OT: James Harden trade details

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Harden trade: Rockets send All-Star to Nets in four-team deal involving Cavaliers and Pacers, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...al-involving-cavaliers-and-pacers-per-report/

James Harden is getting the trade he wanted. The Houston Rockets are sending their former MVP to the Brooklyn Nets in a massive blockbuster deal that includes four teams and multiple star players, according to reports from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and The Athletic's Shams Charania.

The Rockets will receive four first-round picks and four-pick swaps, all unprotected. Those picks will come from Brooklyn in 2022, 2024 and 2026 along with Milwaukee in 2022 (previously owned by Cleveland), and the swaps will come from Brooklyn in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027. They will also receive Rodions Kurucs and Dante Exum. Additionally, Caris LeVert will be sent to the Indiana Pacers, who will send Victor Oladipo to the Rockets. Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince will go to Cleveland in the deal.

Harden has been pushing for a trade to the Nets, specifically, since initially requesting a trade during the offseason. He played with Kevin Durant with the Oklahoma City Thunder for the first three seasons of his career, and now that the two of them have reunited, Brooklyn should have the NBA's best offense by far.

Considering how much they just gave up, though, the Nets still have work to do if they plan to build an all-around contender. After a hot start defensively, the Nets have given up 113.2 points per 100 possessions in their past eight games, ranking 25th in the league in that span. Harden is not known for his defense, and neither are most of the role players that remain in place. Still, the Harden-Durant pairing with a practically limitless supply of shooting should give Brooklyn quite a bit of leeway as they are likely to have the NBA's best offense.

That should only be confirmed when Kyrie Irving returns, but the fringe benefit of this deal for Brooklyn is that Harden provides a measure of insurance against either injury or personal absence on Irving's part. The Nets have two offensive superstars regardless of what happens with Irving now, and in all likelihood, will enter the playoffs with three of them.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better details:

Nets agree to acquire James Harden in blockbuster trade with Rockets

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...rade-with-rockets/ar-BB1cJiCj?ocid=uxbndlbing

The Nets will reportedly send Rodion Kurucs, first-round picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026 and swaps in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 to Houston. Brooklyn will also reportedly send center Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince to the Cleveland Cavaliers, who will send Dante Exum and a 2022 first-round pick to the Rockets.

The Rockets, meanwhile, will reportedly reroute LeVert to the Indiana Pacers for Victor Oladipo. ESPN.com first reported the framework of the Nets deal, while The Athletic first reported Indiana’s involvement.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
How is this going to work ... are they going to use 3 balls on offense?

Kyrie bristled at having to share the ball with LBJ, how is this going to be any better with Harden?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could be a train wreck. Could be the champs never know. Kyrie kinda being a flake not showing up for games and goin to parties etc. Maybe hes over the Nets.

How about CP3 for Kyrie lol

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Could be a train wreck. Could be the champs never know. Kyrie kinda being a flake not showing up for games and goin to parties etc. Maybe hes over the Nets.

How about CP3 for Kyrie lol
You want to trade a guy who shows up for work, for one who doesn't?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want to trade a guy who shows up for work, for one who doesn't?

Also one is a crazy egomaniac vs a guy who is all about the team.

I would not take Irving for free - even if he cost no cap room.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarrett Allen being a throw in, basically. I thought he was the second best center in the NBA? I guess no one to!d Brooklyn or Houston he was that good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also one is a crazy egomaniac vs a guy who is all about the team.

I would not take Irving for free - even if he cost no cap room.

EDIT: I missed the point here in my original post but yeah, I agree - no Irving, no matter what.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay. I can figure out who the "crazy egomaniac" is but I have no clue who you're talking about being "all about the team". By context you must be talking about Harden but I've never once heard him described that way - quite the opposite.
Kyrie = ego
Paul = team

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This is going to be a mess. They will probably do okay in the regular season, but that team chemistry will be a disaster.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could easily be Garnett / Pierce style move after a year or two, one that sets the franchise back a decade

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Dante Exum and Rodions Kurucs going to the Rockets were pieces to make the trade work.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well guess we will see what kind of coach nash is see if he can manage all those superstars on same team

Hope nash succeeds as a coach he is my all time sun!! Along with Barkley

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think Harden and KD are going to be great together. Kyrie is the wildcard, but I’m expecting him to run the 2nd unit more so. Nets will be stupid dangerous if the big 3 play remotely unselfish.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
theoretically they should go all the way. i don't recall 3 superstars of their caliber, still in their prime playing together. It doesn't matter much who the rest of the crew is --just about any NBA players should be able to perform their rolls well with defenses trying to contend with those 3.

i don't know anything about their own defense though. and theoretically only one player can shoot at a time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
theoretically they should go all the way. i don't recall 3 superstars of their caliber, still in their prime playing together. It doesn't matter much who the rest of the crew is --just about any NBA players should be able to perform their rolls well with defenses trying to contend with those 3.

i don't know anything about their own defense though. and theoretically only one player can shoot at a time.

I disagree. Miami and Golden State have both featured far better rosters and that is just in the last decade.

As other have mentioned... there is only 1 ball. I think this that roster is more likely to end in catastrophe than glory. Kyrie is a toxic nut case who doesn't seem to care all that much and doesn't play defense and has constantly been injured, Harden is toxic... also doesn't play defense, Durant... I am not going to call him toxic but he certainly is a big ol bitch. Their depth just got crapped on, their defense was already sketchy and they traded some of their best defenders.

My guess is that they play chummy for most of the year, get waxed by some team with a more balanced roster in the playoffs, then things go full soap opera and by this time next year people are talking about which one of them needs to be traded.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like Dante Exum and Rodions Kurucs going to the Rockets were pieces to make the trade work.

What?

Huh?

Really?

For salary reasons or something?

To be honest, I thought Exum had played his way out of the league and I've never even heard of this other dude. The Rockets GM was playing hard ball to make sure he locked up some below replacement level players?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
indeed those 3 have to stay healthy and, together, their minds are even more likely to fail then their bodies

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What?

Huh?

Really?

For salary reasons or something?

To be honest, I thought Exum had played his way out of the league and I've never even heard of this other dude. The Rockets GM was playing hard ball to make sure he locked up some below replacement level players?

Exum is out due to injury for 1-2 months. He is on an expiring contract.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Miami and Golden State have both featured far better rosters and that is just in the last decade.

As other have mentioned... there is only 1 ball. I think this that roster is more likely to end in catastrophe than glory. Kyrie is a toxic nut case who doesn't seem to care all that much and doesn't play defense and has constantly been injured, Harden is toxic... also doesn't play defense, Durant... I am not going to call him toxic but he certainly is a big ol bitch. Their depth just got crapped on, their defense was already sketchy and they traded some of their best defenders.

My guess is that they play chummy for most of the year, get waxed by some team with a more balanced roster in the playoffs, then things go full soap opera and by this time next year people are talking about which one of them needs to be traded.

A guy on the UCLA board I read made the point that they're likely only on the court together 20 to 25 percent of the time. But if they do the rotations right they will almost always have 2 of the 3 on the court(assuming Kyrie comes back). So the scoring ability for 2 guys always is pretty unique.

Durant with the Warriors was a much better defender, so far I don't see it with the nets but he may not be 100% healthy yet. Kyrie and Harden don't play D as you said.

As a Warrior fan my hope is that they decide they need to change something else and try to move Joe Harris. Harris is actually the perfect player for them plays defense, great shooter, team guy, but I'm hoping they don't see that and then hopefully the Warriors get involved he'd be the perfect guy to fit in with the Warriors IMO.

Sucker them into an Oubre for harris deal.

I just feel like Kyrie is at a crossroads in his career, he can either go Dennis Rodman and be a crazy guy who plays, or he can go off the rails and ruin his career. He has to be careful. If he's legitimately sitting out over what happened at the Capitol and what it says about treatment of whites vs blacks I can support that, but it can't go on for too long, his team is going to need him eventually.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy on the UCLA board I read made the point that they're likely only on the court together 20 to 25 percent of the time. But if they do the rotations right they will almost always have 2 of the 3 on the court(assuming Kyrie comes back). So the scoring ability for 2 guys always is pretty unique.

Durant with the Warriors was a much better defender, so far I don't see it with the nets but he may not be 100% healthy yet. Kyrie and Harden don't play D as you said.

As a Warrior fan my hope is that they decide they need to change something else and try to move Joe Harris. Harris is actually the perfect player for them plays defense, great shooter, team guy, but I'm hoping they don't see that and then hopefully the Warriors get involved he'd be the perfect guy to fit in with the Warriors IMO.

Sucker them into an Oubre for harris deal.

I just feel like Kyrie is at a crossroads in his career, he can either go Dennis Rodman and be a crazy guy who plays, or he can go off the rails and ruin his career. He has to be careful. If he's legitimately sitting out over what happened at the Capitol and what it says about treatment of whites vs blacks I can support that, but it can't go on for too long, his team is going to need him eventually.

I was listening to Adrian Wojnarowski yesterday on video and at the end, after discussing the three players (Durant, Irving and Harden), he said something to the effect that the Nets can count on Durant and Harden going forward. He was not excluding Kyrie, the Nets hope he will buy-in, but it sounded like those were the two base players because Harden wants to be there.

If anyone goes, I think it's Irving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media