OT: Fox Sports Arizona is going away.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's been talked about for awhile but it looks like the Fox acquisition by Disney is going to happen with the shareholders giving approval today. To get the deal to go through, the DOJ told Fox that they would have to sell off their 22 regional sports networks so they wouldn't be owned by ESPN. That would include Fox Sports Arizona. So the question is, who is going to buy them? Will someone come in and buy them all or will there be different buyers based on region? Current contracts should remain in place, so we probably won't see any major changes other than branding right away but depending on who the buyer is, who knows what we may see in the future.

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/the-orphanage-of-the-fox-sports-rsns.html

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You're going to see more cable providers buy these channels. We're having that problem here in L.A. with Time Warner. They hold exclusive rights to Dodger games and won't give access to other providers. This has gone on for a few years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it will go back to the way it used to be. It will be networks IMO that will buy regional coverage or local providers as TJ said. My guess it will be both.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it will go back to the way it used to be. It will be networks IMO that will buy regional coverage or local providers as TJ said. My guess it will be both.

I wish. Being a sports fan with leisure time in the 90's was great. With Directv I could watch any regional sports network and they were truly regional at the time. Pretty much every college basketball and football game aired on their regional network and included pre and post game shows that were also fully regional. And then Fox bought them all up and turned them into "sorta" regionals.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't Cox used to own the channel that became Fox Sports Arizona? Anyone else remember when Suns playoff games were on pay per view then?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Cox used to own the channel that became Fox Sports Arizona? Anyone else remember when Suns playoff games were on pay per view then?

I think there was more than one iteration of ASPN (arizona sports programming network) but yes, Cox owned them at one time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember they tried to push people towards pay per view and it didn't work out well. People simply stopped watching. I loved when the games were all on UPN (I think before that it was just the local channel 45 but I don't recall). Then FOX Sports starting simulcasting with their own crew and eventually the UPN games went away.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
You're going to see more cable providers buy these channels. We're having that problem here in L.A. with Time Warner. They hold exclusive rights to Dodger games and won't give access to other providers. This has gone on for a few years.

Yep. In the Bay Area, Comcast owned the local sports channels which broadcast the Giants, A’s, Warriors, Kings, and Sharks. They would let other providers access the channels but every once in a while there would be disputes and they would pull the channels from the providers. After Comcast bought NBC, they renamed the channels to NBC Sports Bay Area.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
At least one season all the Dbacks games were over the air on channel 3 and the Suns used to be on channel 45. I wouldn't need to pay for any service if the Suns and Dbacks were over the air again.

Just wishful thinking.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The NFL broadcasts most of their games on "free" tv why can't baseball and basketball do the same?

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember they tried to push people towards pay per view and it didn't work out well. People simply stopped watching. I loved when the games were all on UPN (I think before that it was just the local channel 45 but I don't recall). Then FOX Sports starting simulcasting with their own crew and eventually the UPN games went away.

The away games were primarily on Channel45/UPN and the home games were on the local cable sports channel. Then Fox offered up a bunch of money for all of them. That's where we are today. I'm wondering if whoever takes over is going to be able to offer the same amount of money. I don't see why they couldn't but we'll have to see when the next contracts come up.

Shhhh but we had one of those descrambler boxes back in the day so everyone just came over to watch the games with my roommates and myself. Ended up having to put it on two TV's because we ran out of room.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
At least one season all the Dbacks games were over the air on channel 3 and the Suns used to be on channel 45. I wouldn't need to pay for any service if the Suns and Dbacks were over the air again.

Just wishful thinking.

I wish we could just subscribe to a team.

Instead of buying the MLB package to get all the teams except your local one, you could subscribe to only your local team.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is interesting for the dbacks too. 3TV used to show the games way back in the day, i could see that happening again. but if directTV or Cox gets exclusivity to suns/dbacks games that would be a travesty

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That was Jerry Colangelo putting the games on PPV and he even says it's one of the biggest mistakes he made.

It's stupid right now. I work in the bay and I called and said hey I want fox sports arizona on my package so I could watch the Suns snd they said Nope! I had to get league pass

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is my situation...I've had DirecTV for years and had "Ultimate" package where I get everything almost ...all movie channels and was paying $190 a month . Recently I didnt want all the movie channels (just wanted HBO) so I'm saving $70 a month now . But get this...The only I can watch Suns (and ESPN) is to have the Ultimate package with all the movie channels . They dont offer just a sports package !! So when the season starts I'm going to sign up for Sling tv for $25 a month and watch Suns and espn.

Directv is such a ripoff...

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is my situation...I've had DirecTV for years and had "Ultimate" package where I get everything almost ...all movie channels and was paying $190 a month . Recently I didnt want all the movie channels (just wanted HBO) so I'm saving $70 a month now . But get this...The only I can watch Suns (and ESPN) is to have the Ultimate package with all the movie channels . They dont offer just a sports package !! So when the season starts I'm going to sign up for Sling tv for $25 a month and watch Suns and espn.

I have direct tv....and this might be the route I go.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the heads up and opinions. Having lived in Phoenix for over 40 years, I have been spoiled by Fox Sports Arizona.

I bundle with Cox, which takes a chunk out of my Soc Sec income to see the Suns, D-backs and some Mercury TV games.

Since I first heard that Dodgers games were removed from the level of L.A. cable that I have, I've been hoping it wouldn't happen here.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Pay an extra $10 on top of that with Sling and you get NFL Network, Red Zone and all the PAC 12 networks.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
last year, i did the League Pass free trial week. the Suns played 3 times. all 3 games were blacked out

i did SlingTV for 2 months and dropped it once the Suns went into deep tank

for $25 SlingTV gives you Suns' games with a decent lineup of other channels
but Netflix covers my needs and i prefer to kick the channel surfing habit
so i'm hoping another option opens up

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
last year, i did the League Pass free trial week. the Suns played 3 times. all 3 games were blacked out

i did SlingTV for 2 months and dropped it once the Suns went into deep tank

for $25 SlingTV gives you Suns' games with a decent lineup of other channels
but Netflix covers my needs and i prefer to kick the channel surfing habit
so i'm hoping another option opens up
Does Sling give you ALL the Suns games? Which Sling package?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sling Blue has all the Suns games broadcasted by Fox Sports (select markets - check your zip) and TNT and you get a free Roku Express with a 2 month signup.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember reading something about Fox possibly buying back all of the sports channels to keep them with what's leftover after the Disney merger. When Fox sold to Disney they didn't sell everything, there are still some things that they own like their News networks and they planned on only being News and Sports after the Disney acquisition. Not sure if that will still be the plan or not but I really hope that's how this plays out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I remember reading something about Fox possibly buying back all of the sports channels to keep them with what's leftover after the Disney merger. When Fox sold to Disney they didn't sell everything, there are still some things that they own like their News networks and they planned on only being News and Sports after the Disney acquisition. Not sure if that will still be the plan or not but I really hope that's how this plays out.
Tv networks were NOT part of the deal because the FCC would not approve it since Disney already has ESPN and ABC. So Fox and the sports channels will either remain with Fox or end up getting sold off.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tv networks were NOT part of the deal because the FCC would not approve it since Disney already has ESPN and ABC. So Fox and the sports channels will either remain with Fox or end up getting sold off.

Here is a breakdown of what Disney is buying and what Fox is keeping:

What Disney gets
  • The 20th Century Fox studio business. The studio produces 36 current TV series ranging from “Modern Family” to “The X-Files” to “This Is Us” to “The Simpsons,” and its film business includes the “X-Men” franchise, James Cameron’s “Avatar” sequels and specialty divisions Fox Searchlght and Fox 2000. Disney will also own the extensive TV and movie libraries from the studio.
  • Cable channels FX, FXX, FXM and National Geographic.
  • 22 regional sports networks that have local telecast rights to numerous Major League Baseball, NBA and NHL franchises.
  • Fox’s 30 percent stake in Hulu, which will give Disney majority control over the streaming service. Comcast (30 percent) and Time Warner (10 percent) are minority owners.
  • Stakes in international TV providers Sky (U.K.) and Star (India).
What Fox keeps
  • The FOX broadcast network. Federal regulations prohibit one company from outright ownership of more than one broadcast network; Disney already owns ABC.
  • 28 owned-and-operated local TV stations.
  • Cable channels Fox News, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Fox Business and the Big Ten Network.
  • The 20th Century Fox studio lot in Los Angeles.

If Fox wanted to keep the RSN's then they would have just pulled them back. Instead Disney is buying them as part of the deal but then has to sell them within 90 days of the deal closing.
I don't know if we will see major changes regarding the broadcasting of the Suns, D'backs and Coyotes, other than rebranding the channel they are on, as the current contracts will probably go with the sale and the D'backs contract runs to 2030. Not sure the length of the Suns and Coyotes contracts. The announcers are employed by the teams rather than the broadcaster so probably no changes their either.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson