OT: Dak turns down $30 mm wants $40 mm

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Sheesh if Murray lights it up then after his rookie contract he's gonna want around $50-60 mil a year

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That only weakens the opinion not strengthens it. Anyone with a calculator can tell you he isn't taking less than the franchise tag sign a long term extension at 26.

Just make 32 million a year and be a 29 year old free agent
But they can tag him for one year at 24m then sign him next year

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why would Jerry even offer 30 mill? If he even actually did that. I'm guessing it may have been 30mill with a lot of incentives to hit, like win the SB, to get to that number.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh if Murray lights it up then after his rookie contract he's gonna want around $50-60 mil a year

Well we can use the same math to get to the starting point on this. Basically Kirk Cousins set the blueprint for QB negotiations. He made more money on the tag and still got what he wanted in free agency.

In 5 years the QB tag has gone up 6.2 million. So it will be $31,005. Then $37,206, then $53,576 So average salary of $40,595 would be the floor of the contract

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they can tag him for one year at 24m then sign him next year

Except he will just play out the 3 years on the tag like Cousins did. So tagging him and then resigning is worse for them.

They will end up paying even a higher amount or just cut bait and be left with no QB and no high draft pick to replace him.

Their choices are:

Tag for up to 3 years and sell the farm to get a rookie

Tag for 3 years and then be the Redskins

Pay the kid over the 3 year tag average and have your QB in place long term

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dak should call Kapernick and ask about the longevity of the NFL. If you can get the deal....take all you can in upfront guarantees.
He doesn't know that NFL O lines don't all look like Dallas....full of All Pro's
2 years of bad play and he'll be a career backup
My advice....take the money NOW

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easier to find a competent RB than QB. If Dallas doesn’t pay him that someone will.

At this point I’d pay Dak and let Zeke walk. Hopefully Jerruh screws it up.

Nobody’s paying him 40 million a year

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If there was ever a case study on how much an average QB would get on the free market, Prescott is it. He's not worth anywhere near $30 million, so it'd be interesting how much of a market he'd have if other teams would get involved. What teams would get involved? Tennessee? Cincinnati?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get the egos of these players. It comes down to where they just want to say “ I’m the highest paid player”.

I’m all for players for getting paid but look no further than Brady and Larry the Legend.

You would think a qb would take a little less to bolster their offensive line. Bad oline will affect his performance.....except for Kyler because, well, he’s Kyler. :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is why he is claiming that. QB Franchise Tag this year is $24,865. The second year is 120% of that of $29,838. Then it goes to 144% or $42,966.72

So the Cowboys at minimum are looking at a 3 year extension of $97,669 or an average salary of $32,556

Thus, there is zero way that Dak accepts 30 million when he can make more than that just playing on the franchise tag.

The Cowboys are going to want more than 3 years so likely adding $2-3 million more for each additional year.

My guess is it will be a 5 year deal at about $38 million or he just plays out on the tag

Wait a sec... Isn't the Franchise Tag just a one year deal? I get that Cousins rolled the dice and it panned out for him, but, didn't he, and wouldn't Dak risk injury and potentially take himself out of anything guaranteed beyond the one-year Franchise Tag?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait a sec... Isn't the Franchise Tag just a one year deal? I get that Cousins rolled the dice and it panned out for him, but, didn't he, and wouldn't Dak risk injury and potentially take himself out of anything guaranteed beyond the one-year Franchise Tag?

You can franchise someone up to 3 times and it becomes increasingly more punitive. Cousins is the only person to go all three years because of the value of his position as a QB

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the injury risk just isn't that relative since the money is so large anyway. The franchise tag is a guaranteed probably 28 - 29 million next year. Why would you remotely settle for a longer commitment at the floor of your salary?

And he 100% has all the leverage here. They have nothing to replace him and they won't have a high draft pick to grab a rookie so he is going to get franchised and one way or another he is making more than 30 million a year

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You can franchise someone up to 3 times and it becomes increasingly more punitive. Cousins is the only person to go all three years because of the value of his position as a QB

Right. But each time you tag a player, it’s just for one year. So, say Dak and the Cowgirlz agree to a tag in 2020, and Dak suffers a major injury at some point in the season, why would the Cowgirlz tag him again in 2021??

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Well, they're paying Wentz $32 million a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure this is exactly why Dak’s agent wants more than $30 million. Wentz and Dak were in the same draft and Dak is a year younger than Wentz.

Dak has only made $3 million in 3 seasons in the NFL. Wentz made $22.5 million in his first 3 seasons.

Here are their stats.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Dak has more total touchdowns, a better completion %, less interceptions, and a higher Yards per attempt. Plus he’s never missed a game despite getting sacked more.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Right. But each time you tag a player, it’s just for one year. So, say Dak and the Cowgirlz agree to a tag in 2020, and Dak suffers a major injury at some point in the season, why would the Cowgirlz tag him again in 2021??
I think Chris' point is that the gamble is worth it to Dak. If he's franchised and God forbid get injured, the $29m he was paid is more than enough to set him up for life. However, if he doesn't get hurt or even plays competently (like Cousins) he will either get tagged again or hit the open market and be able to dictate his own terms.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Chris' point is that the gamble is worth it to Dak. If he's franchised and God forbid get injured, the $29m he was paid is more than enough to set him up for life. However, if he doesn't get hurt or even plays competently (like Cousins) he will either get tagged again or hit the open market and be able to dictate his own terms.

But it’s being reported that the Cowgirlz have already made him an offer of at least $30 million a year (don’t know for how many years and don’t know the exact amount of guaranteed money - but, I think it’d be safe to assume the guaranteed money would be more than $29 million). It makes little sense for Dak to accept a franchise tag and risk getting “paid” for just one year, when he already has an offer from Dallas that is likely guaranteeing more than the tag would pay...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose