OT: Bowl games

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch bowl games because I'm a junkie, but for the life of me I don't understand the economics. Can't be on ticket sales because there's no one in the stands except for the major games.

There's just so many of them it's crazy. Is it just the sponsors paying for advertising? I've never heard of half the products that sponsor these games. Heck, the Gildan Bowl is held in Albq and I don't even know what they sell, underwear I think??

Foster Farms is sponsoring the U of A game I'm watching.. You gotta sell a hell of a lot of eggs to pick up the tab for this. I don't get it.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark in SC :)

I know what a Pinstripe is, but who paid for the game? Does pinstripe sell Yankees uniforms?

Now that I think about it, I paid for it with my DirecTv bill.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was watching the Heart of Dallas Bowl and there were more people on the field than in the stands.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The amount of people at these low-level bowls has to be a net-loss for these stadiums hosting it. At some of these games it looks like there's no more than 100 people in the stands, and I'm sure they got their tickets for free practically. Teams are paid by sponsors and TV money from ESPN, or whichever channel is broadcasting it, but I'm sure it's still a tight margin for these games. They need to start throwing free tickets anywhere and everywhere, because it makes the game worse when no one is in the stands lol.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Texas-Missouri was a decent game...
the whole Bowl season thing is way watered down these days.
and the NC is still biased towards the sec

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, the prime attraction of bowl games is footage of prospects in advance of the Combine.