OT: Chris Paul trade thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Dan H

Dan H Registered User

What about Paul for Andrew Wiggins for the base of a deal?

2. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I know Minnesota really wants to move Wiggins but they can't want it that bad, can they? Chris Paul is owed roughly 40M per for 3 years and Wiggins is owed 30M per for 4 years. Paul is still functional but clearly aging before our eyes whereas Wiggins is still playing like he's new to the game. It's a tough call.

I think a nearly even swap of the two players would make the Wolves very happy in the short run (this season until Paul's inevitable injury) but screw them over financially in the long run. Wiggins, if he's not moved now, probably retains or increases his trade value whereas Chris is going to get harder to trade every day until he approaches expiring contract territory.

IMO it would be a clear win for OKC though as they should be able to either get him back on track or run enough of the offense through him so as to make it look like he's back on the path for superstardom.

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if either the Wolves or Bucks eventually make a move for CP3. Assuming health, he might be able to have a little bit of Nash-like impact on a very talented Wolves team that just seems like it has no captain steering the boat. And I also think he could be the missing piece to that Bucks team.

4. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

But 3 vs 4. Wiggins MIGHT become a positive at some point, but right now a diminished Paul is still better than Wiggins.

Two years of Paul then trade him.

5. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

That's pretty much what I said except moving him in 2 years might be very costly.

6. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Moving Paul? I think a team that's in a total rebuild that's stuck with a few toxic contracts that are longer might take him.