OT: CB Bucknor. Is he the worst umpire in Major League history?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was behind the plate for the Braves and Nats tonight. It looked like the game was over due to a strikeout but after everyone left the field and post game shows started, he called everyone back saying it was a foul ball. I have no idea what he was looking at.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That was after these sort of ball and strike calls. I don't see how any sort of professional umpire can make some of these calls.

I apologize to anyone reading this on mobile. Posting pictures from a twitter bot that shows where the pitch was located and then how many umpires have made the same call in the past.

That last one is mind boggling. Literally more than a foot away from the strike zone and he calls it a strike.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. Bucknor is terrible.

For me, the worst is Angel Hernandez. He's an embarrassment to Professional Baseball.

Bob Davidson has always been up there on my list as well. The pissin contest over a check swing he got into with Miggy and Gibson a few years back was one of the worst things I've seen a Major League umpire do.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Man there have been some terrible strike zones in the last two D-Backs games as well. Brenly was routinely calling out the hp ump.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He was behind the plate for the Braves and Nats tonight. It looked like the game was over due to a strikeout but after everyone left the field and post game shows started, he called everyone back saying it was a foul ball. I have no idea what he was looking at.

That was after these sort of ball and strike calls. I don't see how any sort of professional umpire can make some of these calls.

I apologize to anyone reading this on mobile. Posting pictures from a twitter bot that shows where the pitch was located and then how many umpires have made the same call in the past.

That last one is mind boggling. Literally more than a foot away from the strike zone and he calls it a strike.

I'd like to see the video of each of those really.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd like to see the video of each of those really.

I have since found out that those automated strike zone report things can sometimes get glitched and report the incorrect pitch. (There's one for every team by the way.) So while Bucknor was bad last night, it wasn't as bad as those calls made him look.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Automated strike zone cant come soon enough. I mean as much as I love the "charm" of a egotistical nobody out there getting into pissing matches with professional athletes and having a different strike zone for the home and away pitchers, and different strike zones for superstars...

Yeah, ther's NO WAY a computer will get it wrong as much as these guys do.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Automated strike zone cant come soon enough. I mean as much as I love the "charm" of a egotistical nobody out there getting into pissing matches with professional athletes and having a different strike zone for the home and away pitchers, and different strike zones for superstars...

Yeah, ther's NO WAY a computer will get it wrong as much as these guys do.
I agree with you and Bob & Steve. The way they can show every pitch on TV and its location in or out of the strike zone, they should easily be able to let any pitch not swung on be declared electronically.

And the 1B and 3B umpires seem to be doing a good job on determining if a checked swing on a pitch outside of the zone is a strike or not.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What's really frustrating is that everyone knows that certain umpires are garbage, yet they keep their jobs year after year.

I mean how is it possible for Brenley and co to say (which they regularly do): This umpire is notorious for having an erratic strike zone and a short temper.

So basically he's bad at his job and gets mad when people let him know. Yet he's still a major league Umpire?

Hell I've heard Joe Buck say that about Angel Hernandez during playoff games. "Boy the Umpire has really tightened up that strike zone..."

Really? I wasn't aware it was a living, evolving strike zone I dont remember reading that it changes depending on the situation in the rule book.

Computers dont favor superstars, they dont have tempers and they aren't influenced by the crowd.

It would be really interesting to see how automated strike zones affect a few superstar pitchers who regularly benefit from favorable strike zones by bad Umpires...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose