Only one starter below Kyler Murray in new QB rankings

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Brian in Mesa, Jun 10, 2019.

1. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

And Patrick Mahomes had 25 starts with fairly gaudy stats, which is why he was always considered a first-round talent coming out.

If Kyler Murray had stayed at Oklahoma and put up video-game numbers for another season, he would've been the consensus top pick despite his height, I think. He made a great decision betting on himself, because he was the top pick and gets paid a year earlier.

But he'd also be losing a first-round WR and four draftable offensive linemen with significant playing experience. It wouldn't be inconceivable for him to have had a Matt Barkley-style regression. That's where the risk of the pick comes in to play.

Solar7 likes this.
  2. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

For me where he played, and the amount of top recruits Oklahoma gets with the coach in play, I still do not see how he could drop off much. I think a Matt Barkley regression is of course possible but unlikely after how he shredded Big 12 opponents. I think the only extra games which would show something would be quality over quantity being able to see how he would fare against a team like Alabama again

daves likes this.
  3. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

The thing about greatest-ever seasons is that no one has been able to repeat them, that's why they're the greatest ever. We'll never know, though.

4. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

IN COLLEGE. He WAS excellent in the following areas IN COLLEGE. Everything tightens up in the NFL. Everything changes, from speed of the game to intricacy of defenses. I'll grant you that speed, agility, hit avoidance and, to a limited ability (the game's faster at this level), escapability. Everything else might not translate to the next level. Football smarts in college don't always add up. You don't always throw a tight spiral and catchable ball when you have 2.3 seconds to throw. And so on. We all HOPE these translate and he's just as good as he was in college, but that's what it is right now: hope. The HYPE is out of control, but I sure HOPE he lives up to it :)

kerouac9 and Solar7 like this.
  5. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

Well, if that GREAT IN COLLEGE approach applies to K1, then it should apply to EVERY great QB ,past, present, and future. There should then be no excitement, hoopla, hype, Championship expectations when QB’s like Manning, Rodgers, Roethlesburger, Brees, Luck, Brady, Aikman, Mahomes, etc, etc, etc. in the future, all great college QB’s coming out will be considered guilty until proven innocent. If that measure applies to Murray, then it should apply to every QB coming out of college. Hell, that thought process needs to be applied to every player, regardless of position coming out of college. How dare people get excited about a great college player. We’ll have none of that.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  6. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

More than 50% of your list didn't go #1 overall and had significant doubts about their play. Only Manning and Luck deserved the kind of hype you guys are giving Kyler. The rest of the players had to forge their legacy on the field in the NFL.

And I still think it's laughable to put Mahomes in the same breath as those guys. It's one year. Take a breath.

7. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Of course there should be excitement, hoopla, and hype. Championship expectations? See, that's where the disconnect begins. I'm waiting for him to show up in an actual game and prove he's a decent NFL QB first. To pile championship expectations on his shoulders is so, so getting ahead of ourselves.

kerouac9, Brian in Mesa and Solar7 like this.
  8. Ronin

Ronin ASFN Contributor Contributor

Dream big?

9. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Yeah, it's all about what a reasonable level of hype is IMO. If I were to sit here and engage in the hype levels of some Murray supporters, and the kid comes out and struggles like most rookies, by game 3 I'll be demoralized and worn out. If he exceeds my expectations, cool.

Stout likes this.
  10. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Mahomes is already better than super overrated Aikman & his super stacked teams.

Krangthebrain and cardncubfan like this.
  11. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Russell Wilson comp is legit, but only assumes that Murray resembles him "on paper."

For Murray to prove how he compares to Wilson in "real games" figures to be a daunting challenge (the odds of anyone matching or beating Wilson are, by definition, uphill).

Fortunately, we're approaching that point where talk is replaced by production.

Thank God for that.

Solar7 likes this.
  12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

This year will be telling about whether or not he's "better." Let's see how things go without Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill, with a year of tape on him.

I've been a big Mahomes fan since he came out, but just throwing to Kelce and having a questionable running game is going to be concerning.

13. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Kansas City last year wasn't stacked? They had 3 All-Pros on offense who weren't Mahomes -- plus two more Pro Bowlers.

OT: Anthony Sherman made the pro bowl last year. Another great Keim move.

daves likes this.
  14. GoldGloveschmidt

GoldGloveschmidt Registered

Sherman would have sat on BA's bench for four years and then moved on. Something was better than nothing.

daves likes this.
  15. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

If you don’t think that Murray already has Championship expectations, then you don’t know how he’s wired & how he was raised. He doesn’t play football to be “decent”. He’s played at the championship level from pee wee football through college. We don’t need to place that expectation on him. I’m sure he’ll do that himself.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.