OT: Alliance Of American Football: Week 1

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who's watching? I'll be checking it out. Interested in seeing how the no kickoff rule and their onside kick substitute works.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I will be watching. I think it will be on the level of the fourth preseason game but the new rule ideas will be interesting for sure.

I will not be surprised if a couple of diamonds in the rough are found, my guess is the Cardinals will sign at least 1 AAF WR for camp this year, who that will be I have no idea.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll probably watch.

Nothing else going. Plus - the contest has the distinction of having comparatively little value (i.e. no championship on the line, few if any legitimate prospects, Just some new rules and a bunch of guys ballin'.)

I like that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend and I are going to the Arizona Hotshots game in person. Just out of curiosity. We are old enough that we remember going to Wranglers games.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm going to check it out it looks like it could be fun..... Or maybe a disaster LOL

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My friend and I are going to the Arizona Hotshots game in person. Just out of curiosity. We are old enough that we remember going to Wranglers games.
Which Wrangler team? The crappy first year one or the one where they swapped with Chicago? For the record, I went to Stars game too.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I lived about a mile from SDS back then, Would watch the game on tv til half time, they would open the gates right at the start of 3rd quarter and we would go in and sit wherever for free, most games.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
first there was the wranglers they merged with chicago, final team Az Outlaws!
They didn't merge with Chicago. They swapped teams in one of the strangest trades in sports history. That's how the Wranglers went from garbage to the championship game the following year. 1985 they merged with the Oklahoma Outlaws so you guys had Doug Williams for a season.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
They didn't merge with Chicago. They swapped teams in one of the strangest trades in sports history. That's how the Wranglers went from garbage to the championship game the following year. 1985 they merged with the Oklahoma Outlaws so you guys had Doug Williams for a season.
That's it!

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is arena football still around?
Yes but barely. Last season there were only 4 teams. This season there is 6 so far. They're putting a team in Atlantic City for some odd reason which is strange considering the Soul are only an hour from AC. None of the hallmark franchises are around anymore. This league is on life support and is dying a slow death.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You can download the AAF app, it’s supposed to be super interactive. Not sure all the details but you get points by guessing plays and things like that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
San Diego @ San Antonio on in my area.

Here in Chicago too, they showed a shot of the Orlando stadium not a lot of folks there, San Antonio on the other hand has around 30k fans, that is pretty good.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here in Chicago too, they showed a shot of the Orlando stadium not a lot of folks there, San Antonio on the other hand has around 30k fans, that is pretty good.
Looks like just the lower bowl so might not be 30K. SD's QB just got pasted. Knocked his helmet off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some rules this league has that has my interest:

35 second clock instead of a 40/25
No kickoff. Teams start at own 25 yard line
No onsides kick. Instead teams will get the ball on their own 28 with a 4th and 12 but you have to be down by 17 or more
No TV timeouts
Replay official in stadium, not the referee
A "Sky Judge" who will correct "obvious and egregious" officiating errors
No extra points, teams must go for 2
Each team gets the ball in overtime and get the ball at the 10
The goal is to keep games at 2 1/2 hours.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like just the lower bowl so might not be 30K. SD's QB just got pasted. Knocked his helmet off.

I was just going by what the announcers said pre game...they could be fudging numbers for sure.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can download the AAF app, it’s supposed to be super interactive. Not sure all the details but you get points by guessing plays and things like that.
App doesn't work. I'm pressing the game and nothing is happening.