’t really sound like a guy that shows up in big high pressure games or elevates the players around him. I know people will say “Detroit” but I don’t really buy it. He’s had some talented team and payers around him. 0-16 is pretty bad. We’ve seen back ups of mediocre teams upset teams with really good records many many times over the years.

I know people were clamoring about how this acquisition is gonna push the rams over the top. I’m still not buying it. He has already shown a couple real stinkers this year already. 0-16 sheesh.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
They were running an obscure stat last night on NFL network. It said that he is 0-16 in his career when playing a team that is 5 games over .500

Doesn’t really sound like a guy that shows up in big high pressure games or elevates the players around him. I know people will say “Detroit” but I don’t really buy it. He’s had some talented team and payers around him. 0-16 is pretty bad. We’ve seen back ups of mediocre teams upset teams with really good records many many times over the years.

I know people were clamoring about how this acquisition is gonna push the rams over the top. I’m still not buying it. He has already shown a couple real stinkers this year already. 0-16 sheesh.
I was today years old, when I found out Matthew Stafford has had 16 chances to even play a game when his team was 5 games over .500. It doesn't seem like it's even possible with all of those crap Detroit teams.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was today years old, when I found out Matthew Stafford has had 16 chances to even play a game when his team was 5 games over .500. It doesn't seem like it's even possible with all of those crap Detroit teams.
Hahaha that’s why I said “obscure”

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Really interesting, thanks for posting this.

I could imagine a 1st/2nd/3rd year guy being pretty tight in their first few "big stage/bright lights" games. That seems like it would be normal, but 0-16? That stat goes beyond a statistical anomaly, beyond DET is a bad franchise.

I've always been a little wary of the idea that Stafford was a "choker". I mean, normally, at worst after five or six (or eight or nine!) times of failing in that situation, you think mentally the tables would turn, and a guy would just go out and ball. But Maybe Matty just has a permanent case of the yips when given the chance to prove he can beat the best. Good for us.

In any event, we've got to get some signs in the stands next time LA comes to town. Some "Matty = (picture of dog collar)" or something like that. :)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being 0-16 vs. teams that are 5 games over .500 is bad, but at least he has the excuse that those were really good teams. I think his record vs. ALL winning teams is an even bigger black mark against him. As i posted recently:

Stafford is now 8-68 against teams that finished the season with a winning record, including 1-2 this year (beating the Buccaneers, getting clobbered by the Cardinals, and losing to the Titans in boneheaded fashion). If the 49ers end up above .500, that would drop him to 8-69 and 1-3 this season. And he's got 3-5 games remaining vs. winning teams this year.

He also came into the season 6-14 (.300) in prime time games, and is 2-2 so far this season, with the Monday night game in Arizona, plus others that might be flexed, remaining. Yet his overall record as a QB is 81-93-1 (.466). So he clearly has much worse outcomes in prime time.

I've always liked the guy when he was with the Lions and didn't really want to believe it, but the numbers speak for themselves: he's a choker.

...dave

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Kind of a meaningless stat. There’s an old saying about a lawyer who uses statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post, more for support than illumination.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being 0-16 vs. teams that are 5 games over .500 is bad, but at least he has the excuse that those were really good teams. I think his record vs. ALL winning teams is an even bigger black mark against him. As i posted recently:

Stafford is now 8-68 against teams that finished the season with a winning record, including 1-2 this year (beating the Buccaneers, getting clobbered by the Cardinals, and losing to the Titans in boneheaded fashion). If the 49ers end up above .500, that would drop him to 8-69 and 1-3 this season. And he's got 3-5 games remaining vs. winning teams this year.

He also came into the season 6-14 (.300) in prime time games, and is 2-2 so far this season, with the Monday night game in Arizona, plus others that might be flexed, remaining. Yet his overall record as a QB is 81-93-1 (.466). So he clearly has much worse outcomes in prime time.

I've always liked the guy when he was with the Lions and didn't really want to believe it, but the numbers speak for themselves: he's a choker.

...dave
Evidence is pretty clear

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Five games over .500 .... so, 6-1. 7-2. 8-3. 9-4. 10-5

So he has a losing record against really good teams.... who are in most cases making a late season playoff push.

While leading a team that was most often around 4-6 or 5-8 and most of the guys were probably already planning their off season

I dunno.... I think most guys playing on a bad team probably have a losing record against really good teams

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this page that compiled QB records vs. winning teams through the end of 2020. Obviously, bring on a bad team is a huge factor. But man... Stafford's record is atrocious.

...dave

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If he makes it to 0-17 today, that would be another fairly convincing data point.

Come on Matty. Win today so that LA won't have to hire a Heimlich Maneuver expert to be on the sides lines when you play big games.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in the offseason, the question on Stafford was if he was:

1. A top notch QB who was held back by a bad supporting cast in Detroit

or

2. A talented QB, but one who tends to make some terrible decisions under pressure that cost his team games and thus was a part of the problem in Detroit

11 weeks into the season, i think the answer is "both"

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a judge and jury would be swayed by 8-68.
Maybe.

The assumption being made with this argument is that he "choked" and played poorly in the majority of those games. As if his performance was the overwhelmingly deciding factor. Probably not in the ultimate team sport. Since he has gotten big contracts and it isn't like GMs blindly throw money around.

That said, Stafford to the Rams didn't scare me, even less so now. I guess the Packers win easy today, right?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Carson Palmer is what some people might envision Stafford to be chanting 'if he was just given a chance on a good team' mantra, but Stafford is a highly physically talented but average overall QB... a poor man's Matt Ryan who melts more often than he's 'ice', and the same can be said about him too

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe.

The assumption being made with this argument is that he "choked" and played poorly in the majority of those games. As if his performance was the overwhelmingly deciding factor. Probably not in the ultimate team sport. Since he has gotten big contracts and it isn't like GMs blindly throw money around.

That said, Stafford to the Rams didn't scare me, even less so now. I guess the Packers win easy today, right?
The packers themself have problems all over the place. But Stafford is probably the bigger problem. All said, I never wanted him for us when it was talked on the old AZ Board and here as well and I wasn't hyped for the Rams when they did that trade. For now, Stafford IMHO showed who he is, a stat padder that can't produce wins when the game is on the line against a good team/D or opponent QB.

That said, Kyler is already better. And from the NFC West teams, he and Garappolo are probably at the same level. As is hurt Wilson. If Wilson gets healthy than it may be different. But who knows if Wilson gets ever healthy for Seattle.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe.

There are a hundred Stafford 'brain farts' to make the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave