OT-ish: Cards Looking for a New Beat Writer

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
U are enough young for that but maybe your admiration for Keim wont help u to get the job

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Thanks posters. I appreciate the emails but I’m retired. I’ve turned down 2 writing jobs within the last year and noting would be tempting enough to make me power up my keyboard. Posts on here are the most I can offer. I do appreciate your thoughts that my stuff is worth reading.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Watch Walter get this job....

he’s been called by name/ had his articles cited on 98.7...

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When the old version of this site was tied to Rivals I was paid to write for it. It was a ton of work, especially in season. I’d write a preview of each game. Then a recap post game. Mid-week you’d need to constantly find topics of interest to hold your audience. I did an elaborate draft overview, rating hundreds of prospects. I could cheat and use some of my scouting as long as I was brief. I did mock drafts, graded draft results for teams and graded the various mocks. We were linked to tons of sites, but you had to work to get those links. I’d go to regular games, bowls and all star games. It was fun and the press access was cool. I often got on the field, locker room access and got to ask questions at post game press conferences. It was enjoyable for a few years, but it was a ton of work. You were controlled by deadlines. Game related articles were especially demanding. My non-football quality of life suffered.

I know this all football sounds great, but unless you’re simultaneous writing books, like my friend, Larry Guest, you can’t get wealthy covering sports. This is a tough, tiring business. The offers I get are flattering, but not worth giving up the freedom I have. It much more fun just tossing out occasional thought on this forum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave