OT: Chicago Bears trading the #1 overall pick

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what QB hungry team is trading up. That would be the only reason to trade up.

Increases chances of Anderson being there, or another QB hungry team coveting the #3 spot

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this is true, it’s dumb to put out now imo.

They are going to do an actual trade soon I'm sure. Probably involving players. The value already set pretty much, #3 not yet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still blows my mind that the Texans GM made the call to lose the #1 pick and then fired his coach over it.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It gives other teams information. It isn't 0 downside.
Exactly. In my eyes, it takes one bullet out of his proverbial gun. Say there are five qb hungry teams, three find their guy in free agency and the other two each like two guys. Then they look to Houston and az because they know Chicago won’t take either guy.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If the Bears chose to make this public it could mean they already have an acceptable offer on the table and are seeing if they can do any better - now - instead of sitting on their hands and waiting until the last moment

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It gives other teams information. It isn't 0 downside.
???

Information that they are prepared to trade the pick, thus launching the auction.

QB-hungry teams don't know if they can sign FA QB 'x' or ''y', and the Bears are saying there's a short window to secure a sure thing through the draft.

Downside: '0' ad infinitum.

Whether they declare their support for Fields now or closer to the draft, it still comes down to them having to show their cards.

There's no point in being too cute by half when it makes no difference in the end.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with announcing this assuming they've already come to a rough accord with the teams interested in trading up. This basically says "bidding is open and we're moving quick." And if any teams have been dragging their feet saying "well, we want to get _______ in the building for a workout before we talk to the Bears" now needs to pick up that phone and get calling.

I think it places the urgency on the other teams.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still blows my mind that the Texans GM made the call to lose the #1 pick and then fired his coach over it.
Do you have a link to that? I saw a story that said they had planned to fire Lovie and it leaked to him. That that’s why he made the decision he made in game. A one last f you to the FO. Is that fake news?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that? I saw a story that said they had planned to fire Lovie and it leaked to him. That that’s why he made the decision he made in game. A one last f you to the FO. Is that fake news?
I think pretty much everyone knew Lovie was getting canned well ahead of that game.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I quoted it several times back when it happened. Nick Caserio apparently has a line to the coach and he decides all high leverage situations like when to go for it on 4th down, when to go for 2, ect.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quoted it several times back when it happened. Nick Caserio apparently has a line to the coach and he decides all high leverage situations like when to go for it on 4th down, when to go for 2, ect.
Wait what

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I think we're missing the most important part of this story...the Bears are sticking with Justin Fields!!?? Lol

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we're missing the most important part of this story...the Bears are sticking with Justin Fields!!?? Lol
Fields hasn't been terrible, but they have one of the worst rosters in the league and he's on a rookie contract. They can't spend a premium on another QB that isn't "generational" nor can they take the best defensive player in the draft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave