Orange Bowl - Kansas vs Va Tech

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be a blow out, but probably won't be if this years weirdness rears its head again. I picked Va Tech in a blow out, so that, alone, should guarantee a Kansas win.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Va Tech has a mediocre offense, so a "blow out" would be a shut out essentially. That's not likely.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I hope this will be a good bowl game seems like all the bowl games this year have been blow outs... I'm pulling for Kansas be great to see them win a big bowl game

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

WTH does that mean?

While we are at it, what is a Hokie. What is a Hoosier?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rock Chalk Jayhawk:

The University of Kansas is built on top of a limestone hill; chalky rocks. Jayhawk is a cross between a blue jay and a sparrow hawk.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock Chalk Jayhawk:

The University of Kansas is built on top of a limestone hill; chalky rocks. Jayhawk is a cross between a blue jay and a sparrow hawk.

and how does that apply to sports?

Is it like , hooray for us we are on a limestone hill. ???

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and how does that apply to sports?

Is it like , hooray for us we are on a limestone hill. ???

Uh...it's a cheer? What does Boomer Sooner mean or why does Miami have a lame Ibis when they're the Hurricanes?

My guess is that if you don't understand why schools have traditions then you either didn't go to school or the one you did didn't have any sort of traditions

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh...it's a cheer? What does Boomer Sooner mean or why does Miami have a lame Ibis when they're the Hurricanes?

My guess is that if you don't understand why schools have traditions then you either didn't go to school or the one you did didn't have any sort of traditions

Wow, aren't we sensitive? Yes, I went to school. The fighting owls of Florida Atlantic University ( Founded 1963 ). It is built on an old Army /Air Force base site, but no one around here cheers " Runway 09 cleared for takeoff ".

Are you \trying to denigrate the Great Ibis? An Ibis defintely kicks a Jayhawk ass and I wasn't making fun of your mascot. I guess Miami has an Ibis for the same general reason Kansas has a Jayhawk. Indigenous to the area. I can guarantee you not many people knew what " Rock Chalk Jayhawk " meant before you explained it. Thanks for the explanation , but not for the lecture and insults.

BTW Tulsa is called the hurricanes and their mascot is a humanized Hurricane, so it was taken.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did my own research.

Now I know.

KU's Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you \trying to denigrate the Great Ibis? An Ibis defintely kicks a Jayhawk ass and I wasn't making fun of your mascot. I guess Miami has an Ibis for the same general reason Kansas has a Jayhawk. Indigenous to the area.

Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Jayhawks are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

-- Homer J (sorta)

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez. Mythical birds. Chalk mountains. Midget QBs. Strange place.

Maybe that would be a good setting if someone made a movie about a tornado, magic red shoes, and a man behind a curtain and it all takes place in Kansas.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a Hoya? Or a Billikin?

Kansas? Great place. My mom was born on a farm there in 1930. About two weeks ago one of her many brothers died and the siblings and offspring from far and wide flew in to Kansas City, on their way to the funeral.

Half of them never made it as far as Centralia because ice had caused downed power lines and blocked roads. The unblocked roads were treacherous and slippery and many just turned back to Kansas City.

Those who made it as far as Centralia then tried to continue on to Seneca. All but one car made it there. The guy was buried in the family plot on the farm near Seneca and the visitors checked in to the open motel of Seneca.

No power. No phones. No food. Some cell phones worked, some didn't. 26 people in three rooms. Got down to 2 degrees outside that night.

No biggie. This kind of stuff happens in Kansas every year.

Within a week, the widow was pissed because the bank wouldn't cash her farm price support check, the one they get for not growing stuff they used to grow. It was in the dead man's name.

Meanwhile, she's making gobs of money leasing the farm out to people growing ethanol-producing corn on every acre she has.

Nice to double-dip. Wish I owned a farm.

Oh, Lord, you cannot imagine how much I love Kansas. My mother was 1 of 13 children. Only the one who got the farm stayed. The 12 smart ones got out fast. Three came back and live in Kansas City. Nice place. I could live there. The rest left chasing jobs and won't return. That's life.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone once did a study on what was flatter: the state of Kansas or an IHOP pancake. Kansas won. Barely.

No, it wasn't because of Mangino. :)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone once did a study on what was flatter: the state of Kansas or an IHOP pancake. Kansas won. Barely.

No, it wasn't because of Mangino. :)

hehe. Ever been through Nebraska? At least Kansas is pretty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose