OT: Jerry Sloan to resign

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow. Very strange timing. Maybe he or the front office wanted a trade the other didn't like?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I recently relocated to SLC and the local news organizations here are running rampant with the theory that he just couldn't take more run ins with Deron Williams. The beat writers avoided the question during the press conference, because they all agree that that was the reasoning. Apparently, last night they again butted heads.

I have also had a healthy respect for Jerry Sloan. It will be strange not seeing him coach the Jazz.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sloan has had spats with players before. Ric Bucher is reporting that he wanted to suspend Williams and management wouldn't do it. I'm guessing he's resigning because he believes he feels he no longer has the full support of management.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems I read somewhere that Sloan was signing an extension, I believe for one year. His immediate resignation is a complete surprise.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I would guess that the longest-tenured coach in the NBA is now Phil Jackson. How about the other major U. S. sports?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems it came down to Sloan or Deron Williams and the Jazz chose Williams. The NBA has always been a players league but IMO the players have stepped over the line. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners address this issue in the CBA. It appears this is just an escalation of the situation where the Heat stars chose to join hands.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems it came down to Sloan or Deron Williams and the Jazz chose Williams. The NBA has always been a players league but IMO the players have stepped over the line. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners address this issue in the CBA. It appears this is just an escalation of the situation where the Heat stars chose to join hands.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. What exactly are you expecting in this area?

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm following you here. What exactly are you expecting in this area?

Steve

As an example, if I were a part of the majority of owners I might want to look at a rule that already applies to owners but not the players... tampering. The owners are severely penalized for tampering, why not the players. It would at least cause a player to think twice about trying to lure another player to a given team. Sure it would be hard to enforce but it is something worth exploring.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an example, if I were a part of the majority of owners I might want to look at a rule that already applies to owners but not the players... tampering. The owners are severely penalized for tampering, why not the players. It would at least cause a player to think twice about trying to lure another player to a given team. Sure it would be hard to enforce but it is something worth exploring.

I see, so you weren't talking about anything specific to the Deron Williams situation? Or is there a connection I'm missing?

I think the players are already restricted from tampering it's just that a lot more latitude as to what constitutes tampering has to be given to the players. I think closing up some of the salary cap loopholes will accomplish what the league needs in order to keep the Miami situation from playing out in the future.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Each team needs a franchise tag. Let them use it once every 3 or 4 years or so.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I don't know if he'd want the transition at 68, but I think Sloan could be a heck of a college coach. In a lot of ways it makes more sense with regard to his focus on fundamentals and team basketball.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I would guess that the longest-tenured coach in the NBA is now Phil Jackson. How about the other major U. S. sports?

NFL it used to be Jeff Fisher until he was fired. Now it is Andy Reid from Philadelphia.

MLB Tony LaRussa

NHL Lindy Ruff

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, so you weren't talking about anything specific to the Deron Williams situation? Or is there a connection I'm missing?

I think the players are already restricted from tampering it's just that a lot more latitude as to what constitutes tampering has to be given to the players. I think closing up some of the salary cap loopholes will accomplish what the league needs in order to keep the Miami situation from playing out in the future.

Steve

I'm sorry I was not being player specific. When ownership sides with a star player the coach goes. It seems this is almost always the outcome. There is not much a coach can do. I agree closing up some of the salary cap loopholes may help.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each team needs a franchise tag. Let them use it once every 3 or 4 years or so.

This is an idea well worth considering although I doubt if it will fly with the players.