Oppenheimer

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched this tonite. Good news...... Every single Oscar it was nominated for is deserved. Just a really good movie.

The last part did drag a bit, but it was okay. It wasn't really easy to follow what with the jumping around in the time frame/millions of characters. I was okay because I have some familiarity with the subject matter, but my wife was pretty much lost. I think I would have liked it better had it run the events sequentially.

4.5 out of 5 stars..... mayber 4.7

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see how this one appeals to the elderly boomers. We tried watching on peacock the other night. Involved a fast forward and then passing out the last hour...lol. Highly recommended for a great sleeping aid. :p

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see how this one appeals to the elderly boomers. We tried watching on peacock the other night. Involved a fast forward and then passing out the last hour...lol. Highly recommended for a great sleeping aid. :p
lol... a three hour biopic that made a billion dollars and is mostly just people just talking in rooms, appealed to hell of a lot more than elderly boomers.

The first 2:15 of that movie is pretty incredible, but it definitely drops off for me post that devastating scene with Truman.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol... a three hour biopic that made a billion dollars and is mostly just people just talking in rooms, appealed to hell of a lot more than elderly boomers.
I was drawn in for all 3 hours and that didn't waiver. I'm no where close to a boomer.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a big Nolan fan. This just didn't do it for us. I think the whole barbenheimer hype brought in most of the box office results. Then again, good hype works that way at times.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of day, this will win Best Picture, but for me it’s behind The Holdovers, American Fiction and the absolute bugnut crazed genius that is the masterpiece POOR THINGS.

And it’ll probably sweep most of the big awards, Director, Editing, Sound, Best Supporting Actor (even though I think Downey is the weak link in the movie and others are more deserving in his category). And man… Best Actor is REALLY close… a total toss up between Paul Giammati and Murphy. I lean Giammati, one, because he’s great, and second as kind of the makeup Oscar he should have won for Sideways. And Cord Jefferson wins Best Adapted screenplay for American Fiction.

But all in all, 2023 was a really solid year for movies. The four I listed here are all really great, in totally different ways and eminently rewatchable.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Hmmm.......

Ignored by 'Oppenheimer,' atomic test victims speak out​

https://www.rawstory.com/ignored-by-oppenheimer-atomic-test-victims-speak-out-2667397510/

Ignored by 'Oppenheimer,' atomic test victims speak out

Agence France-Presse
February 29, 2024 7:35AM ET

Wesley Burris was fast asleep in bed when the world's first atomic bomb exploded just 25 miles from his front door. A blinding light filled the home in the New Mexico desert, before the impossible force of the blast shattered its windows, spraying glass across the four-year-old boy and his brother. "It was so bright, I couldn't see," Burris recalls. "I can remember asking, 'Dad, what happened? Did the Sun blow up?'"

The test took place amid thunderstorms, despite scientists' warnings, in the race to have the bomb ready for a key World War II summit with the Soviets. Torrential rains brought toxic debris straight back down, where it irradiated the desert dust, the water supplies and the food chain. Burris has lost his brother to cancer. His sister had it too, as does her daughter.

And he himself has skin cancer, which he tries to treat with traditional Native American medicine. Despite all this, no New Mexican affected by radiation from the Trinity test has received a dime in compensation. "We were guinea pigs," said Tina Cordova, a cancer survivor who runs the Tularosa Basin Downwinders Consortium, calling for justice. "But they come back and check on guinea pigs. Nobody's ever come back to check on us."

"Wouldn't it be remarkable if during the Academy Awards, any one of them said, 'I want to acknowledge the sacrifice and suffering of the people of New Mexico,'" said Cordova. "They knew about us when they made the film -- they just chose to ignore us again."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion on the atomic legacy of Oppenheimer and the tests when the movie first came out (well, not here, but on social media)

Really appalling how Oppenheimer treated non-white males, the local residents, etc.

I get that it was a total war, and speed was of the essence, but the lack of acknowledgment and compensation afterwards is criminal

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Winner for Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, and Best Actor/supporting Actor. Pretty dang good!