Optimistic View Moving Forward

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@DVontel made a comment in another thread that if things pan out for the Cardinals, they may have two cornerstones of their franchise on the roster for the first time in a long time when it includes a QB. I considered this statement and it did spark a thought that they actually have a very interesting positional roster under 25 right now.

QB - Kyler Murray - 22 - 1025 snaps
WR - Christian Kirk - 23 - 1346 snaps
C - Mason Cole - 24 - 1148 snaps
OT - Josh Jones - 22
DT - Rashard Lawrence - 21
DT - Leki Fotu - 21
LB - Isaiah Simmons - 21
CB - Byron Murphy - 22 - 1132 snaps
S - Budda Baker - 24 - 2601 snaps
S - Jalen Thompson - 21 - 618 snaps

Now realistically, will all of these players pan out to be all stars? No. But that is a lot of snaps and a significant amount of draft capital spent on some very important positions. Also, a group of players that doesn't include many flakes as players. Leki might be the only one out of the bunch. The rest seem to be grinders who will have long NFL careers even if they aren't huge ones. I can see Murphy having a Logan Ryan type NFL career even if he doesn't turn out to be Chris Harris. Same with Cole. He may turn out to be a younger Max Garcia, but that still carries value to a franchise. Same with Lawrence as Peters, Jones as Massie, and Kirk as Mohamed Sanu.

Just something I thought was interesting and exciting looking forward.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd been bemoaning the lack of young talent on the roster for a while now, but hopefully we get these guys some real solid experience and keep them on the roster instead of replacing them with old FAs or redrafting their position next year. If we can keep 70%+ of this core intact, it should lead to good things.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@DVontel made a comment in another thread that if things pan out for the Cardinals, they may have two cornerstones of their franchise on the roster for the first time in a long time when it includes a QB. I considered this statement and it did spark a thought that they actually have a very interesting positional roster under 25 right now.

QB - Kyler Murray - 22 - 1025 snaps
WR - Christian Kirk - 23 - 1346 snaps
C - Mason Cole - 24 - 1148 snaps
OT - Josh Jones - 22
DT - Rashard Lawrence - 21
DT - Leki Fotu - 21
LB - Isaiah Simmons - 21
CB - Byron Murphy - 22 - 1132 snaps
S - Budda Baker - 24 - 2601 snaps
S - Jalen Thompson - 21 - 618 snaps

Now realistically, will all of these players pan out to be all stars? No. But that is a lot of snaps and a significant amount of draft capital spent on some very important positions. Also, a group of players that doesn't include many flakes as players. Leki might be the only one out of the bunch. The rest seem to be grinders who will have long NFL careers even if they aren't huge ones. I can see Murphy having a Logan Ryan type NFL career even if he doesn't turn out to be Chris Harris. Same with Cole. He may turn out to be a younger Max Garcia, but that still carries value to a franchise. Same with Lawrence as Peters, Jones as Massie, and Kirk as Mohamed Sanu.

Just something I thought was interesting and exciting looking forward.
Has a chance to get younger next year, too.

I’d be very surprised if at least 2 of our first 3 picks next year aren’t CB, EDGE, & OG.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate to take the bait, but I'm going to anyway. Unless, Butler shows that "he's the man", I think we'll need a WR with our first or second pick in next year's draft. And one that plays on the outside. And I do expect Fitz to retire after this season.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Love this thought but curious why you think Leki is a possible flake?
Leki was inconsistent at Utah. I can't know why as I don't have any inside info on him. So, when I see inconsistent effort and production from a player with significant physical talent, I have to start wondering if the dedication and commitment is there. But, in fairness, you can't really know until these dudes get into their career and decide how successful they want to be. That is why I use "possible".

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hate to take the bait, but I'm going to anyway. Unless, Butler shows that "he's the man", I think we'll need a WR with our first or second pick in next year's draft. And one that plays on the outside. And I do expect Fitz to retire after this season.
You can probably start making that argument. A lot will depend Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones, the health of the o-line and how Isabella, Kirk, Butler and KJohnson develop. I still think you prioritize CB, EDGE and OL we are a long way from next years draft.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zach Allen is just 22.

I know many have given up on the three receivers drafted in 2019 but I haven't. Butler, Isabella, and Johnson are all 23.
Both Zach Allen and the WRs need to show much more before I add them to this list. I understand that I do have rookies who have not played at all on this list, but for players who have played, if all that has been shown is injury or disappointment...I omitted them.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Really curious how this DL shakes out.

DL - Corey Peters 6'3 335
DL - Jordan Phillips 6'6 341
DL - Jonathan Bullard 6'3 296
DL - Zach Allen 6'4 281
DL - Michael Dogbe 6'3 284
DL - Rashard Lawrence 6'2 308
DL - Leki Fotu 6'5 330

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to be overly optimistic but this is the most comfortable I have been with the Cardinals roster coming out of free agency and the draft for a long time.

Keim seems to have been very thoughtful putting this roster together.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love this thought but curious why you think Leki is a possible flake?

Well, If you haven't noticed he is the only draft pick the cardinals have not made available to the media, whereas the other guys have been with the media twice and had radio interviews. The few videos I have seen him speaking on have not been real inspiring either.

I think he is by far the most likely bust of the draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, If you haven't noticed he is the only draft pick the cardinals have not made available to the media, whereas the other guys have been with the media twice and had radio interviews. The few videos I have seen him speaking on have not been real inspiring either.

I think he is by far the most likely bust of the draft.
This is hilarious. What the hell does this have to do with him being on the field?

You are a very funny guy, lmao.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Leki was inconsistent at Utah. I can't know why as I don't have any inside info on him. So, when I see inconsistent effort and production from a player with significant physical talent, I have to start wondering if the dedication and commitment is there. But, in fairness, you can't really know until these dudes get into their career and decide how successful they want to be. That is why I use "possible".
The analysis I listened to about Leki was that while at Utah, he played in a 2 gap system. That may have played a role with his inconsistency? Basically, just control the gaps & not try to get much of a pocket push so to speak? Not sure how much he will play or what gaps he will be responsible for in the VJ system, but Corey Peters usually just tried to push his man back into the QB, thus collapsing the pocket. I'm excited about having Brentson Buckner back as our DL coach, he's a very fiery guy, hopefully he will get Fotu playing to his capabilities?

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Zach Allen is just 22.

I know many have given up on the three receivers drafted in 2019 but I haven't. Butler, Isabella, and Johnson are all 23.
Fans that believe in these guys(I like Johnson) probably need to temper their enthusiasm as to the typical 2nd year growth. The lack of camp work is a big loss for this group. Many first year players come in with a preconceived notion of what they need to do to be successful. They will often be more open to coaching after they experience the reality of the NFL. They now know they have to elevate their game. The coaches also see this and know which guys are a waste of their time. I’m concerned the Cards may need another vet to protect against injury. Not all of this group will move forward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fans that believe in these guys(I like Johnson) probably need to temper their enthusiasm as to the typical 2nd year growth. The lack of camp work is a big loss for this group. Many first year players come in with a preconceived notion of what they need to do to be successful. They will often be more open to coaching after they experience the reality of the NFL. They now know they have to elevate their game. The coaches also see this and know which guys are a waste of their time. I’m concerned the Cards may need another vet to protect against injury. Not all of this group will move forward.

Personally, I think if one of the three becomes a good NFL receiver, it will be worth the invest.

I'm a believer that when you have a problem spot on your roster, you throw some draft picks and bring in a group of veterans to figure it out. What Keim did last year at WR is what the Cardinals will probably need to do at CB in a year or two.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am just super happy that Keim seems to have gone away from the 29+ year old FAs on 1 year deals who are just looking for a pay check. We needed to get younger and build through the draft and he seems to want to do that now

I dont know if that was a Keim thing.

Arians doesnt like rookies/young players.

Where Keim went wrong was the year after the NFC Championship run. Keim should've known that was the year to blow it up and rebuild.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree and that is why I believe Sherfield will make the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson