OT: Bill Polian: 'I was wrong' for saying Lamar Jackson should be a wide receiver in NFL

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Polian: 'I was wrong' for saying Lamar Jackson should be a wide receiver in NFL

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...an-wide-receiver-nfl-draft-ravens/4169975002/

Sorry, Lamar Jackson. Bill Polian had you pegged wrong when he declared that you were better suited to play wide receiver than quarterback in the NFL — where you are tearing up the league as a possible MVP.

Don’t just take it from me. Listen to the Hall of Fame GM who said it, Polian himself.

“I was wrong, because I used the old, traditional quarterback standard with him, which is clearly why John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome were more prescient than I was,” Polian told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday, referring to the Baltimore Ravens coach and former GM who drafted the explosive, multi-dimensional talent with the final pick in the first round in 2018.

Alluding to offensive coordinator Greg Roman, Polian added, “And Greg found a way in how he’s developed a system to use those dynamic skills. Bottom line, I was wrong.”

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with his original opinion. Let's wait, at least, until this season is over. He could possibly be the "best receiver" to come down the pike yet. Does anyone think B B will have a plan come playoff time? I do. Running a heavy set is not unique. It just hasn't lasted yet. Jackson is still not a passer.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with his original opinion. Let's wait, at least, until this season is over. He could possibly be the "best receiver" to come down the pike yet. Does anyone think B B will have a plan come playoff time? I do. Running a heavy set is not unique. It just hasn't lasted yet. Jackson is still not a passer.
I think he is raw as a passer.
He will get better in time.imo

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

he’s had games where he has looked amazing passing the ball. He’s coming along fine

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Other Breaking news: Drew Brees was overlooked because he was short and that was a mistake

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Nothing to diminish Lamar Jackson, I think he's freaking amazing, and would have been happy as a clam if we had drafted him last year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Other Breaking news: Drew Brees was overlooked because he was short and that was a mistake
"Overlooked" as in he got picked at the same spot as Lamar Jackson? And then didn't stick with the team that drafted him?

(That's not his fault, but he was cast aside heavily when the Chargers desperately wanted to replace him with Eli Manning and then settled on Phillip Rivers.)

Brees is great, but his success is a huge outlier.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bill Polian built some powerhouse teams but he was boring AF on tv. I’m glad they got rid of him.