Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by cheesebeef, Jul 26, 2019.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Gets a big fat old... MEH.

There's some really good scenes and solid performances, but overall, it's my least favorite film of his. And he went to the well one too many times to try and surprise and shock. I won't say how, but suffice to say, i wasn't surprised when something big happened.

If his next (and supposedly last) is actually Star Trek, which he's mused about, that will be a damn shame.

2. offset

offset i have a special purpose

I actually really enjoyed it. It’s definitely a character piece and I was way into the characters.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  3. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Release date: July 26, 2019
    Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
    Director: Quentin Tarantino
    MPAA Rating: N/A
    Screenwriter: Quentin Tarantino
    Genre: Drama, Biography

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Timothy Olyphant, Damian Lewis, Dakota Fanning, Clifton Collins Jr., Emile Hirsch, Luke Perry, Keith Jefferson, Nicholas Hammond, Al Pacino, Scoot McNairy, Mike Moh, Lena Dunham, Austin Butler, Maya Hawke, Lorenza Izzo, Rafal Zawierucha, Danny Strong, Sydney Sweeney, Damon Herriman

Plot Summary: Set in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969, Tarantino’s upcoming movie focuses on a male TV actor named Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) who’s had one hit western series and is looking for a way to get into the film business. His sidekick Cliff Booth (Pitt) who’s also his stunt double, is looking for the same thing. The horrific murder of Sharon Tate (Rick’s neighbor in the film) and four of her friends by Charles Manson’s cult of followers serves as a backdrop to the main story.

4. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I thought this film was amazing. The details were so nearly perfect I felt like I was in 1969. Brad Pitt should have been in Tarantino's films all along. He killed every scene he was in.

You knew something was coming, so the ending wasn't surprising, but they still knocked it out of the park.

Absolute Zero and offset like this.
  5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I thought this was a great movie. Maybe a tad overlong, but still a good effort--Tarantino has definitely improved as a director--the sequence with Cliff at Spahn's Movie Ranch was definitely Hitchcockian in its suspense.

6. Bada0Bing

That is a perfect analogy. Scenes like that are why I love movies so much. Bruce Dern was great casting for that role. Not only did the scene have the right amount of suspense, but it had the perfect conclusion by Cliff. What a great character.

I could have watched another hour of this film easy.

7. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Thought it was a really good movie. My biggest problem was the start. Started soooooo slow. After that? The movie was pretty damn good. I just wish they had done a better job of pacing at the start.

8. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I loved Bruce Lee getting worked over by Pitt’s character. It was a great and classic twist by Tarantino.

9. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

On the flip side, I refuse to watch it because of that. Well, I would refuse if I had the time to watch it. He's had a hate-on for Lee for too long, or at the very least passively and actively has disrespected him for many moons. I hate that.

10. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I didn’t know it was a running thing with him. I just figured it was a shock value thing since the two most talked about scenes from the movie went against what actually happened; Bruce Lee and the ending.

11. Bada0Bing

Interesting. I was wondering why that scene was in the movie. Seemed a bit out of place.

12. Covert Rain

He has? He paid homage to him by dressing Uma Thurman in a yellow jumpsuit in Kill Bill in honor of Bruce Lee from Game of Death. I recall him in an interview at that time stating Bruce Lee was a heavy influence.

Two things that scene I took as a tie to make that character look good. I didn’t care for the depiction as a plot device only because I thought an actual similar incident that really took place was funny in its own right. I have no clue if he was basing that scene on that incident or not.

My brother who worked in martial art stunts and choreography told me the story 25 years or so ago of another martial artist (Judo) who did have an incident with him on that set. They played a trick on Bruce using another martial artist. The guy surprised Bruce and picked him up but never threw him against a car. They actually became friends and trained together.

I am assuming Tarantino didn’t stick more to the actual incident because it had less entertainment value. IMO It was funny in its own right and it wouldn’t have pissed off Lee’s family I don’t think.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  13. offset

offset i have a special purpose

14. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Yeah, nice try, Q.

UncleChris likes this.
  15. Covert Rain

I couldn't remember the guys name above in my story. My other brother reminded me. His name is Gene LeBell. He is the guy that had the actual incident with Bruce on set. My brother just watched the movie this past weekend and he agrees that QT lifted his scene from the actual event even if he doesn't admit it.

Oh...and Lee's daughter is right. Q needs to shut up. He is digging himself deeper.