OT: Matt Stafford and Detroit parting ways

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What if it is a pick + pick for Stafford + pick situation?
My thought would be if a team gave up and 1st and a 3rd for Stafford and a 4th, that would equate to greater value as a 3rd is a higher pick than a 4th. If it was a pick swap or a higher pick, it would be a loss for me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought would be if a team gave up and 1st and a 3rd for Stafford and a 4th, that would equate to greater value as a 3rd is a higher pick than a 4th. If it was a pick swap or a higher pick, it would be a loss for me.

Sounds good. Let's do it.

Good luck!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Articles everywhere that Goff is also being shopped. Very high likelihood that Stafford and Goff are swapped with rams sending their 2nd this year and probably next year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Articles everywhere that Goff is also being shopped. Very high likelihood that Stafford and Goff are swapped with rams sending their 2nd this year and probably next year.

im curious about the "high likelihood" part

if you were Detroit: why would you take on $42mm in guarantees over the next two years for a QB that his original team gave up on?

that Goff contract is crazy. $27mm cap hit next year just on salary alone (i.e. -- no past bonus amortization included)

the Lions only have $1.5mm of cap space today. Trading Stafford would clear $15mm -- but thats not enough to afford Goff. So the Lions would pick up a couple picks, but would have to cut current players to make the cap work.

now, the Rams could restructure Goffs contract to reduce his hit to the Lions going forward, but that would make the Rams cap (currently $35mm over) worse, even after ditching the Goff contract

final wild theory: Maybe Goff willingly redoes his deal to be affordable to the Lions in an effort to go to a team that wants him -- that is why McVay is publicly bagging on Goff -- to make the prospect of staying with the Rams unattractive. That feels unlikely

football karma

Reaction score
im curious about the "high likelihood" part

if you were Detroit: why would you take on $42mm in guarantees over the next two years for a QB that his original team gave up on?

that Goff contract is crazy. $27mm cap hit next year just on salary alone (i.e. -- no past bonus amortization included)

the Lions only have $1.5mm of cap space today. Trading Stafford would clear $15mm -- but thats not enough to afford Goff. So the Lions would pick up a couple picks, but would have to cut current players to make the cap work.

now, the Rams could restructure Goffs contract to reduce his hit to the Lions going forward, but that would make the Rams cap (currently $35mm over) worse, even after ditching the Goff contract

final wild theory: Maybe Goff willingly redoes his deal to be affordable to the Lions in an effort to go to a team that wants him -- that is why McVay is publicly bagging on Goff -- to make the prospect of staying with the Rams unattractive. That feels unlikely

well, so much for all that....

looks like Stafford for Goff and two 1st round picks

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they don’t win, and win a lot, in the next couple of years they’ll be in a terrible spot.

same was said when the traded for Talib, Jalen Ramsay, paid Jared Goff, etc etc and the team keeps winning games, getting to the playoffs. While we haven’t sniffed the playoffs in five years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
same was said when the traded for Talib, Jalen Ramsay, paid Jared Goff, etc etc and the team keeps winning games, getting to the playoffs. While we haven’t sniffed the playoffs in five years.
To be fair, we "sniffed" the playoffs, but got embarrassed by the Rams with half their team to keep it just a whiff.

Our memory of that sniff will be called progress by some.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

do have any idea what would happen on this board and the kind of meltdown we would see if we were in the cap situation they are in plus now not having 3 1st round picks, a 3rd a 4th and a 5th round pick in the future only to flame out in the playoffs and not be considered a serious contender.

you think he see a lot of SK sucks threads now.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:bang:
Mainly because McVay is a much better coach than KK. And their D dominates our interior OL like what kryptonite did to Superman. We won’t beat the Rams until we fix our OL. The Rams could bring Lindley out of retirement & still beat us:bang:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Crazy deal... Goff... three firsts and a third....
If it were any team other than Detroit I would say they won that trade

as far as us??? I think we lost that trade.... even without the future firsts Stamford makes them that much better

football karma

Reaction score
contrarian take here:

the Jeff Fischer ineptitude created a solid base of talent the McVay has maximized, and, have used their 1st rounders to trade for talent (Jalen Ramsey principally).

but the cupboard is now bare on draft picks, and, they will be cutting people rather than adding in FA for the next two offseasons.

Stafford BETTER work, or the Rams will be in trouble.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
contrarian take here:

the Jeff Fischer ineptitude created a solid base of talent the McVay has maximized, and, have used their 1st rounders to trade for talent (Jalen Ramsey principally).

but the cupboard is now bare on draft picks, and, they will be cutting people rather than adding in FA for the next two offseasons.

Stafford BETTER work, or the Rams will be in trouble.
I wouldn’t say “bare.” They’ve got 2nd rounders. They just grabbed akers and Jefferson in second round and they look like keepers. Besides they have a lot of top line talent already.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say “bare.” They’ve got 2nd rounders. They just grabbed akers and Jefferson in second round and they look like keepers. Besides they have a lot of top line talent already.
But the point is, they did now have the problem that they didn't even draft 1 player in half a decade in the first round, at some point, that will haunt them. Just because you miss on 40% of your first round picks, doesn't it make great if you have none. Clearly 2 Starters for the long run would equale this out somehow, the fact that many think that Stafford can't last another half decade from now on, will be a problem. If he lasts and plays way better than Goff, this is a great trade. If Stafford is only marginaly better, this trade will be okaish to problematic and if Ramsey or Stafford go elswhere, retire or decline early, this will be a bad to horrendous trade.

At the end, in two to three years we know the answer to this.

Beside, if Cards get better or 49ers find a good QB this Rams deals could make the difference between going to the SB and fighting for a Playoff birth in the NFC Best...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave