OT-Can an NBA team win a championship with IT?

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am wondering if you can win a championship with Isaiah Thomas. You need him to score a lot to off-set the value lost on the defensive end and he's very ball dominant anyway. He almost requires being the number one offensive option on a team. Boston is the perfect place for him. He led them to the number one seed but the Celtics are showing they're not built for the playoffs. How has he fared when he was not the number one option? In Sacramento, Cousins as the first option was not fond of playing with IT. Cousins is a bit of a headcase, but we saw first-hand IT's style of play here in Phoenix. It didn't mesh well. Even though, he is amazing offensively, I'm just not sure you can win a championship with him. I was wondering what everyone else thinks now???

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well no even before the thing with his sister a lot of people were saying the Bulls would win this.

Rondo is having his way with him. You have to try and hide him on defense and bottom line he's just to little.

Interesting off season coming up for Boston.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

He's getting a little long in the tooth, but I imagine IT can still play some decent D!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Le this be a lesson to anyone even entertaining the idea of Ulis as the point guard of the future. :)

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can spin it any way you like. In reality, Ulis is a very nice backup, and nothing more.

Not trying to spin it, just trying to point out the difference between the two players. Thomas is a ball dominant scorer that doesn't play defense. Ulis is a facilitator that plays defense pretty well for his size. Two different kinds of players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Le this be a lesson to anyone even entertaining the idea of Ulis as the point guard of the future. :)
different situation. Ulis would not be the primary offensive scoring option, and he is a much better defender than IT,

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. Fultz is going to go Boston if they get #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
different situation. Ulis would not be the primary offensive scoring option, and he is a much better defender than IT,
It doesn't matter how much better of a defender he is, opponents can just shoot right over the top of him. That became evident towards the end of the season when opposing PGs stopped asking for screens and went iso against Ulis because they just shoot right over him as they can see the rim clearly even if he has his hands up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see Boston get their act together and roll through Chicago. IT did not matchup well with Rondo, at all, but I think a lot of people wrote off IT and Boston after their troubling start, which was understandable given what IT had to deal with personally. I'm not sure if they can win a title with IT but that has less to do with IT and more to do with how Boston assembles the rest of their team. Golden State is ridiculously good and will be for another 2-3 years, at least. Cleveland is still the team to beat in the East. Kawai and the Spurs are much better than I think anyone predicted they would be post-Duncan and are contenders as long as Pop is coaching. If Houston can add another star they'd become contenders also.

They are getting valuable playoff experience this year and if they can make it to the ECF and win a game or two against Cleveland they could make a splash in the offseason to really challenge for a title next year. I think Stevens is a good enough coach to lead them to a title, it's matter of adding another star or two though to play alongside IT though that would be needed for them to be able to beat Golden State or Cleveland. They have the cap space to offer someone the max but there aren't a lot of good to great FA's this offseason but they definitely have the trade pieces to bring one in, it's a matter of getting the right one though. If they brought in Melo, I don't see that moving the needle but guys like Paul George and Andre Drummond will be available in the offseason like they were at the deadline. The Brooklyn pick alone should be able to fetch them a star. They own Brooklyn's pick next year and have a lot of young talent also, so who knows what they end up doing. I hope they swing for the fences though because Lebron has had it too easy out East for too long.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Glad to see Boston get their act together and roll through Chicago. IT did not matchup well with Rondo, at all, but I think a lot of people wrote off IT and Boston after their troubling start, which was understandable given what IT had to deal with personally. I'm not sure if they can win a title with IT but that has less to do with IT and more to do with how Boston assembles the rest of their team. Golden State is ridiculously good and will be for another 2-3 years, at least. Cleveland is still the team to beat in the East. Kawai and the Spurs are much better than I think anyone predicted they would be post-Duncan and are contenders as long as Pop is coaching. If Houston can add another star they'd become contenders also.

They are getting valuable playoff experience this year and if they can make it to the ECF and win a game or two against Cleveland they could make a splash in the offseason to really challenge for a title next year. I think Stevens is a good enough coach to lead them to a title, it's matter of adding another star or two though to play alongside IT though that would be needed for them to be able to beat Golden State or Cleveland. They have the cap space to offer someone the max but there aren't a lot of good to great FA's this offseason but they definitely have the trade pieces to bring one in, it's a matter of getting the right one though. If they brought in Melo, I don't see that moving the needle but guys like Paul George and Andre Drummond will be available in the offseason like they were at the deadline. The Brooklyn pick alone should be able to fetch them a star. They own Brooklyn's pick next year and have a lot of young talent also, so who knows what they end up doing. I hope they swing for the fences though because Lebron has had it too easy out East for too long.

Dude I really want to read what you write but there's just too much going on there, don't mean to be rude, so I tend not to bother.

What's your point? Make it clearly. In the message above you cover:

Boston
IT
Golden State
Cleveland
Spurs
Playoff experience
Coaching
Roster composition; free agents, stars and Melo, PG, Drummond, and picks

Any one or two of those is usually enough for one post. Again, it's not to be rude, it's because I want to read what you write, not ignore it completely.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah Boston didn't get there act together Rondo got hurt plain and simple

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does a championship come down to if your PG can defend... really? Isn't that what bigs are for?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Neither are good defenders...Fisher was somewhat clutch offensively, that's it.

Yes I know. Ppl talk about Nash's defense possibly costing us vs San Antonio. Nobody talks about Parker because he had an elite rim protection during those years. Not to mention Pop was just a better coach.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This reminds me of a Chris Rock line. ".....you could drive a car with your feet if you wanted to. Doesn't make it a good, f&*^ing idea." Defense from your point guard is a good, f^&%ing idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson