Oregon State at ASU 9-29-18

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Beavers will visit the Sun Devils tonight in a game scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Arizona time.

If it is going to be televised outside the PAC 12 Network, I can't find it.

Here is the scouting report for the game from Jeff Metcalfe at the link below. Here is an excerpt:

"Arizona State (2-2, 0-1 Pac-12) returns home after losing road games to San Diego State and No. 11 Washington, each by a touchdown. This game and the next, Oct. 6 at Colorado, are among the most important of the season in ASU's pursuit of a bowl berth in coach Herm Edwards' first season.

ASU leads the series against Oregon State 28-13-1 but has lost six of the past 10 meetings, including a devastating 35-27 road loss in 2014 that helped to keep the Sun Devils from playing in the Pac-12 Championship Game. After a two-year gap, ASU won 40-24 last year.

Oregon State (1-3, 0-1) is in its first season under former quarterback Jonathan Smith, who was previously the offensive coordinator at Washington. It's been ugly so far on defense in losses to No. 4 Ohio State (77-31), Nevada (37-35) and Arizona (35-14). The win came over FCS Southern Utah (48-25)."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-state-scouting-report-prediction/1437783002/

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't lose this one. The OSU running back is good and only a freshman

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to go, Devils !!

The weekend trifecta is set up perfectly for the Cards to round out the weekend with a win.

ASU wins, UA loses, Cards?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to go, Devils !!

The weekend trifecta is set up perfectly for the Cards to round out the weekend with a win.

ASU wins, UA loses, Cards?

I try to stay detached from the rivalry stuff until it comes down to the big game. I'm perfectly happy if the Devils and Cardinals win.

I wish the Sun Devil game was televised last night.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching the game, I felt liked the defense was getting gashed in the running game too much. They have to get that squared away moving forward.

They win a game they were expected to win. Competition level goes up several notches this coming weekend.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the game, I felt liked the defense was getting gashed in the running game too much. They have to get that squared away moving forward.

They win a game they were expected to win. Competition level goes up several notches this coming weekend.

I listened to the game on the radio for awhile. Agree about the rush defense. Jermar Jefferson ran for 254 yards for Oregon State. It also seemed like Wilkins missed some open receivers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to the game on the radio for awhile. Agree about the rush defense. Jermar Jefferson ran for 254 yards for Oregon State. It also seemed like Wilkins missed some open receivers.

Wilkins has been consistent with missing receivers or overthrowing them since game 1. In terms of our rush defense? Man first couple games it looked good. Now? If I am any team playing ASU I am challenging them with the run for the remainder of the season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilkins has been consistent with missing receivers or overthrowing them since game 1. In terms of our rush defense? Man first couple games it looked good. Now? If I am any team playing ASU I am challenging them with the run for the remainder of the season.

The interesting thing, looking at the stats, ASU only gave up 7 points to Oregon State in the 2nd half.
I'm wondering if the Devils made adjustments.

OSU only lost 1 fumble and didn't throw any interceptions so it's not like they were giving the ball back.
Perhaps there is hope.

In regard to Wilkins, I have never been impressed by his passing accuracy. It especially shows this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson