OT: Jon Gruden suing NFL

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If he used an nfl email address or sent emails to peoples nfl email addresses I don’t think he has a privacy right.
He was outside of the NFL during this period. He was using (most likely) either a private email address or an ESPN email address and sending to an NFL address.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hmm. Does he have a right for them to be kept secret? If so, he has a cause. If not, disparate treatment shouldn’t net him any success. I don’t recall we’re these using an NFL email address?
He doesn't have any right to assume these could be kept private IMO.

His bigger issue should revolve around the treatment piece. And the slander/defamation piece. If I was him, I would request the entire treasure trove of emails from the WFT investigation during discovery. It's the only way he would be able to prove that he was targeted in a malicious or tactical way.

He's the wrong guy to piss off though. They have cost him everything (who hires him?) and he has a mountain of money to go after them with.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The complaint is only his emails were selected to be released. If all the emails were released then he has no case.

I think there will be a settlement. No way the nfl will release all their emails. Pretty sure every owner and organization would have some kind of incriminating evidence whether it be racism or sexual harassment, etc.
It will be wiki-nfl-leaks
There’s no right to equal treatment. His only cause of action will be whether they violated a privacy right. Which won’t exist if any nfl or team email was involved.

This is a ploy to make the nfl look bad and maybe force a settlement. Not that the nfl doesn’t generally look bad in many instances already.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was outside of the NFL during this period. He was using (most likely) either a private email address or an ESPN email address and sending to an NFL address.
If sent to nfl email addresses I believe he has no privacy right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

His bigger issue should revolve around the treatment piece. And the slander/defamation piece. If I was him, I would request the entire treasure trove of emails from the WFT investigation during discovery. It's the only way he would be able to prove that he was targeted in a malicious or tactical way.

He's the wrong guy to piss off though. They have cost him everything (who hires him?) and he has a mountain of money to go after them with.
If it’s legal to release the emails you can’t win just because it was done so with malice or “tactically.” Legal is legal.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Truth is a defense to defamation/slander. Releasing his actual emails is neither defamation nor slander.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Do you think there is even 1 white owner or white GM who hasn't behind closed doors used the terms queer, homo, the N word, and many more terms they wouldn't want the world to know about? I really doubt it.

Personal emails are no different than someone recording your private conversations and then leaking them for their own agenda.

What is next in the coming years? Will everyone and anyone have access to our private thoughts before long? What would that tell about the human species, the politicians, clergymen, and all other organizations and groups in power? Do we really want to know the truth about what man is really like deep down?
A lesson in life. Never make excuses for anyone's behavior. He was wrong.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gruden is going to get a sweet settlement.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Work emails are not private. If he was willing to put that crap in a work email I can only imagine what private ones were like.

If one doesn’t want to be exposed for being a racist don’t act like one.

No sympathy for gruden.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to be able to buy gas for my truck, doesn't mean I have to like Exxon. I like football, doesn't mean I have to like the NFL... Which I don't. I wouldn't trust any of them with something that mattered to me.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good! Im not excusing what Gruden said...but that's all it was...things that were said. The guy never DID anything to anyone, and that matters to me. I also thought from Day 1, that the NFL was ecstatic when they had a scapegoat...who is a known loudmouth...to take 99% of the heat off of the horrible things the WFT was shown to be doing.

Just drag Gruden's name through the mud and act like everything else was secondary...when in reality the major headlines should have been about the WFT and what the NFL has been allowing to go on there for years...and Gruden's emails should have been the secondary part.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruh roh Scooby!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media