one of this season's biggest mysteries is Aaron Holiday

Reaction score
At this point, I have no idea from experience what Aaron Holiday can be useful for or whether I should want him to stay after this season. That is half because, for unknown reasons, coach obviously has no interest in putting Holiday on the floor, even considering that Payne is playing poorly. If Holiday can't be relied on to replace Payne, who would know. We're getting little chance to observe Holiday.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s bizarre. He was producing in almost every game he played for us and then suddenly… he was somehow behind Elfrid Payton! A mind-boggling disappearance/demotion especially considering how atrocious Payne has been.

Resin07

Veteran
Reaction score
He always seems to produce well when put in. He had 7 points, 2 assists in his 2 minutes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get why we're giving Payne the minutes, but as one of our posters is aptly named, loyalty is a curse.

I wish we'd at least platoon Payne and Holiday. Payne had a few good moments tonight, but a lot of bad. There were several plays where the Pelicans dared him to shoot a 3... last year that would have been a terrible mistake, the Payne of the moment didn't even take the bait, he stood there, wide open and passed the ball.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It must because he sucks guys. He clearly has a bad attitude and wants things handed to him. Monty clearly sees something in practice he doesn’t like just like Stix

Did I do that right?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get why we're giving Payne the minutes, but as one of our posters is aptly named, loyalty is a curse.

I wish we'd at least platoon Payne and Holiday. Payne had a few good moments tonight, but a lot of bad. There were several plays where the Pelicans dared him to shoot a 3... last year that would have been a terrible mistake, the Payne of the moment didn't even take the bait, he stood there, wide open and passed the ball.
I get it. Payne is a great bubble story and he played pretty well last year but last year was last year. Early regular season was early regular season. He hasn't played well for a long period now and he has SUCKED in the playoffs. Monty needs to make adjustments.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I get why we're giving Payne the minutes, but as one of our posters is aptly named, loyalty is a curse

This is a very illuminating statement. I'm not sure it had occurred to me that coach is giving Payne the minutes out of mere loyalty. If that's the case, he and his staff have gone too far with loyalty. This is the playoffs, and if coach would prioritize loyalty over a requirement for excellence and immediate results, he has his priorities backward.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
It must because he sucks guys. He clearly has a bad attitude and wants things handed to him. Monty clearly sees something in practice he doesn’t like just like Stix

Did I do that right?
Nice satire. I may not be a fan anymore, but even I know that "Stix" was Jalen Smith's nickname, and so do you.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There were several plays where the Pelicans dared him to shoot a 3... last year that would have been a terrible mistake, the Payne of the moment didn't even take the bait, he stood there, wide open and passed the ball.

Oh, that was a pass? It was nowhere in the direction of the rim, but his accuracy is so bad these days, I figured it was still a shot attempt.

It's like when I'm on the golf course and someone in another group has to ask me which hole I'm on.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ehh I mean its tough to just move off of Payne because his confidence would be shot and his larger body of work is great. Holiday, stats-wise, has never been nearly the fire starter cam payne has been…i think were just looking for a scapegoat

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehh I mean its tough to just move off of Payne because his confidence would be shot and his larger body of work is great. Holiday, stats-wise, has never been nearly the fire starter cam payne has been…i think were just looking for a scapegoat
He doesn't have any confidence now. His body of work hasn't been good for over a month. His 3 point shooting hasn't been there the ENTIRE YEAR and worse in the playoffs. He statistically is one of the worst performing guards in all of the playoffs. You might be right and Holiday might not be the answer. However, Payne hasn't been the answer for a long time now. Nobody is scapegoating Payne. There is plenty of blame to go around for sure. However, Payne literally is one of the biggest negatives the Suns have right now.

This is the playoffs. You start with the things not working the most and make adjustments. Payne is right up there with what is wrong with the Suns.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He doesn't have any confidence now. His body of work hasn't been good for over a month. His 3 point shooting hasn't been there the ENTIRE YEAR and worse in the playoffs. He statistically is one of the worst performing guards in all of the playoffs. You might be right and Holiday might not be the answer. However, Payne hasn't been the answer for a long time now. Nobody is scapegoating Payne. There is plenty of blame to go around for sure. However, Payne literally is one of the biggest negatives the Suns have right now.

This is the playoffs. You start with the things not working the most and make adjustments. Payne is right up there with what is wrong with the Suns.
Indeed. As a coach, you have to at the very least TRY something different when your team is underperforming so badly, even if the different thing you try doesn't work any better. Failing to do so makes it appear that your ego is more important than the team winning... which to me is the most egregious quality of any coach, moreso than just plain incompetence. And there are lots of coaches who behave in just that way who deserve to (and inevitably DO) lose their jobs.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Indeed. As a coach, you have to at the very least TRY something different when your team is underperforming so badly, even if the different thing you try doesn't work any better. Failing to do so makes it appear that your ego is more important than the team winning... which to me is the most egregious quality of any coach, moreso than just plain incompetence. And there are lots of coaches who behave in just that way who deserve to (and inevitably DO) lose their jobs.
I think we’ll see a different Suns team in game 5. The crowd will be rockin, I think Cam Johnson keeps his hot shooting going and I think we actually get a 20 point outing from Mikal. Idk why but we’re due to make shots. Would be nice if Ingram decided to stop shooting like Kevin Durant normally does and we keep him under 30 lol.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We were due yesterday. Didn’t help.
For sure. We gotta keep shooting them if they’re gonna leave us open though. We outshot the Pels last night as bad as we were. Just didn’t overcome the free throw disparity. We’ve gotta play desperate tomorrow night. I believe in this group.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Oh, that was a pass? It was nowhere in the direction of the rim, but his accuracy is so bad these days, I figured it was still a shot attempt.

It's like when I'm on the golf course and someone in another group has to ask me which hole I'm on.
I like your profile picture, Jeff Hornacek being my favorite player ever. Might steal it. Nah, I'll use another photo of him.