OT-Guess The Bengals Like Mediocrity

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis. 15 seasons as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. 7 winning seasons, 5 losing seasons, 3 .500 seasons. 7 playoff appearances, zero wins. He just signed a 2 year extension. I mean, it's obvious he's taken the franchise as far as HE can. I mean, what more do they think he can do?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very strange. All I had been hearing was he was out and may get booted to a front office job.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As much as we love Arians, he only had one playoff victory in 5 years. Kinda nice to see a coach stick for a long time.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Jay Gruden left Marvin got worse. Mike Brown is cheap and clueless. Poor state of Ohio.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Loyal to him for what? Eternal underachieving and being average???
He is the best coach in Bengals history, sad to say.

I was listening to NFL Radio this morning and I didn't realize the Bengals still had so many terrible things about the organization. Apparently they practice in an indoor gymnasium at the university of Cincinnati when it rains. I forgot the other strange facts that were kind of tied into the Brown family but it was definitely weird.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I was listening to NFL Radio this morning and I didn't realize the Bengals still had so many terrible things about the organization. Apparently they practice in an indoor gymnasium at the university of Cincinnati when it rains. I forgot the other strange facts that were kind of tied into the Brown family but it was definitely weird.
Lewis may have the most wins in Bengals history, but Paul Brown is the best-ever Bengals coach. There’s no comparison. Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche were better as well (each got the Bengals to a SB).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

So is Jeff Fisher for the Titans/Oilers.

Same mediocre coach, different team, same mediocre results. Some teams just don’t get it imo.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And this is why I think Carson is a hall of Fame player. Look at the numbers he put up while playing for two of the worst franchises in NFL history.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I keep saying if Lewis is gone they go back to being the Bungles and the laughing stock of the NFL (hard to take that from the Browns, but I digress). Keeping Lewis at least brings competitiveness and some form of respect.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So is Jeff Fisher for the Titans/Oilers.

Same mediocre coach, different team, same mediocre results. Some teams just don’t get it imo.
Fisher at least led the Titans to the Super Bowl and had the distinction of leading the Titans back to the playoffs the following year and was the last Super Bowl losing team to do so until us in 2009. While it's fair to knock Fisher for his Rams tenure, to imply that a team that had three 13 win seasons along with a 12, 11, and 10 win seasons as mediocre, I'll take that level of mediocrity all day. Oh, and keep in mind he won 10 and 13 games with Vince Young and Kerry Collins as his QB.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well not as loyal as the browns who I guess just want to keep losing.... how could any team keep a coach that goes what 1 and 31 or something...

I feel for browns fans if u go on a browns forum it's kind of sad cause all their fans talk about is how to win games again...

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As hard as it is for me to admit, The resume he has created for the Bengals, If done here... would have most likely resulted in far less domestic calls on Sunday for Cardinal fans.... Sure, we hit a few higher peaks.

But it can (and has been) a lot worse.