One thing from yesterday Colt vs Kyler

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wait so you and krang think kliff hasn’t improved? That this is ALL kyler improvement? I think such a stark position is foolhardy considering how little we actually know about the inner workings of each season, each game, even each play.
He has. Everyone has, but the most marked improvement is with Kyler and the numbers and film show that. He has improved at nearly every aspect of QB play. It's not even debatable.

Kliff has gotten better, but I think this years version of Kyler in last year's offense doesn't finish the year 8-8 after a 6-3 start.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Uh, what am I missing? Kyler has ALWAYS gotten a fair amount of criticism on this board.
He does, but people often attack Kliff for things Kyler does horribly.

I mean....the Cardinals just routed the rival Niners without Kyler and you saw a lot of outstanding coaching from Kliff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He has. Everyone has, but the most marked improvement is with Kyler and the numbers and film show that. He has improved at nearly every aspect of QB play. It's not even debatable.

Kliff has gotten better, but I think this years version of Kyler in last year's offense doesn't finish the year 8-8 after a 6-3 start.
Maybe, maybe not. I see lots of twists in the offense this year I didn’t see last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do we think it is because Kliff hadn't thought them up or that Kyler just wasn't ready for them?
I have no idea. I mean he had only coached at the nfl level for a year prior to last. Again I think it most likely a combination of the two.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He does, but people often attack Kliff for things Kyler does horribly.

I mean....the Cardinals just routed the rival Niners without Kyler and you saw a lot of outstanding coaching from Kliff.
Dont feel like quoting all your posts, but so far you've been right and wrong in the very same thread imo. Now something you've agreed on in the past is that Kirk is the slot has been very beneficial to the offense. Still Kyler has made a nice leap in terms of throwing tight window passes as well over middle. However, thats not the real jump imo. Its more or so Kyler extending plays and throwing on the run. I was the one who pointed how bad he was throwing on the run last year and thats where he needed to improve.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Part of the reason he's been so much this year is he's also finding throwing windows better on the run.

There is an irony about Kliff having to deal with Kyler's limitations on intermediate passes (10-19 yards) when we won a game with this from Colt McCoy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe its me, but I dont think Kliff wins this one last year. He had to greatly improve as well in order to do so.

There's also a belief that Shanahan had another disaster coaching game against us well. So a perfect storm of Kliff being great and Kyle being really bad that day.

The problem people had last year was once Kyler became limited the adjustment should have been to go more under center, run the ball and help create those easier throwing lanes. I know people wanted him to actually work on throwing on the run dating back to his rookie year. Some of that should have absolutely taken place during games good or bad. Just didnt seem like something we were actively working on. And looking at Goff (have you seen him in Detroit?) I think part of the frustration was that we saw LESSER QBS have things made to set them up to be successful when they were having a rough go.

Still with that said I think the major factor for both is we got much better on the Oline and WR core. Therefore Kyler is more confident and Kliff is more confident.
I have no idea. I mean he had only coached at the nfl level for a year prior to last. Again I think it most likely a combination of the two.
He basically spent his 1st year learning what works and doesnt work in the NFL. I find it hard to believe he had all the answers by year 2.

Edit: Just want to say that the ouside the pocket stuff from last year seemed most only broken plays where he was awful at throwing the ball. However, once I find the #s I actually believe he's been rather good as far under center stuff. Could be wrong but I thought I saw we've been successful the few times Kyler does it.

Last edited:

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Kyler could learn from Colt's game. There is nothing wrong with taking what the defense gives you. Take the checkdown, the 1st down, you don't have to run around every play or force a throw. Might end up in a sack or interception. Once the defense opens up then you can go deep.

Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've been saying since last year we dont generate those easy plays sometimes because of the lack of run action from under center.

Its more or so Kliff not wanting to do it imo. He just had to do it because of Colt and the lack of weapons
It's already known that K1 does not like going under center - verified by KK2.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCoy managed one game very well. Maybe he does so again this week, if KM isn't ready. BUT, I wouldn't push it past that. McCoy has been a backup for most of his 12 years for a reason. I am NOT bagging on him, he just is what he is. Also, he's 35 years old so that factors in as well IMO.

All in all, hell of a game for Colt, kudos to him. But I don't want him at QB past this next game at the most.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCoy managed one game very well. Maybe he does so again this week, if KM isn't ready. BUT, I wouldn't push it past that. McCoy has been a backup for most of his 12 years for a reason. I am NOT bagging on him, he just is what he is. Also, he's 35 years old so that factors in as well IMO.

All in all, hell of a game for Colt, kudos to him. But I don't want him at QB past this next game at the most.

To be clear I'm not even remotely saying Colt is better I'm just saying it was interesting to see some things worked so well under Colt that we've struggled with.

49er fans are screaming about it without D Hop and Green how were they able to throw underneath so easily why couldn't we stop that. It was because Colt made the right read over and over.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be clear I'm not even remotely saying Colt is better I'm just saying it was interesting to see some things worked so well under Colt that we've struggled with.

49er fans are screaming about it without D Hop and Green how were they able to throw underneath so easily why couldn't we stop that. It was because Colt made the right read over and over.
Yep, I got that. Not snarking at you (or anyone else) Russ. It's all good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. He played the game of his life last week. I’d be very surprised if he came anywhere close to doing the same again. That’s not a knock on Colt. Statistically that was one of the best Cardinals QB performances ever.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agreed. He played the game of his life last week. I’d be very surprised if he came anywhere close to doing the same again.
What I would expect to be the main thing that would hurt him this week is much less success in the lateral/short passing game. That was a vast majority of his throws last week and if those aren't nearly as successful than you can bet McCoy will have a lot less success this week.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep. Maybe we alternate them games if we hit a snag?! :p

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
@SoonerLou - prepare yourself, because the next time Murray throws an interception, someone is going to start screaming for Colt to be put in. It's just the way of the world sir.

Just try to focus on the all the good it will do Murray to have the most absolutely perfect "big brother" back up QB. He will benefit for years to come because of his interactions with Colt. It's a blessing man, I promise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose